80 yr old using 2005 & need help installing/using in Win10

RDG
RDG Quicken Windows Other Member ✭✭

I'm too old and my needs are minimum so updating to a newer version is just not an option.

I copied files from the install disc onto the hard drive and installed from there but cannot get rid of prompts to register and update.

Also, I have another, separate, problem. At some point I opted to add dates to the backup and now have endless layers of backup folders and long file names. I get a warning about the # of files or backup when I start Quicken. Is there a safe way to rename the necessary folders and files and start anew without loosing the data?

I'm unsure of where to post or how to ask for help, so if this is not the right place to ask, I would appreciate being redirected.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If your file names have multiple dates in them, that indicates that at some point you opened a backup file (rather than Restoring it) and then took (perhaps multiple times) a backup of that file … which appended another date.

I'd identify the location of that file, close Q, and use Win File Explorer to rename the file to delete all of those dates.

The multiple layers of folders were created for the same reason. A Q Backup typically goes in a folder immediately below the location of the file being backed up. When you opened a previously backed up file, in a backup folder, and then backed that file up you created yet another layer.

SO, after you've done the above renaming, move the newly renamed file to a Quicken folder (C:\Quicken) and double-click on it to open it.

Immediately take another backup, and then consider "thinning the herd" by deleting many of those sub-sub-sub folders

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• volvogirl
    volvogirl Quicken Windows Other SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

i don’t understand why you don’t want to upgrade. You should at least try to convert to the 2013 version since you don’t use any online services or download transactions now.  Then it should run on newer versions of Windows.  Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data. I’m staying on 2013.

2013 should run on Newer Windows.  You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article.  It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.  Click on the Blue words....Quicken 2013 for Windows in step 3.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• volvogirl

Oh and you do need to update 2005 if you don’t want to upgrade to 2013. Update and Upgrade are different things. One of the SuperUsers has posted the update patches for older versions (2000 and newer) of Quicken

http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-patches-us.html

• RDG

After asking for help, I found the courage to take this on myself using a text editor to change the file name I found in some of the Quicken files and also files in the Roaming App data. I backed up these files just in case it didn't work, but IT WORKED. I had tried renaming the files when backing up at the end of a session but always got some sort of error message. I was too timid to attempt a unique name. I kept the one name that was at the end of the long, long, file name, deleting everything between it and "DATA_". Thank you for caring enough to answer. It really means a lot. Best wishes!

• splasher
    splasher Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

To clear the registration request, try holding down the CTRL+SHIFT+ALT when clicking on One Step Update on the Tools menu.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• RDG
    edited August 24

Opps. Was trying to reply to volvogirl

• RDG

Thanks for the link to the update patch. Nothing happens when I say "yes" to update so maybe this will stop the program from asking me to do that! I'm 80 and just fearful that a newer version would have a different look and setup. I did not like the online update of my bank accounts so even when the software was current, my setup and use was pretty basic. Perhaps I'll be forced to upgrade Quicken since Windows is dropping support for Win10. Thanks to you, I at least know it is possible to do so for free and the right version to choose if I do. That's gives me hope and a bit of confidence, too. Thanks so much.

• RDG

Nice surprise. I'm getting a newer used computer and so will be going through all this again in about a week. I'll likely need to try this then and will let you know if this takes care of the problem. Thanks so much.

• volvogirl

Also about 2005……… If your Quicken was before 2010 you should have several files making up the data.  The main data file ends in .QDF.  All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .QDF .IDX, .QEL, .QPH  and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF starting in 2010. 

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• RDG

Yes. This is the case and I was successful in changing the names of all. First I had to use the text editor to alter the names stored in the ini and data files and in files in AppData/Roaming.

• splasher
    splasher Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm 80 and just fearful that a newer version would have a different look and setup.

It was about 2008 that the user interface (look) of Quicken really changed, so moving from 2005 to 2013 or current version will be quite different. If you are getting a different computer in a few weeks, might I suggest that you download and install the 2013 version that @volvogirl refers to and install it first and just play around with it creating a couple of accounts to see if it is too different for you tastes. Doing it at this point will mean that you can try it and delete it without messing up your current setup.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• RDG

I was hoping my computer would outlive me as I was quite happy with Win7 and Q2005, along with a lot of other old software I own. I go back to the days when one got a hard copy of the DOS manual with a new computer! Since I dread Q2005 continually asking me to register I will take your advice and give 2013 a try on my "new" computer. Maybe I'll be surprised and like it better. Thanks, again.

• RDG

Thanks everyone. SOLVED: Here is what ultimately stopped Quicken from crashing during the install. Someone else shared posts about this same challenge on "sevenforums" and said NOT to opt to have it start after installing but to halt at that point and create a shortcut to the Quicken start file. Still the program crashed so I installed the patch (thank you volvogirl) and it is working perfectly now.

I did try importing my data into Quicken 2013. It had transactions going back to 2007 that were overdue! I tried editing the scheduled transactions but it remained a complete mess.

Thanks again to each of you for taking the time to help!

This discussion has been closed.