Update Balance has no drop down for category

TSKinSV
TSKinSV Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

I used to get a drop down to select a category. For at least a year now, that drop down disappeared. Instead, it defaults to Misc as the category. This is specifically with liability accounts. When I look for information on Update Balance it always shows a screen shot with the category drop down. I waste time having to manually change the category after I use this, and it is a pain since sometimes I forget and come tax time have to chase down transactions I know are missing in reports. Any idea how I get categories back?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

So, why don't you simply input a transaction that changes the balance … and uses your desired category?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• TSKinSV
    TSKinSV Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

That is more work than changing the category each month as I would now have to do a calculation each month to figure out the amount for the transaction. With using Update Balance I only have to enter the current balance (typically cut and paste) and Quicken does the calculation. Real question I would like answered is why I am not seeing the category drop down that is in every screen shot I see in quicken help from Update Balance. I attached screen shot from Quicken Help and this is what the screen use to look like with category dropdown. It seems like someone accidently removed the capabilities from one of the releases and the product team has not noticed.

This discussion has been closed.