Fidelity Credit Card Online Balance

Senor Irrelevante
Senor Irrelevante Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
edited August 17 in Investing (Windows)

Starting 6/25/2024, the online balance now downloaded from Fidelity has a different sign than the balance maintained by Quicken. Quicken shows money owed as negative. Fidelity now shows it as positive. The account can no longer be reconciled, except to check that the Cleared Balance in Quicken is the same amount but the opposite sign of Statement Ending Balance downloaded from Fidelity. The financial institution I'm using for downloads is "Fidelity - Investments & Retirement Accounts" since connecting through "Elan Financial Services" downloads a balance of dollars only without the cents. Quicken Classic Premier R57.16 on Windows 11.

Comments

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26

This is being reported in other threads, as well. I am experiencing it, too. Here are two threads that I know about.:

This issue appears to be happening with both the Elan Financial Services or from Fidelity - Investments & Retirement Accounts so I'm assuming this is a feed issue from Elan and not a Fidelity caused issue.

Also, please report this to Quicken via Help > Report a Problem.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R58.9 on Windows 11

• james.mccoy1
    james.mccoy1 Member ✭✭

I have the same issue as above with my Fidelity - investments & Retirement Accounts credit card but i am also getting a CC-601 error stating "we cannot find an account with a non-zero balance". Everything was fine until yesterday 6-25-2024. I tried resetting the account but I am still getting the error.

• Senor Irrelevante

I have found that Quicken's "Reset Account" button does not always work. You might try doing it manually instead. Go to Edit Account Details, Online Services and click on "Deactivate". When it's finished, go to the General tab and clear the Account Number and Router Number fields. Click OK to save and close. Then, reopen Edit Account Details, Online Services and "Set up Now" from scratch.

• Senor Irrelevante

Boatnmaniac, I tried switching back to "Elan Financial Services" for my Fidelity Credit Card when the "Fidelity - Investments & Retirement Account" connection started reporting the opposite sign for the online balance yesterday. I had been using the Elan connection for years beforehand. However, while the Elan connection reports the correct sign for the balance, for me it reports only the dollars (and no cents).

• Boatnmaniac

I no longer run Elan in my main data file. I, too, ran with Elan for several years because it was so dependable but starting last Sep the Elan connection started to become pretty problematic. I finally switched over in my main data file to the new Fidelity EWC+ connection in early April after testing it in a test file for about 2 months. And I've been pretty happy with the new Fidelity connection because it has been much faster and more reliable than Elan has been for these last 9 months.

I do run Elan in a couple of test files to be aware of issues that come up and to see when they are resolved. This positive number Online Balance issue, for me at least, popped up with Elan the evening of 6/24 and by mid-day on 6/25 that issue went away. However, there are others who are posting today that they are still having this issue with Elan.

I had hoped that the Fidelity connection would be resolved by this morning because Fidelity gets its data feed from Elan so there is a 12-24 hrs delay before the data shows up in Fidelity. But I am dumbfounded that Fidelity is not resolved now because Elan is still correctly downloading the Online Balance as a negative number. So I wonder if the feed from Elan to Fidelity is perhaps broken?

Anyway, Elan's dropping of the cents in the Online Balance after first setting up the download connection has been an issue for at least a year. For me, the dropped cents issue usually self resolves when I run OSU the next day. Hopefully that will happen for you tomorrow.

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27

Thank you for posting. I was worried it was just happening to me. I am getting the same error message.

Resetting the Fidelity - Investments & Retirement Accounts did not help.

I downloaded without errors around 8am EST and a transaction downloaded into the Fidelity Credit Card account. Then I did an OSU again about an hour later and got this problem with the Fidelity Credit Account. Strange.

As recommended by @Boatnmaniac , I reported the problem.

Just an FYI, after the first successful download this morning, Quicken somehow changed the beginning balance on the Fidelity Credit Card account by increasing to $2944.74 = 1450.81 (cleared balance) + 1493.93 (wrong online balance) which resulted in a bad running balance in the register. Once I changed the account beginning balance back to $0.00, the running balance displayed correctly while the online balance still shows incorrectly as positive. Additional downloads yield a CC-601 error.

Deluxe R58.9, Windows 11 Pro

• Boatnmaniac

This is the 1st and only significant issue I've had using the Fidelity - Investments & Retirement Accounts download link in the more than 4 months that I've been using it. I really thought it would be self corrected by now since downloads from Elan Financial Services self corrected 2 days ago and Fidelity gets their data feed from Elan.

Today I did Reset Account and that did not fix the issue.

I also did a Deactivate/Set Up Now and that did not resolve the issue, either.

The Elan Financial Services connection is still working well so for those who do not wish to wait for the Fidelity connection to get fixed they can always deactivate Fidelity and then do Add Account or Set Up Now with Elan. Just be aware that those who are making this switch are reporting that the cents are dropped from the Online Balance. Usually, but not always, that issue does go away with running OSU again 12-24 hrs later.

• Boatnmaniac

Did you run OSU with Elan today and did the Online Balance now show the cents?

• Senor Irrelevante

I received the CC-601 error on my Fidelity Card using the "Fidelity - Investments & Retirement" connection today. It worked fine yesterday. The error resolved after deactivating and reconnecting to the same online services. However, it returned after a second test update. I then deactivated and connected to "Elan Financial Services". As it was updating to the new Elan connection, the correct negative balance with both dollars and cents showed, but then the cents were truncated off when the update completed. This make it appears that some setting or logic in Quicken is doing the truncating. A second test update with the Elan connection did not resolve the missing cents.

• Boatnmaniac

When the Elan connection drops the cents from the Online Balance running OSU a 2nd time shortly after the 1st OSU usually will not resolve the issue. It usually requires OSU to be run, again 24 hrs later (sometimes as early as 10-12 hrs later) for the missing cents issue to be resolved.

By switching back and forth between Elan and Fidelity without waiting until another OSU with Elan has been completed 24 hrs later means that the dropped cents issue will likely not go away. It will, instead, just keep returning every time you do a new connection set up or a Reset Account with Elan.

I suggest that you do not deactivate the Elan connection at this time. Keep it set up and try running OSU, again, tonight and see if the missing cents issue is resolved.

If it is not, try running OSU, again tomorrow morning and see it if it is resolved. If it is not resolved after this OSU then it might not go away for you…at least not for awhile.

• Boatnmaniac

I got the CC-601 error code this evening, as well. Reset Account resolved it for me….but it did not fix the Online Balance issue.

Should anyone get the CC-601 error code and Reset Account does not resolve it see this Support Article: https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-using-online-services-cc-601/ .

• Senor Irrelevante

Thanks Boatnmaniac! I took your advice and kept the Elan Financial Services connection set up. On running OSU 8 eight hours later, the connection resolved the missing cents issue on my Fidelity Card balance. On the CC-601 issue with the Fidelity Investments & Retirement connection, I was also able to resolve by resetting my account, but it promptly returned on the next OSU. So, I'll stick with the Elan connection as long as it keeps working. According to the Support Article you provided, if CC-601 occurs during an OSU, Quicken will need to fix it by reviewing users' logs and there may not be an immediate solution.

• leishirsute

Resetting the Fidelity - Investments & Retirement account was successful. The reset changed the beginning balance in the account and I had to make the beginning balance $0.00 for the running balance to be correct.

Updating the account afterwards triggered a CC-601 error. So still broken for me. I may try the Elan connection if the Fidelity connection is not resolved soon.

• leishirsute
    edited June 28

"The Elan Financial Services connection is still working
    well so for those who do not wish to wait for the Fidelity connection
    to get fixed they can always deactivate Fidelity and then do Add Account
    or Set Up Now with Elan. Just be aware that those who are making this
    switch are reporting that the cents are dropped from the Online Balance.
    Usually, but not always, that issue does go away with running OSU again
    12-24 hrs later."

@Boatnmaniac Curious. Do you know if the dropped cents for Elan connection is an existing problem that Quicken support is still working, or do they consider it a closed issue?

I'm trying to determine if I need to report it as a problem.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

JUST got a Fidelity Credi tCard. When I try to add it as a new account in Quicken, it does not show as an available account. Should I be trying ELAN? The CC does appear on the Fidelity app and website so would be surprised. And IF I should try ELan, is it the same login / pass as my Fidelity accounts?

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

Tried adding Elan. I do not have a login and pass for there, so must be under Fidelity.

I AM and have been Direct connect with Fidelity. Could that be the issue? Is it risky to change? Can the credit card be EWC only and investment DC?

• Boatnmaniac
    edited June 28

@leishirsute - The dropped cents Online Balance issue for the Elan connection has been a persistent problem since at least Dec 2022. IMO it has been perhaps the most significant and predominant issue with the Elan connection since at least Dec 2022.

There was at least one Alert posted for this issue and it was marked "Resolved" on 4/25/2024. Here is the link to it but since it has been archived it might not viewable:

Last night I switched my main file connection from Fidelity to Elan and like others who have posted here I, too, got the dropped-cents Online Balance issue. So, it seems pretty apparent that this issue was not resolved or it has re-emerged. (BTW, during OSU this morning Elan did download the correct Online Balance with cents included.)

I will continue to monitor the Fidelity connection Online Balance issue in a couple of test files.

It is always a good idea to report problems like this to Quicken. If we do not do that then Quicken might not ever know that the issue exists. And the more people who report an issue, the higher the visibility for the Quicken team and the more likely it will be able to prioritize fixing it.

• Boatnmaniac

Fidelity Investments is the DC financial institution and the Fidelity credit card cannot be downloaded with this one. It is the best connection for downloading investment accounts data because it supports both Complete Investing and Simple Investing.

Fidelity - Investments & Retirement Accounts is the EWC+ financial institution. This is the one to use downloading the Fidelity credit card….but it currently has the problem of downloading the Online Balance as a positive number instead of a negative number preventing reconciliation to the Online Balance (which is the subject of this discussion thread).

This EWC+ connection can also be used to download investment accounts data but it supports only Simple Investing….it does not support Complete Investing. So those who do switch to this method for their investment accounts will lose the Account Registers and all visibility to the transactions history and will instead see the Simple Investing Dashboard.

So, if Complete Investing is important to you, then do not use this connection for investment accounts. Make sure during the Reauthorization process to select only the credit card and do not select the investment accounts.

And to answer your question: Yes, you can have Fidelity Investments set up for your investment accounts and you can have Fidelity - Investments & Retirement Accounts set up for the Fidelity credit card all at the same time and they do not conflict with each other.

Elan Financial Services is an EWC financial institution that can be used for the Fidelity credit card when you have an online account set up with Elan. When you set up the online account with Elan, you can use whatever UserID and PW that you want. Some people use the same login as they use with Fidelity while others select something else….it's a personal choice.

• leishirsute

"It is always a good idea to report problems like this to Quicken. If we
    do not do that then Quicken might not ever know that the issue exists.
    And the more people who report an issue, the higher the visibility for
    the Quicken team and the more likely it will be able to prioritize
    fixing it."

@Boatnmaniac - I reported it again. Hopefully, Elan download will show cents tomorrow. I really prefer using the Fidelity connection because the Elan connect downloads unwanted numbers (probably transaction reference number) into the memo fields and the Fidelity connection doesn't

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

Thanks onced again @Boatnmaniac I woul dhave had no idea. In fact, had to scroll forever to find Fidelity - Investments and Retirment. No clue this was the one. But it worked :)

Now to try to remember how to set the register to match the other CC registers :)

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28

@Boatnmaniac just tried to add account as online biller and unsure which Fidelity to choose there. The Retirement and Investment is not a choice as an online biller. And it corruputed my billers which I will now attempt to fix…

UPDATE All back with quite a bit of hassle. Now to try to figure how to add this as an online biller again.

• Boatnmaniac

OSU Results This Morning:

ELAN: Continues to download the correct negative Online Balance number and new transactions.

FIDELITY:

• Test File #1: The Online Balance was fixed to the correct negative number and a new transaction was downloaded BUT it also returned a CC-601 error code. Running Update Now returned returned the same error code. Doing Reset Account deactivated the account with a message that the account was not found at Fidelity. The account could not be set up for downloading, again.
    • Test File #2: OSU returned an error code of CC-506. Update Now returned the same error code. Doing Reset Account deactivated the account with a message that the account was not found at Fidelity. The account could not be set up for downloading, again.
    • Test File #3: OSU returned no error code, the new transaction was downloaded and the positive Online Balance issue was still present. Update Now did not change this result. Reset Account deactivated the account with a message that the account was not found at Fidelity. The account could not be set up for downloading, again.

IMO, the results with the Fidelity connection is a good indication that somewhere at Fidelity, Intuit and/or Quicken the issue is being worked on. Time will tell if this is actually the case.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited June 28

Thanks for reporting it.

Also, you can stop Elan (or any financial institution) from entering downloaded information into the Memo field. Go to the Online Services tab of Account Details, check the box for Don't update memo when downloading and then click on OK.

• Senor Irrelevante

Bob, for now, the "Elan Financial Services" EWC connection is working better than connecting thru Fidelity for the Fidelity Credit Card. Elan provides the credit card services for Fidelity (like for example, Citi Bank for Home Depot's credit card). I connected through Elan for years until they made website changes last September that ran afoul with Quicken. You'll need to register for an account at Elan before you can connect it to Quicken. Go to https://www.myaccountaccess.com/onlineCard/login.do to register (with different credentials than your Fidelity account). There are no concerns using different connections. My Fidelity investment accounts are DC thru "Fidelity Investments" with the credit card EWC thru "Elan Financial Services".

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

Thanks. I am already setup for a Fidelity acct for this card so prefer to stick there. BUT, I also just found the correct online biller. SO many Fidelity choices it is not obvious. Have not tried it, too tired to unwind another online biller breakdown if it happens. But wil try Monday.

Amazing nobody tells you these things :)

• leishirsute
    edited June 28

@Boatnmaniac Thank you for the valuable info about the memo setting. The online balance now shows the cents for the ELan connection. That may be why Quicken considers the issue resolved, even though not immediately after activating the connection.

• Boatnmaniac

Yesterday I started to get some recurring error codes (CC-601, CC-506….QWin error codes) doing OSU with the Fidelity connection in 4 different files. And doing Reset Account in two of the files broke the download connections and they could not be reauthorized, again. This was all new for me with regard to this issue so it made me think that Fidelity and/or Intuit and/or Quicken were working the issue.

Today:

• I was able to get the Fidelity connection reauthorized in those 2 files.
    • All 4 files returned the same CC-601 and CC-506 error codes.
    • No new transactions downloaded.
    • IMPROVEMENT: 3 of the 4 files showed the correct negative Open Balance number.

So, there is still an issue with the Fidelity connection but there seems to be some improvement. Keeping my fingers crossed that by Monday this issue will be resolved.

I also should mention that the Elan connection corrected the positive Open Balance issue for me 3 days ago (resolved the no cents issue 2 days ago) and it has been running well since then.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

OK :)
    My first two transactions with my new Fidelity Rewards card cleared. As mentioned above and suggested, I had to add the account to Quicken by scrolling waaaay down to Fidelity Retirement and Investments instead of the expected Fidelity Investments on top. It did find the proper account and did its first download of transactions yesterday. BUT, It took both transactions, totaled them, called it opening balance and added it as a deposit instead of two separate credit card changes.
    So now I see this:

OF course, as it only sees what it thinks is a deposit?
    How would you fix this? @Boatnmaniac
    ?
    While I am at it :) I cannot seem to add this account as an online biller. There seems to be no Retirement and Investments account I can find there and using Fidelity Investments brings up wrong user or password, which it is not as those work for ALL my fidelity accounts. Where and how to add there?
    Thanks!

• Boatnmaniac

@Bob. - I see this thread has not been updated (like the other threads have been) since 6/29. I'll provide a quick reply here because I need to get on the road in a few minutes and will not be able to reply for a few days. You can view the other threads (referenced at the top of this thread) to see what others have been posting and to get more information.

ADD ACCOUNT for FIDELITY - INVESTMENTS & RETIREMENT ACCOUNTS: You don't need to scroll way down to find this one. Simply type it in the search field making sure to include a space on each side of the dash and it will show at the top of the list.

FIDELITY - INVESTMENTS & RETIREMENT ACCOUNTS: This FI is not working. Do not use it until the issue(s) get fixed.

1. The improvements noted in my 6/29 post have reverted to positive Online Balances.
    2. The CC-601 error code happens consistently.
    3. In my 4 test accounts (I am no long using this as my default for this credit card…only have these 4 test accounts): No transactions have been downloaded since 6/27 and the Online Balance has not been updated.
    4. Resetting the account will often change the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount to be double the positive Online Balance amount. This will change the current balance (in the Balance column) to match the Online Balance. Weird.
    5. Deactivate/Reactivate: Does the same thing as #4….if it will even allow setting up the connection.
    6. Online Biller: I don't use this feature so I cannot comment on this other than to say that the CC-601 error code might be affecting the ability to select this FI as an Online Biller. (Just a guess.)

ELAN FINANCIAL SERVICES: This FI has been working well for me (and others) since 6/27. This is the one that it seems most people are now using for downloading transactions for the Fidelity Visa card.

1. The first time the connection is set up (and frequently when resetting or deactivating/reactivating) the cents for the Online Balance will be dropped. This is an long time issues with this FI that has been a problem for perhaps 2 yrs. This will prevent reconciling to the Online Balance.
    2. Usually (not always), leaving the connection intact and unchanged for 12-24 hrs and then running OSU or Update Now, again, will resolve this dropped cents issue. (Some have said the issue is resolved when running OSU or Update Now just 6 hrs later.) Once the cents are shown in the Online Balance reconciling to the Online Balance then works correctly.

Gotta go. Have a great 4th of July!

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

Thanks. You as well. Will do my research here :)

This discussion has been closed.