Bond Interest income transactions are not being recorded in investment account registers

M C Crockett
M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Mac)
Both QM2017 4.4.0, 4.4.1, and 4.4.2 fail to create Interest Income transactions in an investment account register when an <INCOME> transaction with <INCOMETYPE>INTEREST.

I first noticed this on 22 December 2016 when I received a $180.00 interest payment on a Federal National Mortgage Association note.  The Interest Income transaction was not created in the investment account register.  I thought it was a transient error as I did find the transaction in the OFXLog.txt file.

Today, 13 January 2017, a received a $213.75 interest payment on a Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation note.  The Interest Income transaction was not created in the investment account register.  The transaction was not included in the number of transactions reported as being downloaded in the Account Status window although the transaction was present in the OFXLog.txt file.  The following is a somewhat formatted version of the data in OFXLog.txt to remove account numbers and show the transaction more clearly.

<INCOME>
   <INVTRAN>
      <FITID>*******00000071170113000345562
      <DTTRADE>20170113120000.000[-5:EST]<DTSETTLE>20170113120000.000[-5:EST]
      <MEMO>Interest on 18000 face value bonds at 2.375% 01/13/22 FEDERAL HOME LOAN
                     MORTGAGE COR NOTE
   </INVTRAN>
   <SECID><UNIQUEID>3137EADB2<UNIQUEIDTYPE>CUSIP</SECID>
   <INCOMETYPE>INTEREST
   <TOTAL>213.75
   <SUBACCTSEC>OTHER
   <SUBACCTFUND>OTHER
 </INCOME>

Interest Income transactions were recorded correctly prior to the release of QM2017 4.4.0.  In addition, the Interest Income transactions are recorded and reported correctly in the current Quicken Premier 2017 release. which I also use.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    I, too, notice that interest income transactions are not being recorded when I download from my financial institution.  For each of five accounts, all of which have a 12/30/2016 interest payment (pennies) on the money market account for the respective account, I had to enter those transactions manually.  The cash accounts then reconciled.  Previously, these downloaded transaction would record.  I use Q for Mac 4.4.2.
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

I, too, notice that interest income transactions are not being recorded when I download from my financial institution.  For each of five accounts, all of which have a 12/30/2016 interest payment (pennies) on the money market account for the respective account, I had to enter those transactions manually.  The cash accounts then reconciled.  Previously, these downloaded transaction would record.  I use Q for Mac 4.4.2.

I have no problems with interest earned on the cash balance in each of my five investment accounts.  The cash is "swept" into a bank account when it is received and "swept" out of the bank account when securities are purchased or money is withdrawn.

The interest payments on the cash balances are reported in an <INVBANKTRAN>...</INVBANKTRAN> container in the downloaded OFX file.  In the investment account's register, they are recorded as "Payment/Deposit" TYPE transactions and assigned to the "Interest Income" CATEGORY.

I've only found a problem with <INCOME>...</INCOME> transactions where the <INCOMETYPE> is set to INTEREST.  QM2017 doesn't have a problem when <INCOMETYPE> is set to DIV.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Have had similar experience as MC above ; no issues with interest income, dividend income in any of my investment accounts. 
  • Richard Bowdel
    Richard Bowdel Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I have same problem downloading CD/Bond interest from TD Ameritrade. Works fine from Fidelity. Also, these transactions do not transfer when starting a new QM2017 file import from QW H&B 2016 QDF.
  • cneal
    cneal Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Just had a failure for dowloaded bond interest to be entered in the register. The data did come in from TD Ameritrade but was not placed in the register and the account balance was not increased.

OFXLog.txt extract ...

<INCOME>
    <INVTRAN>
    <FITID>*****011958</FITID>
    <DTTRADE>20170117000001</DTTRADE>
    <MEMO>INTEREST INCOME - SECURITIES</MEMO>
    </INVTRAN>
    <SECID>
    <UNIQUEID>695257AB1</UNIQUEID>
    <UNIQUEIDTYPE>CUSIP</UNIQUEIDTYPE>
    </SECID>
    <INCOMETYPE>INTEREST</INCOMETYPE>
    <TOTAL>320</TOTAL>
    <SUBACCTSEC>CASH</SUBACCTSEC>
    <SUBACCTFUND>CASH</SUBACCTFUND>
    </INCOME>

ADDED: I called Quicken and opened a problem ticket, 00470459. Submitted my entire OFXLong.txt file for examination. This should be going to the developers for priority and resolution.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Guys, thanks for reporting this issue and tracking it down.  This is definitely a bug.  It was introduced when we started merging buys and dividends into reinvested dividends in 4.0.  We have a fix.  We started a slow rollout today and will update everyone most like early next week.  Sorry, we missed this bug before we shipped and thanks for reporting it.  To fix the problem in your account, you will have to manually add back the interest dividends but once you take the update these transactions will start appearing.
  • cneal
    cneal Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017

Guys, thanks for reporting this issue and tracking it down.  This is definitely a bug.  It was introduced when we started merging buys and dividends into reinvested dividends in 4.0.  We have a fix.  We started a slow rollout today and will update everyone most like early next week.  Sorry, we missed this bug before we shipped and thanks for reporting it.  To fix the problem in your account, you will have to manually add back the interest dividends but once you take the update these transactions will start appearing.

It is a small subset of users that actually buy bonds and not bond mutual funds. And each one just pays twice a year. 

Thanks for the quick action and I look forward to getting the update.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Marcus glad to see you have a fix, while I have not had any issues with bond income being updated in the transaction registers I am hopeful the fix will not have an adverse impact on my situations.
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

@Quicken Marcus:  Thanks for addressing this problem quickly.

I would like to request that there be a configuration option to disable the merger of a dividend/interest transaction and buy transaction into a reinvest transaction.  Its a PITA to have to go back and split the reinvest transaction into its component parts.

It would be extremely beneficial to be able to specify that dividend/income transactions for a given security should not be merged into a reinvest transaction or to specify an investment account in which there should be no reinvest transactions created.
This discussion has been closed.