Please Bring Back the Ability to Reassign Keyboard Shortcuts (Q Mac)

Frank O'Neil
Frank O'Neil Member ✭✭✭
edited July 12 in Display/UI

In the old days (My data goes back to 1988) there was the option to reassign keyboard shortcuts. I always reassigned Print Report (Command+P) to Print Checks. The logic is that I rarely print reports and it's no trouble to use the dialog box when needed. However, I print checks more often, so being able to use Command+P for the more frequently used task makes more sense. If granting blanket reassignment is a coding nightmare, maybe provide a preference for Command+P that toggles printing reports or printing checks.

1 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13

Is Command+J not available to start the Print Checks procedure?

(Quicken for Windows users can use CTRL+W from the checking account register)

• mybank2002
    mybank2002 Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16

I know this is not the direct answer to your question, but I override other commands on occasion (or make them more comprehensive) and made a lot of Quicken shortcuts with Keyboard Maestro. It is my favorite software on Mac, and I use it hundreds of times every day for things like this and much, much more. It is quite cheap for what it does. You can also over ride menu commands through the MacOS.

• jacobs
    jacobs Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

You can actually reassign keyboard shortcuts on your own right now! 😀

It's not built into Quicken, because it's built-in functionality in macOS.

You can assign, or reassign, command key shortcuts to any command which exists on a menu. Here's how (based on macOS Sonoma; it's similar but slightly different with older operating systems):

• From the Apple menu, select System Settings
    • Scroll down to find Keyboard on the left side
    • Click Keyboard, then click the Keyboard Shortcuts button on the right side:
    • Click App Shortcuts on the left side:
    • On the right side, you can specify if you want to create/change a keyboard shortcut for All Applications or for a specific application.
    • In this case, you want to make a shortcut just for Quicken, so click the + icon to add Quicken to the list:
    • Click on the All Applications dropdown menu and scroll down to select Quicken.app
    • For Menu Title, you must type the name of the menu item exactly — same spelling, capitalization, exactly. In this case you want a keyboard shortcut for the menu command "Print Checks…" (You have to type the three dots as part of the menu title.)
    • Then enter the Keyboard shortcut you want — in this case Command P
    • If you enter a shortcut which is already in use by macOS or the application, this will override it — so be careful if you choose keyboard shortcut which is already defined. You can use The Command, Option and Control keys, so you can create an alternative to an existing command if you don't wan to replace it. For instance, you could leave Command P as defined for Print, and assign Control P to Print Checks. But if you want to change Command P to be for Print Checks, then you can do so.
    • Click Done and verify that the command(s) you defined are correct:
    • Now go to Quicken and pull down the File menu to see that your keyboard shortcut is reflected right in the menu:

And there you have it: a custom keyboard shortcut. This works for any menu command in any application. (Dropdown menus within dialog boxes won't work; it only works for menu items from the main application menu bar.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993