How do you record a company name change in an invesment transaction? Quicken 2014 Premier

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)

A security changed its name.  I download  my transactions but did not accept the two transactions into the register. When I tried to enter a new transaction using the corporate name change, the security list already showed it. (I guess this happened with the automatic downloads from RJ).  Can I delete the security from the security list so that the "corporate name change" transaction will work?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Which Q product, product year and release are you running.  Because in some Q products, there's already a canned transaction to do this.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Can I delete the security from the security list so that the "corporate name change" transaction will work?
    As long as the new name has no transactions associated with it, you can delete the security in Quicken with that new name it and then use the Corporate Name Change function.  Be aware that the Name Change function is retroactive.  All prior existing transactions with "old name security" will now show as "new name security".  

If there are some transactions under the new name (perhaps a recently received dividend), then you would have to edit each of those transactions to reflect "Old Name security" and after those edits, proceed with the delete and rename.  

If the retroactive name change is a real problem, then there is an alternative approach, but from a practical sense, there should be no such real problem.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Thank you, SuperUser, Qlurker. There are previous transactions in previous months with "old name security".  There are no new transactions that have been downloaded and accepted that are associated with the "new name security".  So, what I hear you saying is with no new transactions for the "new name security", I can delete the "new name security" in the securities list.  I will perform the "corporate name change" and the previous lot in "old name security" will  remain the same but under the new name.  I apologize for taking your time to repeat your answer, but I prefer to fully understand before creating a mess.  Thanks again!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

Which Q product, product year and release are you running.  Because in some Q products, there's already a canned transaction to do this.

I am using Quicken Premier 2014.  Yes the option is available, however when I tried to enter the transaction, I received the message that the security already existed even though I had not accepted the two transactions: 1. Removed old security 2. Added New Security.  I did not want to then do something that would be very difficult to correct.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

Thank you, SuperUser, Qlurker. There are previous transactions in previous months with "old name security".  There are no new transactions that have been downloaded and accepted that are associated with the "new name security".  So, what I hear you saying is with no new transactions for the "new name security", I can delete the "new name security" in the securities list.  I will perform the "corporate name change" and the previous lot in "old name security" will  remain the same but under the new name.  I apologize for taking your time to repeat your answer, but I prefer to fully understand before creating a mess.  Thanks again!

You got it. 

Also, before "creating a mess", create a good backup.  They are great for cleaning up messes.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018

I deleted Sonoma from the security list safely.  Now, the Matching Security box has popped up . Sonoma Pharmaceutical Inc (SNOA  "Is this the same as one of the securities that you are already tracking in Quicken?".  Now, it seems tricky.

First option given: Yes.  This matches the security selected below.  Sonoma Pharmaceuticals Inc (OCLS)  which is the old ticker.

Second option given: No.  Add this new security to Quicken.

So, Both have the new name, but with different tickers.  What do I choose to make sure that I retain the lots of Oculous?

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

I deleted Sonoma from the security list safely.  Now, the Matching Security box has popped up . Sonoma Pharmaceutical Inc (SNOA  "Is this the same as one of the securities that you are already tracking in Quicken?".  Now, it seems tricky.

First option given: Yes.  This matches the security selected below.  Sonoma Pharmaceuticals Inc (OCLS)  which is the old ticker.

Second option given: No.  Add this new security to Quicken.

So, Both have the new name, but with different tickers.  What do I choose to make sure that I retain the lots of Oculous?

You had not mentioned the ticker change.  

I would take option 1, then go to Edit the security details and check the ticker.  That Yes option might have changed the ticker to SNOA.  If not, then you can change the ticker to SNOA.  In making that change of ticker, you will be offered two options -- I would take both a) Copy old prices (from OCLS) to the new ticker (SNOA) and b) delete the old prices.  (If you are queasy about deleting them, you can skip that second option.) 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Like you advised, I took option 1, then went to the Edit security details.  I changed the ticker to SNOA and then, I opted to choose copy old prices to the new ticker and it worked well.  Although everything is straight with SNOA showing the historical transactions for OCLS, a reminder transaction remains and when I look back before the name change, the security now shows SNOA.  I guess that is OK?  Or, can I change the Reminder to a "Corporate Name Change" as the type of transaction?  I am beating this to death, but I want you to know you have been an enormous help.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

Like you advised, I took option 1, then went to the Edit security details.  I changed the ticker to SNOA and then, I opted to choose copy old prices to the new ticker and it worked well.  Although everything is straight with SNOA showing the historical transactions for OCLS, a reminder transaction remains and when I look back before the name change, the security now shows SNOA.  I guess that is OK?  Or, can I change the Reminder to a "Corporate Name Change" as the type of transaction?  I am beating this to death, but I want you to know you have been an enormous help.

There is no explicit Corp Name Change "transaction" for you to enter or change to.   The Reminder serves that purpose.   If the memo field is not adequate as generated, you can edit the info as you please.  In actuality, you could have edited the security name, changed the ticker, and entered the reminder transaction yourself.  The enter transactions / Name change function simply consolidated two of those steps.  The ticker change is less common when corp name changes occur.   
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Thanks again!  BIG help.
This discussion has been closed.