Different business entity where Payee appears the same

System
System Member admin

This discussion was created from comments split from:

Expansion of tag field in transaction views

Comments

• IAmMikeRana
    IAmMikeRana Quicken Mac Subscription Member, Mac Beta Beta

This might be related, but stores such as Walmart have a different business entity for their gas stations than their retail store, but they show up under the same Payee. If I'm looking at both the Payee and the amount, short of having the retail store amount be $200 and the fuel price being $50, am I better to rename the payee in my register so I can differentiate them? As it is, I already have separate spending categories for Fuel than for Groceries.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

That's what I do with Costco - regular purchases are "Costco" and gas purchases are "Costco Gas". Although with Costco the actual payee name downloaded from the bank is different as well when it's a gas purchase - "COSTCO GAS" vs "COSTCO WHSE" - so that helps.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

For my Kroger purchases, I have as payees: Kroger, K-Gas, K-Pharm. And the Kroger payee itself regularly gets split into Groceries, Wine, Household Misc, Sales Tax, etc.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 31

@IAmMikeRana Take a look to see if the original Payee name sent by the financial institution might be different between Walmart stores and gas. To do this, click on one of the downloaded transactions from Walmart and do View > Show Inspector. Look near the bottom of the pop-up window for the "Statement Payee" field. This is exactly what comes from the financial institution, before Quicken tries to "clean up" or standardize the name. If the Statement Payees are different, then you can create local Renaming Rules to flow into two different Payees. (If this is the case, post back here and we can walk you through how to create the Renaming Rules.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993