How to copy a --Paycheck-- Reminder or transaction to another file.

DoctorBrown
DoctorBrown Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭

I am trying to copy —Paycheck— transactions from a backup file to my active file. I find that I can copy them one at a time and all the paycheck format is maintained. But I am unable to copy or export multiple Paycheck transactions and import them into another file. I tried to copy the Paycheck transactions into a new Account and export the transactions as a QIF. And when I import that into my active file the Paycheck transaction just becomes a normal —Split— transaction.

Is there anyway to make this work? I have successfully used QIF to transfer many normal and Split transactions between files, but not Paychecks.

Also is it possible to copy single or multiple Reminders from one file to another?

I am running Q Classic Premier on Subscription, on Windows 10.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18

The "Paycheck" transaction is really just a split transaction with a fancy front end. And QIF doesn't know about "fancy".

But the 1st question would be, why are those transactions no longer in your active file?

In the active file, can you create one paycheck using the wizard … and then copy that transaction?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• DoctorBrown
    edited September 18

Yup, but it's the only viable option I can see. I tried to use the QFX format but that created an even bigger mess of my active file. (I'm super glad I made a backup first. 😬)

Because someone (😊) decided to do a Year-end Archive. Only years later did it become clear that it was preferred to have one complete file and now I'm trying to reconstruct my active file by copying the past transactions that were mucked up by the YEA from a backup to the active file.

As you can imagine that is a nightmare. There are so many traps you have to navigate. I'm in the home stretch and these are the last of the transactions to rebuild.

Do you have suggestions on how to do this? I have 5 years of paychecks to move. I can copy/paste the transaction one-by-one. Is there a way to create a paycheck template from the pasted transactions? Also, each paycheck is slightly different due to withholding amounts , etc.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Since you're talking about 5 year-old txn, why does it matter if the Category field reads "Paycheck" or "Split"? You can tell from the Payer field what it is.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• DoctorBrown

Other friends have asked the same thing. Because I'm a bit (ha) obsessive about details. 🤪

This discussion has been closed.