how do I track Fidelity commingled pools when price is different than NAV

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
My 401K has moved from the Fidelity Contrafund to the Fidelity Contrafund Commingled pool.  The NAV for the Contrafund is different by an order of magnatude to the price on the commingled pool.  (Contra Mutual fund NAV = 101.53, Commingled Price = 12.46).  How can I track the price changes of the Commingled Pool?

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    One clarification - the Contrafund Commingled Pool does not have a published NAV.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You will need to enter the price for the fund manually.

Are you using QWin or QMac?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Qwin
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    In QWin, you can enter manual quotes in the Quotes view of the Portfolio on the Investing tab or you can right click the security in the Portfolio and select Edit Price History.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Do you want to track price of the units change (i.e., price change)?  OR, do you want to track "value of the account change"?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I'd like to track the value of the investment.  

I have a 401K account currently setup holding multiple mutual funds (MF).  With the change from a MF to the commingled pool it is technically no longer a mutual fund and does not have a published NAV that will auto update with the price update function.  My 401K provider processed a transaction that looks like a stock split giving me a number of shares = to the value of the mutual fund value.  But now the NAV of the MF is artificially inflating the investment value of the commingled pool.

Somehow I need to be able to add and start tracking a commingled pool price without losing all of my cost history.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    debbie said:

I have a 401K account currently setup holding multiple mutual funds (MF).  With the change from a MF to the commingled pool it is technically no longer a mutual fund and does not have a published NAV that will auto update with the price update function.  My 401K provider processed a transaction that looks like a stock split giving me a number of shares = to the value of the mutual fund value.  But now the NAV of the MF is artificially inflating the investment value of the commingled pool.

Somehow I need to be able to add and start tracking a commingled pool price without losing all of my cost history.

In Quicken Help, search on 401.  It'll bring up an option to use the 401k Wizard ... which will track the  value of the account without worrying about number of shares/units of the price of each ... you'll just track the dollars.

Be sure to take a backup before you experiment with the 401k Wizard ... just in case.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    debbie said:

When they switched from the MF to the comingled fund, you would have three (or more) possibilities in QWin:
    1)  Create a new security (as a mutual fund for simplicity) for the comingled fund and follow that with a Corporate Acquisition.  The acquisition will remove shares of to original fund from your Quicken account and Add Shares of the new security based on each lot of the original.  You will need to determine the share ratio as best you can for the acquisition.  After such an action, if you had a lot with 10 shares of the old and a basis of $1,010 acquired 7/1/15, you will now have a lot of (say) 81.23 shares of new fund and a basis of $1,010 acquired 7/1/15.  

2)  You could do a "stock split" transaction, and then change the name and ticker for the mutual fund.  But that would also change the historical data to say that you bought the 'New name' throughout the time periods that you were actually buying the old name fund.  (Personally, I would not do this.)

3)  Solely because this is a tax-deferred account and cost basis and acquisition dates are not meaningful, you could have sold all the original fund and bought the greater quantity of the comingled fund shares.  

Going forward from any of those processes, you will need to manually enter the prices (NAV equivalents) for the new security based on info from the 401k.

None of these approaches lose your prior transaction history.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    debbie said:

thank you - I'll need to think through this, but I'm leaning toward option 3 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    debbie said:

I have a 401(k) with Fidelity and am also in a commingled pool. What I have found is Quicken will update the value of the security on a one-day lag when you do a One Step Update, even if you have no transaction activity. For example - on Thursday night, you do a price update - all prices except for the commingled pool will be brought in. On Friday morning, you do a price update; Thursday's closing price for the commingled pool will be downloaded (with Thursday's date).

It works for me since I can't trade intra-day in my 401k anyway.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    debbie said:

are you updating directly from Fidelity?  What stock symbol do you use?

I am updating from AoN which manages my 401 but leverages Fidelity funds
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    debbie said:

Just for the record, there are two basic sources of prices which Quicken will use to update prices:
    1)  Through its own servers and services (Download Quotes) which can be part of a One Step Update, and 
    2)  Through your brokerage and information its when you download transactions relevant to your specific account.  

(1) requires there to be a valid ticker symbol associated with the security in Quicken.  (2)  requires that the real world fund data your broker is sending is matched to a Quicken security, but no ticker symbol is required.  The ticker may be there, but it is not part of the process.  

As (1) does not appear to be an option for this comingled pool, the data can only come from the brokerage (or your manual entry).
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    debbie said:

Yes, I am using Fidelity NetBenefits. Since you are using AoN, your experience may not be the same (not sure if AoN will push the NAV to you in Quicken).
This discussion has been closed.