Adding a Coinbase account

ElPope
ElPope Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

I have a Coinbase custodial account that I'd like to track in Quicken. Is that possible? I'm confused by the term "Coinbase Bitcoin Wallet" as I can find no such thing outside Quicken. There is a "Coinbase Wallet" - is that the same thing? Of course, that is the non-custodial wallet that Coinbase supports and is NOT what I'm asking about.

Side Note: I did a search for "Coinbase" in the Community "Search" and got zero results. Seems sus.

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Quicken Mac Subscription Moderator mod

Hello @ElPope,

Have you attempted to connect your accounts using the provided instances within Quicken? If so, what exactly occurs? Do you receive any error codes or messages?

Let me know!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• ElPope

What do you mean by "provided instances"? Do you know the answer to my question?

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod

Thank you for your reply,

The provided instances would be your connection options. Based on your original post, it sounds like you saw the options, but neither looked correct, so you didn't try to connect? If you did try to connect, did you get any error messages/codes?

You mentioned that custodial accounts are different from regular wallet accounts. Is the login URL (web address) you use when logging into the account directly through the financial institution website different? If so, what is that login URL?

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• ElPope
    edited August 2

@Quicken Kristina I'm sorry Kristina, you're not answering any of my questions. The only "connection" to Coinbase I see is labeled "Coinbase Bitcoin Wallet". The account I want to connect is not a wallet, so I'm assuming without even trying that it won't work.

The other thing that concerns me is that there is no such thing as a "Coinbase Bitcoin Wallet". There is "Coinbase Wallet", but it's not specific to Bitcoin. This concerns me because it makes me think that perhaps Quicken has no clue what it's doing. Your non-answers only bolster those concerns.

So, I'll ask again - does Quicken support connecting to a custodial Coinbase account, and if so how? I think that question is very clear and specific. Your response, if you choose to respond, should be an answer, not more questions.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins Quicken Windows 2017 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

The questions you were asked were good faith attempts to understand what your real problem is. I too am confused by your question and why you feel Quicken does, or should, know the answer to your question. I think you may have some misconceptions.

"So, I'll ask again - does Quicken support connecting to a custodial Coinbase account."

That's the wrong question: the question should be "does Coinbase support downloading to Quicken?".

[It is 100% the financial institution's choice as to whether to permit downloads to Quicken and what accounts they allow to download.]

There are two simple ways you can answer your own question: - attempt to setup the Coinbase account using the existing Quicken Financial Institution name; if the existing Quicken Financial institution name does not work for you, then you probably won't be able to download your Coinbase transactions - dig deeper into the issue by contacting the financial institution for clarification - ask for their Quicken liaison person. The Coinbase phone number for Quicken users appears to be (888) 908-7930

One other piece of information that MAY be of interest: you say you "have a Coinbase custodial account", but you don't say what "type" account it is. The Quicken Financial Institution, "Coinbase - Bitcoin wallet", will process "Banking" (checking and savings) accounts, and "Credit" (credit card) accounts. If your real-world account is not a Banking or Credit account (if it is an "Investment" account, for example), it will likely not be available for download to Quicken.

Again, the ultimate answer lies with the financial institution.

Note: the "Quicken" Financial Institution name is nothing more than a name - its only requirement is that it be unique among Quicken financial institution names. The name may be (and usually is) somewhat descriptive, but the name itself is not definitive. The name would provide the same results (while being less descriptive) if it was "Coinbase - abcdefg" ...or even just "abcdefg".

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.