Problem with account linking with one step update

jim@j
jim@j Quicken Canada Subscription Windows Beta, Canada Beta Beta

One of my bank accounts was deactivated on One Step Update. I can't get it reactivated. I have numerous other accounts that synch properly. When I try to set up that deactivated account again the process works correctly up to point where the Action to Link to an Existing Account menu pops up. The account that I want to link is not in the pop up list. In fact there are only 10 accounts listed (some of them useless hidden accounts). There is no scroll down bar to find the other accounts. Is this a design flaw? I happen to have a lot of accounts, yet only 10 are listed. I need to relink this account. I am using Quicken for Windows Canada version.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I don't think that this will solve it. It may only make it worse. If I was to deactivate all links, I would face another Link to Existing Account pop up without the ability to scroll to the right account. It has happened to me before.

Well, deactivating all the accounts with that financial institution and then reactivating them is typically what needs to be done to fix this issue when trying to reactivate a single account will not set up a connection for it.

And, yes, you definitely want to get that popup to Link to Existing Account which can sometimes go somewhat wonky. When that happens try clicking on each of the fields (Type, Nickname, Action…in that order) to see if it then allows you to select the correct accounts to link them to. If that does not allow you to Link to the existing accounts, cancel the Add Account process and start the Add Account process, again.

But, since you don't want to do that, then you might want to try something that will not disrupt your current main data file at all: File > Copy or Backup File > Create a Copy or Template (under Advanced Options) > Next > select a new Unique Name for the Copy file (or you can keep the Quicken suggested file name which will be the same as your current main file with "Cpy" added to the end of it) > Save Copy.

Your main data file will be unchanged and unaffected but this new copied file will have a unique data file ID and a new Cloud Account ID so there will be no cross-talk between it and your main data file. And this new copied file will have all of the historical transactions included in it.

Open the new copied file.

1. All of the download connections are deactivated during this Copy process (again, this does not affect the download connections in your main data file).
    2. In each of the accounts that you will want to set up new connections for, enter and save the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount into the Memo field. (This is a proactive measure that can greatly help in resolving an occasional issue in which setting up a new connection will cause the Opening Balance dollar amount to get changed. That amount you enter into the Memo field will make it very easy to see if this issue did occur and what you need to change it to to fix it.)
    3. Do Add Account for your bank account. All of the accounts for that bank should download and you will get that popup where you should be able to Link the downloads to all of those accounts. If there are any account balance issues afterward, see #2 and look for and delete any duplicate transactions that might have been entered into the account register. If there are duplicates, they most likely will within just the last 90 days time period.
    4. If #3 fixes the issue for you, you can do Add Account for your other financial institutions.

If you are satisfied with the end results of this process, you can use this new copied file as your main data file going forward. If and when you are confident with the new copied file you can (if you wish) delete your old main data file.

Let me know if you tried doing this and what the results were.

It appears that Quicken saves the One Step Update configuration in the program, not the data file

FYI: The OSU configuration settings are saved in the data file, not in the program. Direct Connect login information is saved in the PW Vault which is also saved in the data file. Express Web Connect and Express Web Connect+ connection settings are saved in the Cloud Account, not in the data file nor in the program, and the Cloud Account is unique to each unique data file ID.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R58.9 on Windows 11

Answers

• Boatnmaniac

Do you have other accounts with the same bank? If so, back up your data file and then deactivate each of those other accounts. Then do Add Account and re-link all of the downloaded accounts to the accounts you already have in Quicken.

• jim@j

Thanks for your response. However, I don't think that this will solve it. It may only make it worse. If I was to deactivate all links, I would face another Link to Existing Account pop up without the ability to scroll to the right account. It has happened to me before. And backing up so I can restore after trying this won't work. It appears that Quicken saves the One Step Update configuration in the program, not the data file - I had tried that before as well. Open to other suggestions.

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓

I don't think that this will solve it. It may only make it worse. If I was to deactivate all links, I would face another Link to Existing Account pop up without the ability to scroll to the right account. It has happened to me before.

Well, deactivating all the accounts with that financial institution and then reactivating them is typically what needs to be done to fix this issue when trying to reactivate a single account will not set up a connection for it.

And, yes, you definitely want to get that popup to Link to Existing Account which can sometimes go somewhat wonky. When that happens try clicking on each of the fields (Type, Nickname, Action…in that order) to see if it then allows you to select the correct accounts to link them to. If that does not allow you to Link to the existing accounts, cancel the Add Account process and start the Add Account process, again.

But, since you don't want to do that, then you might want to try something that will not disrupt your current main data file at all: File > Copy or Backup File > Create a Copy or Template (under Advanced Options) > Next > select a new Unique Name for the Copy file (or you can keep the Quicken suggested file name which will be the same as your current main file with "Cpy" added to the end of it) > Save Copy.

Your main data file will be unchanged and unaffected but this new copied file will have a unique data file ID and a new Cloud Account ID so there will be no cross-talk between it and your main data file. And this new copied file will have all of the historical transactions included in it.

Open the new copied file.

1. All of the download connections are deactivated during this Copy process (again, this does not affect the download connections in your main data file).
    2. In each of the accounts that you will want to set up new connections for, enter and save the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount into the Memo field. (This is a proactive measure that can greatly help in resolving an occasional issue in which setting up a new connection will cause the Opening Balance dollar amount to get changed. That amount you enter into the Memo field will make it very easy to see if this issue did occur and what you need to change it to to fix it.)
    3. Do Add Account for your bank account. All of the accounts for that bank should download and you will get that popup where you should be able to Link the downloads to all of those accounts. If there are any account balance issues afterward, see #2 and look for and delete any duplicate transactions that might have been entered into the account register. If there are duplicates, they most likely will within just the last 90 days time period.
    4. If #3 fixes the issue for you, you can do Add Account for your other financial institutions.

If you are satisfied with the end results of this process, you can use this new copied file as your main data file going forward. If and when you are confident with the new copied file you can (if you wish) delete your old main data file.

Let me know if you tried doing this and what the results were.

It appears that Quicken saves the One Step Update configuration in the program, not the data file

FYI: The OSU configuration settings are saved in the data file, not in the program. Direct Connect login information is saved in the PW Vault which is also saved in the data file. Express Web Connect and Express Web Connect+ connection settings are saved in the Cloud Account, not in the data file nor in the program, and the Cloud Account is unique to each unique data file ID.

• jim@j

Thanks for the incredibly thorough response. I appreciate it. I do agree that what you are suggesting will work but I still have the stubborn issue of the Link to Existing Account pop up does not have a slider to select other accounts. As a result I will likely end up creating new accounts to link. Just adds some extra complications when managing the portfolio. It will have to do until Quicken figures out the slider issue.

This discussion has been closed.