Extra Files Along with the ".qdf" Database File

jco61
jco61 Member ✭✭

Situation:

I'm constantly copying the .qdf (database) file from my desktop computer to my laptop computer so that I can do my work using two different computers. I simply put it in Dropbox then from the other computer move it to the correct folder. When I decide to switch computers, I repeat the process for the other computer. This might sound strange, but it seems to work for me.

Question:

How important are the files listed below:

Homeacct.qdf.cashadj, homeacct_OldSyncLog.dat, homeacct_SyncLog.dat, HomeacctOFXLOG.DAT

They don't seem to be used, but I'm sure they keep certain records. I'm not sure if they come into play when you have a corrupt .qdf file that requires fixing.

I'm just curious and don't want to create a problem down the road.

Thanks

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

These files are "log files", that are basically used for debugging. You can delete them, but they will be created again.

There is no need to keep them for backups.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jco61
    jco61 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Okay, that is good to know. If just logfiles, who do they benefit? I can't open them in notepad.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You can't open them in Notepad because they have personal information in them and as such are scrambled. You can open them using Help → Contact Support → Log Files

When using the "default report", as in selecting one from the menu, there isn't any way to change the default margins/columns.

But if you save a report, it "should" save the size (which basically controls the outside margins of the report)/position of the window and the columns.

I put should in quotes because from time to time this has been messed up in Quicken and sometimes doesn't work for some people.

Signature:

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

These files are "log files", that are basically used for debugging. You can delete them, but they will be created again.

There is no need to keep them for backups.

Signature:
  • jco61
    jco61 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Okay, that is good to know. If just logfiles, who do they benefit? I can't open them in notepad.

• jco61
    jco61 Member ✭✭

My other issue with the margins whenever looking at a report. I posted the questions and apparently somebody answered but I did not know or get notified. After a month, the question was closed, therefore I cannot respond. for this reason, I thought I would ask you.

Say I have a report and I've moved all the margins so width so that I can read the information. If I make any changes to quicken, the report immediately goes back to its "Narrow Margins" requiring me to move them all over again. This is frustrating. Is there any way to lock-in the margin's width (save these settings)? Even on a saved report, the margins are always messed up requiring rework. Thanks, and especially thanks for letting me ask a 2nd question on this thread.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You can't open them in Notepad because they have personal information in them and as such are scrambled. You can open them using Help → Contact Support → Log Files

When using the "default report", as in selecting one from the menu, there isn't any way to change the default margins/columns.

But if you save a report, it "should" save the size (which basically controls the outside margins of the report)/position of the window and the columns.

I put should in quotes because from time to time this has been messed up in Quicken and sometimes doesn't work for some people.

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.