Recovering old files

user8671981
user8671981 Member ✭✭
edited September 17 in All Things Canadian (Windows)

I have some old Quicken files from 2005 and a few other years. How is it best to recover these files? Also, some that I forgot the passwords - any way to open them? Thanks in advance

Answers

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming that you have the latest available version of Quicken Classic Windows, Canadian or US version, installed on your computer, I recommend that you NOT use this computer to perform the old file conversion.
    You cannot have two or more versions of Quicken programs installed on one Windows system. You need a separate Windows partition or a second computer system to perform file conversions from whatever old, pre-2017 Quicken version last opened (or attempted to open) these old files.
    You do not want to upset your Quicken Subscription software environment and installing any, older or newer, version of Quicken uninstalls the existing version. Therefore a 2nd computer or partition will be needed.

The procedure to update / convert your old files is discussed here: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

As far as the forgotten data file password is concerned … you may find information about a procedure for recovering forgotten data file passwords, but this is only available for data files of the current file version, not old data files last used by older Quicken versions.
    The only thing you can do on your 2nd system is to install the intermediate 2013 software version referred to in the above document and attempt to open those old data files. Keep trying variations on your data file passwords … what might you have used? X, XXX, xxx, Abc123? Just keep trying.

If you are / were using the Canadian version … I'm writing this from a point of view of a US user and am not sure if the conversion process, using US software, will work with a Canadian data file format. This might throw a monkey wrench into your conversion attempts …

Last comment: If you (or anybody else who reads this discussion) have separate old data files, like archive files or Year End Copy files from prior years lying around, unused for years …
    I recommend you open each of these old data files once a year with the latest available software release. This will ensure that the old data files are updated to the latest database structure and therefore remain compatible with your installed Quicken software, without the need for further conversion procedures.

I hope that helps with your data file conversion.
    Good luck!

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure the "Earlier Version" instructions apply to the Canadian version, on the other hand, I'm pretty sure that the current Quicken version can open and convert the 2005 version. There shouldn't really be a need for any intermediate version.

As for passwords. In general, I do believe that Quicken Inc can bypass the file passwords but will only do so for converting to the latest version. At least that is what I understand from the posts on here. You would need to contact Quicken support to see if that is possible.

Official Quicken® Support - Phone, Chat, or Community

Note there might be a toll free phone number in your Quicken account if you log into

Quicken Personal Finance and Money Management Software | Download Quicken

I believe that is only for the higher editions, but maybe someone can just post the toll free number, which has been posted on here before, but I don't have it.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.