Question on how to add medical bills

Danno99
Danno99 Quicken Windows 2017 Member ✭✭✭
edited August 18 in Using Quicken on the Web

Hey all, I just downloaded this software and I'm overwhelmed. I get the idea of adding accounts, and such, but I want to be able to add what I've spent on medical bills. When I pay these bills I have to go to their website and make the payments there. I might be wrong, but they don't show up on my bank statements? Would there be a way to download them from Anthem (for example)?

Many thanks!

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Medical expenses, like any other expense, are a CATEGORY. I'd recommend that when you make a website payment, that you also record it in your bank register, in Q, as soon as possible.

That way, you'll know when it cleared and you'll have the category correct. Your bank has no idea what your category should be … and doesn't download the category.

BTW, my "Medical" sub-cats were set-up to align with the IRS Sched A … so that when I produce my year-end tax report, everything already calc'd.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

When you pay a medical bill at Anthem's website, how do they get their money? Do they debit your checking account or one of your credit cards?
    If so, you should find historical Anthem debit transactions in the designated account register at the bank or credit card company. Now it's just a matter of properly recording this information in Quicken and giving each transaction a proper Category.

Here is the list of Categories I use:

• Danno99
    Danno99 Quicken Windows 2017 Member ✭✭✭

This was the info that I was looking for. This should help me quite a bit.

It's overwhelming at first!

This discussion has been closed.