Scotiabank - CDN Quicken Classic Downloads

Monica_
Monica_ Quicken Windows Subscription Member

Scotiabank is not supporting Quicken download as of January 1, 2025. Only providing CSV and excel download functionality. I've called Quicken support centre and didnt seem too interested in helping with a solution. Scotiabank advised it is a security issue on their end, and appear to be immovable on subject. Bank has launched new web version to ease change, but hard stop to old version is as of Jan 1/2025. Is there a solution to keep downloading transactions feasible?

Comments

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭

Which downloading method are you referencing: Web Connect or Express Web Connect or both?

Did the make any reference to the pending Open Banking regulations?

• JW_YYC
    JW_YYC Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

Really? I found this thread because I was looking for the .qfx downloads in their new app. If this is true I'd consider changing banks. I've been doing this for 20 years.

• CAN-User
    CAN-User Quicken Windows 2017 Member ✭✭

I have been having issues since I switched to the new Scotiabank website; no new transactions are being downloaded, errors when updating accounts; CC-569 error. I have tried numerous times to de-activate and re-activate accounts to no avail, and multiple time to reset accounts. Where does Scotia mention that they will be stopping the support for Quicken download as of Jan 1, 2025?

• Organone
    Organone Quicken Canada Subscription Member ✭✭

I have also received communication from Scotiabank that they will not offer Quicken downloads when the new web version goes live. Message from Scotia below.

Would appreciate if anyone has suggestions of other Canadian banks that offer Quicken downloads, especially Express Connect.

Thanks
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sep. 4, 2024

Hello,

Thank you for your email..

I am happy to answer your question.

No, unfortunately Quicken is not available on the new online platform.

If you require further assistance, please write back or call our Contact Centre. Our Representatives are available 24 hours per day within North America at 1-800-4 SCOTIA (472-6842) or from outside North America call collect at (1) (416) 701-7200.

Thank you for choosing Scotiabank. We value your business and look forward to assisting you again in the future.

Warm Regards,
    Shelley M| Customer Care Advisor | Communication Centre Support Team

• Arctic Hare

There is an important and relevant development that isn't being discussed in this thread… Canada is poised to enact Open Banking legislation, which requires the banks to make your data available to you via prescribed "open" formats. This legislation is expected to be ratified this fall. The major banks have been preparing for this eventuality and Open Banking may very well be what has caused Scotia Bank to drop Quicken support.

I would invert the question/issue posed in this thread… that is, I think the important question is whether or when Quicken will support the Open Banking API connection method? Reason being, the banks must provide that connection interface - by law. It would not be surprising if they drop Quicken Support now that they must support Open Banking.

The other consideration here is, how long will it be before the other Canadian banks drop Quicken specific support in favour of Open Banking. I know that BMO already has the Open Banking connection visible in its newest online banking portal; it doesn't presently do anything, but the stub is there already.

I've raised the Open Banking question with Quicken and they appeared to be unaware of it, which is remarkable, if true.

I would encourage those of you who have have lost or are about to lose Quicken support from your Canadian bank to petition Quicken to adopt the Open Banking API connection for Canadians.

I have come to the somewhat sad conclusion that we are seeing the beginning of the demise of Express Web Connect - at least in Canada. I bank with RBC and BMO and have used EWC connections for decades… but have recently had to give up using EWC with both of those banks for different reasons. EWC is no long viable for a host of reasons. I predict that Open Banking is the future for Canada. Let's hope that Quicken joins the Open Banking party pretty soon… not in 5-10 years from now.

• JW_YYC

Great point on Open Banking, Arctic Hare. Is there a thread where we can specifically voice our support to Quicken?

Unfortunately, the reality is likely that if the legislation is ratified, there will be some transition period allowed, and so even if Quicken supports the standard, if Scotia is dropping Quicken support Jan 1, 2025, there will likely be a period of time where importing of transactions is very difficult.

• Arctic Hare

My understanding (which might be inaccurate) is that the major banks are already or have already developed their Open Banking APIs. The delay seems to be one the Quicken side.

Where can you express your interest in Open Banking to Quicken? There are a few Options - you can choose any or all of them:

1. Use the Report A Problem feature under the Help menu to report the issue with Scotia Bank and to mention the possibility that Scotia Bank is moving to Open Banking. This approach will not attract any kind of response, but it does send a signal to Quicken.
    2. Call Quicken's phone support and discuss your concern about the ending of Support for Quicken downloads and inquire as to when Quicken with support the Open Banking protocol. Try to get your issue escalated to Tier 2 support.
    3. Start a new thread specifically on the topic of Open Banking here in the Community.
    4. Send a message to the Office of the President - go to https://www.quicken.com/about-us/ and scroll to the bottom of the page and fill out the form. Be sure to include links to information on Open Banking.

Here are some links to info on Open Banking:

https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-consumer-agency/services/banking/open-banking.html

https://www.pwc.com/ca/en/industries/banking-capital-markets/canadian-banks-2019/what-open-banking-means-for-canada-financial-landscape.html

https://stripe.com/en-ca/resources/more/open-banking-explained

The more people who raise this issue with Quicken, the more likely we are to see Quicken support the protocol. Presently, Open Banking doesn't seem to be on Quicken's radar, but sometimes they work on these things rather covertly… so, who really knows?

I am presently quite concerned with future support for downloading transaction from Canadian banks into Quicken. If Quicken was monitoring this situation and had any sort of Change Management plan in effect, there would be some messaging on the topic. Radio Silence is not very reassuring.

• wvandenberg
    wvandenberg Member ✭✭

I noticed this annoyance too. However, if you go back to the Classic View, you can still download a .qxf file and open/import to Quicken. You can access the Classic View by clicking in the top right corner (on your avatar) and select "Go back to Classic View".

I suspect this functionality will eventually disappear so Scotiabank doesn't have to support both platforms but for now, it is still available.

• Claude Jacques
    Claude Jacques Quicken Canada Subscription Member ✭✭

This morning I noticed that the "new" Scotiabank website now has Quicken as a download option (as noted before that wasn't there and was using the legacy version to download). However, when I tried the download I got a Quicken OL-221-A error. So I went back to the legacy view but when I tried to download the quicken format nothing happened - no file generated at all. So maybe they have changed their plans for now but their implementation is less than stellar at this point.

• Organone
    Organone Quicken Canada Subscription Member ✭✭

Thanks for the Claude. I had given up since Scotia told me (as in the communication above) that Quicken would not be on the new page. Maybe enough people wrote Scotia and changed their mind.

I'm still using One-Step Update. I look forward to hearing about the drop-down functionality.

• Arctic Hare

That error indicates there is a syntax error in the QFX file.

• JW_YYC
    edited October 4

Thanks for posting. This is consistent with a message that I got from Scotia's support last week, saying they had not heard that .qfx file downloads wouldn't be supported, and that they were expecting it to be added to the new site before the old site was to be decommissioned. They did say that one-step update would not be supported because it conflicts with dual factor authentication which I think they are going to make mandatory (and which made some sense to me).

I'll give the new site downloads a try and will report back.

That said, completely separate of .qfx download issues — is anyone else finding that there are a lot of errors popping up on Scotia's site? For me it's both on the new and old site, although also seems to be related to switching from one to the other after which I get an error 404 when I try to log on. If you are having such issues, clearing your cache seems to help.

• JW_YYC

I tried the .qfx download on the new site, and I did not get the same error message as Claude Jacques got. It generally worked, however the current balance it downloaded was the balance at the BEGINNING of the period, not the end. This made it impossible for me to do a reconcile. I sent Scotia a message, but this is at least encouraging progress on this issue.

• JosefW
    JosefW Quicken Canada Subscription Member ✭✭

@Claude Jacques @Arctic Hare

It seems the Quicken download option on the new Scotia web platform is available,

but when I tried to download my credit card transactions, I got the same error message as Claude,

It did download the QFX file to my downloads folder, but again same error message when I tried to open it from there with Quicken Windows. I then switched back to the old Classic View web platform and tried the download to Quicken again using the old Web Connect method directly from Scotia and it worked without a problem.

Some US users are getting the same error message and download problem, so at least it's not just a Canadian banks problem -

The statement from Scotia's Shelly M/Customer Care Advisor on Sept. 3 that "No, unfortunately Quicken is not available on the new online platform." was not accurate or helpful in the least. I certainly hope that they keep this option on the new platform (as horrendous as the new platform design is), and that the file error issue gets solved.

Thanks everyone for your input on this crucial issue.