Windows 11 - Unable to backup data file

Pacheco
Pacheco Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

I installed Quicken on a new Windows 11 PC. Latest backup file loaded ok. When trying to backup data file I get the following error "unable to open source file". Clicking OK shows new error message: "Quicken cannot open data file because it is in use by another application, such as a cloud storage backup. Please close that application or turn off cloud storage sync and try again. Clicking OK shows "Unable to re-load current file after copy." I’m not using any cloud storage (Quicken Mobile and Web nor Dropbox). Does anyone have an idea what’s causing this issue?

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello @Pacheco,

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling Quicken? Please refer to the following support articles for instructions on uninstalling here and reinstalling here.

However, after you have uninstalled and before you proceed with reinstalling, please open your Windows File Explorer and navigate to This PC > C: Drive > Program Files (x86) and delete the folder titled "Quicken" (doing so does not affect your data files). After you have deleted this folder, go ahead and try reinstalling.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Q97
    Q97 Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

Find your Quicken .qdf data file in File Explorer, right click on it, and choose Properties. What does it say under Location?

• Pacheco

Q97 file is located in C:\Users\oepac\Documents

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pacheco Is that folder being monitored by OneDrive or any other "automatic backup" software?

When Q takes a backup, it first closes the data file to force all write operations to conclusion and then re-opens it for the backup.

OneDrive, and the others, grab the data file during that moment when it's closed an prevent Q from re-opening it.

The remedy is to NOT let them backup the actual data file … but rather the Q-created backup.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Martha C
    Martha C Quicken Windows Subscription Member

How do I keep Q One Drive from gravving the data file and I can't back it up

• jeeper
    jeeper Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭

I thought that Win11 was as a default using OneDrive across the entire /Documents/ folder - unlike Win10 -

• Pacheco

I followed advice from Quicken Anja (uninstall then reinstall Quicken) and still having the same issue. As far as I can tell I'm not using

one-Drive or any other cloud storage. How can I determine if another program is grabbing the data file before quicken does its thing?

• Pacheco

Installed R57.16 and still have the same issue —Unable to backup to local PC

This discussion has been closed.