After the most recent version update, I decided to validate my data file. I am now at R69.33, Build 27.1.69.53. There were no problems I was aware of; I thought it would just be a good idea. Big mistake.
After the validation, I synced with the cloud. I do this regularly and had done it just before the version update was applied.
This time, the result is the account balance depicted in the left-hand accounts pane doesn't match the true account balance, which appears in the register. There's one bank account - my primary bank account - where these balances don't match.
Okay, for some reason, the cloud file modified the desktop's data file. I then restored the data file from before the update and the file validation and reset my cloud file. The balances are now all correct.
I then choose to reset my cloud data. I do this in the menu Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web > Reset your cloud data link.
When the so-called "reset" was complete, the balances depicted in the register and on the left-hand pane's accounts list don't match.
It appears to me that a reset does not actually delete the prior cloud file, and replace it with a new one, using the current desktop data. Instead, somehow the cloud's data is allowed to change the desktop's data.
If I want to replace cloud data with correct desktop data, how do I do that in such a way that doesn't change my desktop's data?