Can I set up Quicken to automatically update stock prices at the end of the last business day of the

Options
wjh611
wjh611 Member ✭✭
edited June 2018 in Investing (Mac)

Can I set up Quicken to automatically update stock prices at the end of the last business day of the month?  I only reconcile my monthly brokerage statements to Quicken at the end of the month.  I'm using Quicken 2007 for Mac and MacBook Air with El Capitan.  

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018
    Options

I don't believe there is any way to do that automatically. (If I'm wrong, another Quicken 2007 user will hopefully jump in here and educate us both!)

I'm still a Quicken 2007 user, but I enter my data manually. I don't know how many securities you have, but I find it fairly quick to enter month-end prices manually. When I receive my brokerage statements, I go to the Portfolio view, click the little calendar to go to the last day of the prior month, and enter the closing price of each of my holdings. If you have up to a few dozen, it's pretty quick.

You should also be aware that Quicken 2007 is on its last legs. With spit and glue, the Quicken team has kept Quicken 2007 operating through various Mac OS updates, Internet protocol updates, and financial institution security updates -- but the writing on the wall is quite large that The End Is Near. The Mac development team at Quicken knows that there are some key features in Quicken 2007 which have not yet been implemented in Quicken 2016 -- including viewing portfolios by date to do exactly what we were discussing above -- and they are working to add more of those features over the course of 2016 in order to allow us Quicken 2007 holdouts to finally upgrade. I think sometime in 2016, but no later than the late fall release of Quicken 2017 (if they keep to the regular annual release schedule next year), the Quicken team will end support for all Quicken 2007 downloads.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • wjh611
    wjh611 Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    jacobs said:

I don't believe there is any way to do that automatically. (If I'm wrong, another Quicken 2007 user will hopefully jump in here and educate us both!)

I'm still a Quicken 2007 user, but I enter my data manually. I don't know how many securities you have, but I find it fairly quick to enter month-end prices manually. When I receive my brokerage statements, I go to the Portfolio view, click the little calendar to go to the last day of the prior month, and enter the closing price of each of my holdings. If you have up to a few dozen, it's pretty quick.

You should also be aware that Quicken 2007 is on its last legs. With spit and glue, the Quicken team has kept Quicken 2007 operating through various Mac OS updates, Internet protocol updates, and financial institution security updates -- but the writing on the wall is quite large that The End Is Near. The Mac development team at Quicken knows that there are some key features in Quicken 2007 which have not yet been implemented in Quicken 2016 -- including viewing portfolios by date to do exactly what we were discussing above -- and they are working to add more of those features over the course of 2016 in order to allow us Quicken 2007 holdouts to finally upgrade. I think sometime in 2016, but no later than the late fall release of Quicken 2017 (if they keep to the regular annual release schedule next year), the Quicken team will end support for all Quicken 2007 downloads.

Thanks.  I used to do what you do, then I found that using Online > Update Security Prices, in combination with downloading to Quicken from my broker's website, often eliminated the need to key all the prices.  Quicken would often sync correctly with the brokerage statements when I did this.  If not, I have to go search out the few stock prices that did not download.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    jacobs said:

jacobs doing what you say is extremely laborious if you are in my situation of setting up quicken for a stock portfolio that has already been active for over year. Need to make sure the transactions reconcile with the broker statements on a monthly basis and this is a nightmare having to manually enter 12 month of historical month end prices. Can't believe the month end price is not automatically pulled in when you update historical prices!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options
    jacobs said:

Livia, since the original post here and my reply was from 9 months ago, I just want to make sure we're talking about the same things, and that there isn't a way to do what you want to.  You're using Quicken 2007, or 2016? Are you manually entering your stock transactions or downloading them from you financial institution(s)?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    jacobs said:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    jacobs said:

I am using Quicken 2016 for home and Business. I am downloadinga backlog of a Year's worth of transactions from TD Ameritrade and I want to reconcile them month by month to the TD Ameritrade statements which states the month end portfolio value in terms of the month end price of the equities as you would expect. However when I update the historical prices using QuickBooks, for prices over 1 month old it updates the history with weekly values versus giving me the price on the last business day of the month. ( I think for historical prices over 12 months old it does put the month in price in.) I can't see a way to tell Quicken to give me the month end price when I update historical stock prices. It seems obvious that people would want that.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    jacobs said:

PS thanks Jacobs for your response!
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    jacobs said:

@Livia Squires:  This original discussion was about the Quicken for Mac program.  Quicken for Windows is a different animal.  You cannot assume an answer for one applies to the other.  So you needed either to find a different question - QWin based - to add onto, or to start your own question.

That said, since we are here, your assessment is correct - End-of-week data the 1 month to 1 year period comes with the historical price downloads.  No real way around that.  You can import prices through a csv file if you have other ready access to the month end prices for the specific securities you need.  But I suspect in the longer run, entering them manually may be quicker than jumping through a variety of hoops to create the csv file.  

If you have followup questions, please start your own new question so that we can quit hijacking this QMac discussion.  
This discussion has been closed.