Can I switch from Mac to Windows (US)

Options
Tony Robinson
Tony Robinson Member ✭✭

Years ago, I bought Quicken for Windows, than converted to Mac. I am now leaving the Apple universe and going back to Windows. Will I have to buy a new license, or merely download the Windows version? Will converting my data back to Windows be a problem?

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Tony Robinson,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. The subscription version of Quicken allows you to install on as many computers as you would like, so you would be able to just download and install Quicken.

You can convert your file. I have copied the applicable information from our article on file conversion below:

Convert from Quicken for Mac to Quicken for Windows

Important: The option to convert data from Quicken for Mac to Quicken for Windows is available, but completing this conversion with a file that contains investment accounts will result in investment data loss.  Always make a backup of your file prior to attempting a conversion and review your information in the converted file.

1. Open your data file in Quicken Mac.
    2. Choose File > Export > Quicken Windows Transfer File (QXF)....
    3. Save the .QXF file to media that will allow you to move it to your PC, such as a thumb drive or CD/DVD. You can also use Dropbox to move files. For more information, click here
    4. Move the media (thumb drive or CD/DVD) to your computer running Windows.
    5. Open Quicken for Windows.
    6. Choose File > New Quicken File.
    7. Select New Quicken File, click OK.
    8. Name your new data file and press OK.
    9. Choose File > Import and then select the .QXF file from your media.

Note: These instructions assume that you are converting subscription version of Quicken for Mac to the Subscription version of Quicken for Windows.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Most users have reproted that their banking accounts (checking, credit cards) migrate sucessfully but their investment accounts do not. It's possible that the Quicken Windows team has made some fixes in this area, so (a) good luck! and (b) please report back on your experience when you import the QXF data file in Quicken Windows.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.