Uncategorized Transactions

Hello,

The majority of my credit card expenses download without a category. Is there any way to improve this? If no, what is the most effective way to add a category to multiple expenses at once? Many of the expenses are repeat items.

Thank you

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

The financial institutions that you download from have no way of knowing what your categories are … they aren't downloaded.

I customarily input my transactions manually and assign the categories (I split most transactions) then. So, the download becomes a confirmation that I got the info correct. It also allows me to easily spot un-input transactions (I discovered multiple frauds this way) or txn that I simply recorded in the wrong account.

You might also look into memorized transactions with $0 value. That way you can get the categories as you want and merely update the amounts

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

The first step is to use Renaming Rules to get consistent payee names. For example a renaming rule to change payees Starbucks Store#123 and Starbucks Store#456 into payee Starbucks.

Once you have consistent reading payee names, create Memorized Transactions to map the payee to a category. For example payee Starbucks to category Dining:Fast Food.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list