Quicken for Mac Reconcile Screen Really, Really Wrong

Craig R
Craig R Member ✭✭

Wow, this is so wrong it's not even funny. [Removed - Violation of Community Guidelines]

Using latest version of Quicken for Mac. Anyone else hitting this?

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25

Who is the financial institution and what kind of account is it?

I started seeing this exact same thing (where the Online Balance and the Quicken Balance are the exact same numbers but the Online Balance is wrongly shown as being a positive number when it should be a negative one) yesterday evening with my Fidelity Rewards Visa card. For me this is happening with both the Elan Financial Services download and with the Fidelity - Investments & Retirement Accounts download setups. I suspect it is an Elan issue because Fidelity gets the account data from Elan.

For me, this is not an issue related to Pending Transactions because Fidelity does not yet support downloading of Pending Transactions and in a test account Pending Transactions has not been enabled with Elan.

I have this credit card set up in 3 different data files to observe how the various Pending Transactions options affect the downloads and data in the accounts and this issue is common to all of them.

I am not seeing this any other financial institutions or accounts in any of my main or test files.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R58.9 on Windows 11

• Craig R
    Craig R Member ✭✭

That is exactly the institution and account I am seeing it on. It is a Fidelity Credit Card backed by Elan Financial Services.

And, like you, I am not seeing it on any other accounts, Fidelity or otherwise. I even have another credit card backed by Elan (but not through Fidelity), and that data is fine too.

• Boatnmaniac

I am going to report this issue to Quicken since I just updated the card again and it is still an issue. In QWin I can do this via Help > Report a Problem.

I suggest you do the same but I am not sure how to do that in QMac.

• Boatnmaniac

I decided to try updating this credit card one more time before submitting the problem report to Quicken. The issue with Elan now appears to be resolved and I was able to reconcile the account to the Online Balance because it is now a negative balance (as it should be).

The issue still exists with the Fidelity download set up but I'm guessing that will go away by this evening or tomorrow morning since it generally takes 12-24 hrs for Fidelity's records to get transactions/balance updates from Elan.

So, I did not submit the problem report at this time.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

@Craig R Just as a side note, remember that in Quicken Mac, you can always reconcile to a balance you enter instead of "Online Balance" if something goes a little screwy like this with a financial institution. It's easy to miss, too. Click the Back button to the left of the blue Finish button; that takes you back to the "How would you like to reconcile your balance?" screen, where you can select "Use statement balance". (Even if you are reconciling mid-month and not to a statement, just log in to your credit card account online, see what the balance is, and enter it in Quicken.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Craig R
    Craig R Member ✭✭

OK that's quite helpful.

• Fidelity is still reporting an incorrect balance on my account, but I'm in the UK at the moment and time zones make it kinda screwy. I will keep this support question open until it looks resolved on my end.
    • In the meantime, I have entered the balance manually and reconciled, so account is all set. You are right - it's not very intuitive where to do the manual reconcilation. But your instructions were very clear.

Thank you @jacobs and @Boatnmaniac for your assistance!

• Boatnmaniac

Today my connection via Elan Financial Services is still correct as shown in this picture.:

I had anticipated that the Fidelity - Investments & Retirement Accounts connection would have updated overnight to correlate with what Elan showed after it self-corrected yesterday but that has not occurred as shown in this picture.:

Since the Fidelity connection still is reporting the incorrect balance (correct number but as an account credit and not as an account debit) and did not self-correct like the Elan connection did yesterday I am reporting this to Quicken and referencing this post thread so they can clearly see what the issue is.

• Craig R
    Craig R Member ✭✭

Thank you for contacting them @Boatnmaniac. 3 days after your last post I am still getting incorrect balances from the Fidelity connection as well. I will keep this thread open until it's resolved.

• Boatnmaniac

@Craig R -

Yesterday I started to get some error codes (CC-601, CC-506….QWin error codes) doing OSU with the Fidelity connection in 4 different files. And doing Reset Account in two of them broke the download connection and it could not be set up, again. This was all new for me with regard to this issue so it made me think that Fidelity and/or Intuit and/or Quicken were working the issue.

Today:

• I was able to get the Fidelity connection re-established in those 2 files.
    • All 4 files returned the same CC-601 and CC-506 error codes.
    • No new transactions downloaded.
    • IMPROVEMENT: 3 of the 4 files showed the correct negative Open Balance number.

So, there is still an issue with the Fidelity connection but there seems to be some improvement. Keeping my fingers crossed that by Monday this issue will be resolved.

I also should mention that the Elan connection corrected the positive Open Balance issue for me 3 days ago and it has been running well since then. Other QWin users are reporting the same thing. I do not know if this is also the case for QMac users.

Which financial institution are you set up…..Fidelity or Elan?

• Craig R
    Craig R Member ✭✭

It's setup for Fidelity, but it has now been 3 weeks and they are still giving me the wrong sign on the online balance. I am no longer getting error codes. To make things worse, transactions are being dropped in the file. There are transactions that clearly show up on the Fidelity web site that are not listed in the Quicken file. They seem to be random.

I give up. I will just keep adding the missing transactions and correcting the balance manually. The only reason I have this card is because I'm temporarily living in the UK and the Fidelity card doesn't charge foreign transaction fees. As soon as I leave the UK I am cancelling the card. I will consider all this hassle as payment-in-full for not paying the transactions fees. Wish I would've know this sooner though.

Again, thanks for all your help!

• Boatnmaniac

Yes, the Fidelity - Investments & Retirement Accounts download setup still is not working correctly. We don't know if this is a Fidelity issue or if it is an Elan issue or if there is something in the download file that causes inconsistent and bad Quicken results. No matter what, this Fidelity setup link is not working and there is nothing we can do to fix it. We just need to wait until Fidelity, Elan, Intuit (the aggregator) and/or Quicken get it fixed. My guess (and it is a guess) is that the feed from Elan to Fidelity is somehow broken.

Rather than canceling the Fidelity Rewards Visa Card, you might want to try doing what it appears most others (including myself) are doing: Deactivate your connection with Fidelity - Investments & Retirement Accounts. Then set up the connection with Elan Financial Services who is the issuer of this card. This Elan connection (at least for QWin) has been correctly working (no positive Online Balance) and downloading transactions since 6/26. One person even posted in another thread that they contacted Fidelity tech support and was told by them to download from Elan at this time.

If you don't have an online account set up with Elan, yet, you can set that up at https://www.myaccountaccess.com/enroll/user?appId=trancore&tenantId=ICSELAN&channelId=web . It is not obvious that this is an Elan webpage but if you scroll down to the bottom of of that page you will see that it does say that there. Some people use the same login for Elan.com that they use with Fidelity.com. Others prefer to use a different, unique login for Elan.com. It is the user's choice as to which to use.

If you do decide to set up the download connection with Elan: Deactivate the Fidelity connection for this credit card. Make sure to Link the Elan download to the credit card account already established in Quicken.

Also, when the Elan connection is completed the Online Balance might not include any cents. This is a long-time (at least 1-1/2 to 2 yrs) problem with Elan that sometimes happens when a new connection is set up or the connection is reset. Do not deactivate the connection. Instead, just wait for 12-24 hrs (some say they only needed to wait 6 hrs) and do One Step Update, again. Most people say that this issue self-resolves then and the cents will be included in the Online Balance going forward.

Another option for downloading after your online Elan account is set up that you might want to consider (QWin offers this option with Elan so I'm assuming QMac does as well): Deactivate your Fidelity connection for this credit card and then use the Web Connect (WC) connection method. In case you are not familiar with WC, it is where you log into your online Elan account, manually download transactions from there in the QFX ("Quicken") file format and then import that file into Quicken. The first time you do this you will want to carefully select the transactions date range for downloading and then carefully Link the download to the credit card account you already have set up in Quicken. Future downloads/imports via this method should automatically link to the credit card account.

This discussion has been closed.