Moving from Mac OS to Windows OS

Steven H.
Steven H. Quicken Mac Subscription Member ✭✭

I’ve had quicken on my Mac for quite a long time and have most recently began using a PC. How can I take the information that was saved as a quicken backup on my Mac and move it to my quicken on my PC? Also, if this can be done, will it also export all the financial information to the PC too and I won’t have to reestablish a connection to the institutions?

Answers

• kirk
    kirk Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 15

Steven,Look at this article.

I don't think you can import a Quicken Mac backup into a Quicken Windows version. It appears you have to export from your current Quicken Mac data to a .QFX .QXF file type vs. import a Mac version backup. Good Luck.

[fixed typo]

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

You will need to export your QMac data in a QXF file and import that QXF file into your QWin installation. You will not be able to take your QMac backup file and use it with QWin. If you no longer have your Mac, maybe you can borrow someone else's, install QMac on it and then export the data from your backup file in the QXF file? You can read up on this at https://www.quicken.com/support/converting-your-data-quicken-mac-0/. . Scroll down to the section header that says, "Convert from Quicken for Mac to Quicken for Windows".

In answer to your 2nd question: QMac and QWin are totally different applications and they have different FIDIR (Financial Institutions Directory) lists. Most financial institutions support both QMac and QWin but not all support both. And of those that do support both, they might support them in different ways (such as different connection methods, different types of accounts supported). While most financial institutions are supported by both QMac and QWin, the FIDIR files are not cross compatible. So, once you get the QXF file imported into QWin you will need to set up the financial institutions for downloading, again.

I do not know how well all the other financial information transfers over. At one time investments data did not transfer from QMac to QWin but I believe that issue has now been resolved.

This is about the extent of my knowledge on this subject. Perhaps someone with more knowledge on this will pipe in here and provide you with some additional or better guidance.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

This discussion has been closed.