Ability to automatically "unsplit" categories [Edited]

Jwstevens
Jwstevens Member ✭✭
edited July 30 in Product Enhancements

Sometimes Amazon splits an order into two or three separate orders after the total order has already been entered into one split transaction. It would be nice to be able to automatically "unsplit" the items in that transaction, rather than having to do it manually.

2 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8

If that happens to me, I just simply move the complete order's transaction, Splits included, from the credit card register into an offline holding account.
    When Amazon charges my credit card for two or more separate orders, I record those in the credit card account register as transfers to the holding account.

In my holding account (which I call Personal Accounts Payables … couldn't think of anything better … :-) this is what it looks like:

When all individual orders have arrived, the balance in the holding account should be back to 0.00

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

For that to happen, Amazon would need to download to Q what's in each of those partial shipments and the amounts thereof.

They don't, ergo Q can't.

@ukr's reply is probably your best option.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If a manually entered split transaction is in the register, Q has all the info it needs to "unsplit" it into individual transactions.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8

OK. So let's take an example of a single Amazon order which was recorded as a single Split Detail transaction and executed as 3 separate shipments and therefore 3 credit card charges.

Amazon doesn't download individual order details to the credit card for each separate shipment, so there are no category assignments until you manually record the transactions.

How do you suggest that Quicken "unsplit" the above, assigning correct Sales tax amounts to those portions that are subject to Sales tax? And how many separate transactions will you need? 2? 3? More? (3 in this example)

Without my crystal ball I'm just not seeing a solution here which can be easily and quickly programmed into Quicken.

Maybe the holding account really is the easiest way to solve this problem.

• Jwstevens
    Jwstevens Member ✭✭

Assuming sales taxes are included in the transaction amounts, I would envision an option in the Split dialog box under the Edit dropdown menu that would allow the split. Something like "Remove from split and convert to separate transaction".