Reinstalling 2016 R7 now wants to create a Quicken ID

RAWelsh
RAWelsh Quicken Windows 2016 Member

Reinstalling 2016 R7 build: 25.1.7.1 on my new second computer. It is now wants to create a Quicken ID. I have reinstalled it several times in the past - computer up grades, disk failures, etc. - on both computers without problems. I note that your allowed to install on 3 computers. How does it know you've replaced a machine?

Best Answers

• RAWelsh
    Answer ✓

Bingo - Thanks a lot.

Since I had the disk from my old Computer 2, just copied the [Registration] info into C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Config\Quicken.ini

Also checked Computer 1. Thanks again. -Rob (I'd still be running Q2001 if I could read the CD.)

• splasher
    splasher Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

(I'd still be running Q2001 if I could read the CD.)

Too late now since going backwards involves a LOT of work, but all you needed to do was either find a friend with a CD/DVD in their computer or the library and copy the CD to a thumbdrive and install it from there. You could probably pull it off at BestBuy or Staples on one of their display computers.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• splasher

The issue is that the registration server no longer exists and the 3 computer rule was an honesty thing, there was never a hard limit.

See this for info on how to MAYBE fix your issue: https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/blanklogin2014-2017.html

• RAWelsh
    Answer ✓

Bingo - Thanks a lot.

Since I had the disk from my old Computer 2, just copied the [Registration] info into C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Config\Quicken.ini

Also checked Computer 1. Thanks again. -Rob (I'd still be running Q2001 if I could read the CD.)

• splasher
    Answer ✓

(I'd still be running Q2001 if I could read the CD.)

Too late now since going backwards involves a LOT of work, but all you needed to do was either find a friend with a CD/DVD in their computer or the library and copy the CD to a thumbdrive and install it from there. You could probably pull it off at BestBuy or Staples on one of their display computers.

• RAWelsh

None of my 3 CD/DVD drives can read anymore. It was a LOT of work going from 2001 to 2016.