Accounts change from non cash balance to cash balance Accounts

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I have Premier 2015 for WIn but this happened in past versions.

I create an investment account with one mutual fund without a cash balance. It changes on its own to a cash balance account. Why is this happening and what do I do to ensure it stops? Please don't tell me to edit the account in the Account List and change the switch on the General tab. The switch disappears when the account changes.

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Is anything changing with respect to the tax-status of the account - like from brokerage taxable to IRA or other tax deferred?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    After rebuilding the account several times, I noticed it changed when I changed the name of the account. That is the only thing I change after recreating the account. I was creating the new account with a temp name. After entering all the transactions, I would delete the old one and rename the new one to desired. So, I then renamed the old one and started the new one with the desired name. As of now it has stayed a single fund account.

I just made a backup and then changed the name. As soon as I made the change, the account changed to a cash balance account.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

After rebuilding the account several times, I noticed it changed when I changed the name of the account. That is the only thing I change after recreating the account. I was creating the new account with a temp name. After entering all the transactions, I would delete the old one and rename the new one to desired. So, I then renamed the old one and started the new one with the desired name. As of now it has stayed a single fund account.

I just made a backup and then changed the name. As soon as I made the change, the account changed to a cash balance account.

Perhaps your Fund company doesn't allow SMF type accounts.  What fund company?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

There may or may not be a fund company. While this problem has happened before with accounts associated with real funds, some of these accounts aren't actual mutual funds, they are created so I can keep track of various things (this particular is tracking airline miles).

While I can't say a name change caused the problem all the times in the past, I can say right now it happens when I change the name of the account.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

ONLY a mutual fund can be recorded, in Q, in a Single Mutual Fund account (which you referred to 1 hour ago as a 'single fund account').
    SO, either there's a fund company involved, or you're making up facts as you go along.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

Let's see: Select 'Add an Account', then select 'Brokerage'. In the next window, select "Advanced Setup', followed by 'enter my transactions manually'. In the next window, give the new account a name and press 'Next', then Next'. I can then make up a security or leave it blank, then press 'Next'. If left blank, press 'Yes' to create the account without selecting an security. Then press 'Done'. NEXT, I'm asked if this is a kind of account that contains exactly one mutual fund, doesn't have a cash balance, and if I purchase another fund I have to create another account. Select 'Yes' here and 'Next', then 'Finish'. I now have an account that DOES NOT have a fund company involved. It can be used to track any made up security I want. If I left the security blank earlier, I can add transactions with any security I make up, but I can only use one per account. I want the account to be a mutual fund type as there is no money involved, just the thing I am tracking (like a mutual fund share). The register also doesn't have a cash balance column (until it changes).
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

After continuing to work on my problem, I think, by "fund company" you may have meant "security". If so, I apologize, since Security is what Quicken uses I didn't know that is what you meant. Fund Company sounds like Fidelity or Franklin Templeton to me.

As I said, I was continuing to solve my problem and it was about the security. The made up security I created was type "Other". After changing it to "Mutual Fund" the problem went away.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

So if the security in the account has the type = Other, changing the account name creates a problem.  If the security in the account has the type = Mutual Fund, then changing the account name is not a problem.  Is that correct?  That strikes me as very odd.  

By any chance is there an aspect where the account name you are using on the rename has been used before?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

I don't know if the problem only exists for a name change or if it would happen with any change to the account properties. It just happened for me here when I changed the name. As for the rename, I changed it to the original name after deleting the original account. So the name had been used before but not at the same time. Renaming the original account and giving the new file the original name meant I didn't have to rename it, and I had no problem.
This discussion has been closed.