Broadcom post split pricing begun too soon in Quicken Classic

jlukes
jlukes Member ✭✭

When I download transactions Quicken has the Broadcom split pricing beginning on 4 July instead of the beginning of trading on 15 July. My guess is that someone didn't type 14 July but posted 4 July when they posted the split impact.

Best Answer

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Q doesn't originate that info … it comes from your brokerage. Blame them.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Q doesn't originate that info … it comes from your brokerage. Blame them.

• jlukes
    jlukes Member ✭✭

Later that day the early split problem went away. However, as it was apparently corrected by Schwab they didn't correct the figure for the holiday, July 4th. Strangely, it still shows the after split amount.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I think what you are seeing is a result of the third party quotes supplier. Such sources typically adjust older prices for splits. See screensnip of current Yahoo data:

So a post split quotes download into Quicken can fill in older dates (and maybe overwrite older data) with the split-adjusted prices rather than the real (unadjusted) prices for those dates. It is really a tricky problem to work around.

Within Quicken, if you look at the price history details, data from you broker is typically only Price - Hi, Lo, and Vol are 0. Data from the third party supplier typically include values for Hi, Lo and Vol.

• jlukes
    jlukes Member ✭✭

Thanks much for that clarification and the screen shot of Yahoo's listing. A few hours after I sent my note a later update via Quicken provided the correct pre split pricing for all days except July 4th. Where there should have been no data, as you saw in Yahoo, Quicken somehow showed the after split price - even though it showed the before split price on both the day before and the day after.

On other listings Quicken had the same price as the day before for their July 4th prices. Someday it would be nice to not have to deal with such things - but at least the AVGO pricing is now better.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

July 4 shouldn't have ANY quote for any US security. The market wasn't open on that holiday.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@NotACPA Yet the Download Quotes data supplier continues to provide quotes for all weekday holidays - Memorial Day, Good Friday, June 19, etc. They use the prior date close in all cases I have seen.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I just took a look at the Price History for one of my stocks … and much to my surprise there WAS a quote for 7/4. Wonder why they do that when it's just the 7/3 quote repeated and not an actual 7/4 quote.

• jlukes
    jlukes Member ✭✭

Hi again and thanks for checking your own screen and confirming that I'm not the only one who wonders why the highly paid folks at the brokerages or those who process those quotes haven't yet noticed that they are populating quotes for days when the US market is closed.

This discussion has been closed.