How do I use a specific price when transferring shares between accounts?

jlukes
jlukes Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

I transferred shares between my IRA and my Roth and there's only the four choices available. When Schwab did the transfer they used a specific price which I'd like to enter into my register.

Best Answers

• jlukes
    Answer ✓

Thanks to you both for your very prompt responses. I did as Rocket J Squirrel recommended and was pleased that Q didn't even ask me to specify lots. I had already withdrawn my RMD so there's no tax impact this year, but I wanted the accounting correct for whatever tax impact my heirs may encounter.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Having taken your RMD for this year does not exempt you from paying taxes on this additional distribution.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• jlukes
    Answer ✓

Rocket J Squirrel, you are absolutely correct that withdrawal from a traditional IRA is taxable. I had already looked at the tax impact before making the transfer and have now entered it into my other income in my tax planner.

As an excuse for my no tax impact this year comment is that I guess I was focused on ensuring that my Roth entries were exactly correct for the possibility that my heirs will need to deal with that.

Thanks again for your very prompt assistance.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

After you make the transfer, go into the security list for each security and set the price there.

BUT, such pricing is really irrelevant as the next quotes download into the account will set a new, as-of-the-download, quote. And, such pricing has nothing to do with your gain/loss on the investment as that's established by your prior buys & sells of each security.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rocket J Squirrel

This is not a simple "transfer shares" because of the different tax treatments of the accounts. You should enter this as a Sell in the trad IRA, a transfer of the resulting cash to the Roth, and a Buy in the Roth. The IRS wants to tax you on the trad IRA distribution.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rocket J Squirrel Good Points. I'd missed the differing acct types.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• jlukes
    Answer ✓

Thanks to you both for your very prompt responses. I did as Rocket J Squirrel recommended and was pleased that Q didn't even ask me to specify lots. I had already withdrawn my RMD so there's no tax impact this year, but I wanted the accounting correct for whatever tax impact my heirs may encounter.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Answer ✓

Having taken your RMD for this year does not exempt you from paying taxes on this additional distribution.

• jlukes
    Answer ✓

Rocket J Squirrel, you are absolutely correct that withdrawal from a traditional IRA is taxable. I had already looked at the tax impact before making the transfer and have now entered it into my other income in my tax planner.

As an excuse for my no tax impact this year comment is that I guess I was focused on ensuring that my Roth entries were exactly correct for the possibility that my heirs will need to deal with that.

Thanks again for your very prompt assistance.

This discussion has been closed.