market value of brokerage accounts is wrong

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
Market Value of Brokerage Accounts is wrong.  It is much higher than it should be. I have no idea why. The subtotals for stocks, mutual funds and cash seem right, but then the total market value is much higher than the total of those sub-totals.

Comments

• cneal
    cneal Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Could you have a hidden account that is carrying an incorrect value?
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    If the problem persists, can you post more info? 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    I've seen the same problem in my Quicken File Quicken 2016 for Windows.
    Here is an example.image
    Basically, the info in the pie chart presentation does not match the info in the report presentation.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    I figured out what's causing it (but not how to fix it). If I go to Portfolio Value and click on "Group by Type", I see a list of stocks, mutual funds and cash balance, and the total of these 3 subtotals is correct, but a lot less than the total market value of the account.  But if I click on "Group by Security" it will uncover some things that were invisible in the "Group by Type" view.  Some investments will be listed twice. One listing will have the investment symbol, but no cost basis. The other will have no investment symbol, but will have the cost basis. The total market value will include the value of these invisible copies and thus overstate the total value. I tried to merge the 2 copies but it won't let me, saying they weren't the same investment type. I tried to change the investment type, but it wouldn't let me do that either.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Cory said:

I figured out what's causing it (but not how to fix it). If I go to Portfolio Value and click on "Group by Type", I see a list of stocks, mutual funds and cash balance, and the total of these 3 subtotals is correct, but a lot less than the total market value of the account.  But if I click on "Group by Security" it will uncover some things that were invisible in the "Group by Type" view.  Some investments will be listed twice. One listing will have the investment symbol, but no cost basis. The other will have no investment symbol, but will have the cost basis. The total market value will include the value of these invisible copies and thus overstate the total value. I tried to merge the 2 copies but it won't let me, saying they weren't the same investment type. I tried to change the investment type, but it wouldn't let me do that either.

Cory, are you using QMac or QWin?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• CharlesForsmo
    CharlesForsmo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Cory said:

I have the same problem and I'm using QWin.
  • CharlesForsmo
    CharlesForsmo Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    QWin 3.5.5 Same problem. Today's balance correct but Market Value about double... Where's the fix for this?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

QWin 3.5.5 Same problem. Today's balance correct but Market Value about double... Where's the fix for this?

QWin 3.5.5 would be a version released 23+ years ago. The current version of QWin is 26.1.4.5 ... where the 26 refers to the 26th year of Quicken (in the current numbering scheme).

Do you mean QMac 3.5.5?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    I am using Q2017Mac V 4.4.3.  I have the same problem as was originally posted.

On the Portfolio Page of the Brokerage Account,  The totals of the Market values Columns do not add up to the Market Value at the top of the page.  There are no hidden accounts.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    I also have this issue.  Been like this across MULTIPLE updates
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    How does the "Market Value" in QM2017 compare to your actual brokerage account value? Are all your holdings for the account listed and properly valued? In other words, if the Market Value does not add up to the market values shown in the "Holdings By Type" list, is one or the other correct, or are both wrong?

2 things to look for: 
    1). Is there a "Cash Balance" at the bottom of the screen that is incorrect? 
    2). Is there a mutual fund that is showing an incorrect value (for example, the one used as the cash account)? 

Both of these are true for my Vanguard accounts, resulting in the Market Value being way off from the true account value and mostly useless for me. Has been like this across multiple updates for me as well.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Mine includes a "Cash Balance", that is the difference between Value and the Market value.
    The Market Value is listed in the upper right corner and is the amount listed when you look at the main page in Quicken along with all the other accounts.  Cash Balance is listed as a negative amount.  If "Value" was listed, under Holdings by Type, all would be well.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    I'm having the same problem.  I have cash balances in two different brokerage accounts (QMac) the difference between reported and actual account value is the cash balance.  So somehow the cash balance is being counted twice in the account.  Any idea how to get this to be accurate?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Does quicken ever actually solve any of these issues?
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Does quicken ever actually solve any of these issues?

Good question. You will find frustration with the pace of development in many discussion threads. AFAIK quicken has not even acknowledged this as a known problem. For months I have been hoping this and other bugs will be addressed in the next update, however, I'm no longer convinced there will be any bug fixes or improvements before they charge for QM2018. Perhaps others know better.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    So here is how I fixed my 401k account to rid it of erroneous negative "Available Cash." BTW this worked on two separate accounts, a Schwab and Empower retirement accounts.  hope this helps someone else
    1. First I deleted the account (make a back up of course).  
    2. Then I went to the account website and manually downloaded a quicken file to include transactions as far back as I could go.  
    3. Drag and drop in the Quicken, no trouble, manually set up account
    4. Then once account is open, click settings in the bottom right corner and set account up to download via direct connect
    5. A warning that downloaded data will overwrite current data, I figured at this point I would get back my "Available Cash" amount, but alas, it all worked fine! 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    I am using Quicken Deluxe 2013.
    I have one account that when I look at the Account Overview the Security Value and Total Market Value at the bottom is way off.  The amount shown is the same as the amount shown in the Account Bar.  However, not the same as in the total at the bottom of the list of securities in the account, which is correct.
    There is no cash in this account.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    QMac2017.  On a brokerage account, on the transactions page, the upper right shows cash balance.  The "today's balance" is significantly higher than "online balance".  "Market value" uses incorrect "today's balance" thus showing a significantly higher amount than actual value.  Where does Quicken get the incorrect number and why when it has obviously downloaded the correct number?  Is there a way to adjust this? 
This discussion has been closed.