Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.4.3 Released

Quicken Marcus
Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
Beta and forum users spotted a bug in 4.4.x that caused bond interest income transactions from NOT being added to the account register.  This was inadvertently caused when we started combining dividend and buy transactions into a single reinvestment transaction.  This warranted another release to fix this issue.

Since we were releasing again anyway, we also decided to include a fix for online bill payments.  In some cases, modifying an online payee name that included an "&" or some other non-standard character, would block a bill pay transaction from completing. Unfortunately, this would also fail silently potentially causing a bill to not get paid.

We released 4.4.3 today for retail customers and we submitted it to the Mac App Store for Apple approval.  I'll update this forum post when Apple approves of the release.

Please upgrade immediately.  4.4.2 included a change that is required to continue getting transaction downloads after a service change is made in a few weeks. If you don't have 4.4.2 or higher, Quicken could lock up and stop working if a specific error is received during transaction downloads.

Please use this forum post if you run into any issues with 4.4.3 especially around bonds and online bill pay.  We'll be monitoring this post. 

If you'd like to see the official release notes, click here.

1/25/2017 - UPDATE: We shipped the 4.4.3 for Mac App Store today.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    Thanks!
  • Paul Walker
    Paul Walker Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Thanks for the update and communication.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Thank you! I was on the phone with one of your support agents for almost 2 hours earlier today regarding an issue I was having with bonds. Perhaps this update will solve at least part of the problem. I'll post back with an update if it helps.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    There is also a problem with how Quicken deals with municipal bonds when they mature.  I have witnessed this problem in my Quicken account as well as in my partner's.  The number of bonds is scaled by a factor of 100 so the value of the account skyrockets when the bond proceeds are added to the core account in a brokerage account.  Took me a while to figure out this was the problem.
  • Robert B
    Robert B Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    All improvements are appreciated, but, this new version is 2 fixes in a month or more.  Do you have more than one programmer, working part time?  Just say'in.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2017
    Robert B said:

All improvements are appreciated, but, this new version is 2 fixes in a month or more.  Do you have more than one programmer, working part time?  Just say'in.

Robert, bug fixes are different than improvements and new features. There are doubtless programmers who have been working on new features, and we'll see what they've bene working on when Quicken releases version 4.5. Meanwhile, if there are bugs they deem worth fixing sooner, they push out one of these interim bug fixes releases.

Marcus has also noted that they have a lot of work to do on "de-Intuitizing" Quicken -- replacing some of the back-end services provided by former parent Intuit now that they are their own company. Unfortunately for us as end users, such programming work will chew up a lot of time and the result will be the program working just like it used to.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • cneal
    cneal Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    While working with 4.4.3 this morning I noticed a problem that may have been in earlier versions.

In Portfolio view, Realized Gains. The lot basis is 'Add' even if there is only one lot and the total cost basis is displayed. The lot basis is 'Add' with many lots and the total basis is displayed. The individual lot basis is given in the Tax Schedule Report, so the information is in the database. This is a manual entry account. I have captured screen shots and the Tax Schedule report if needed.

No, this doesn't require a quick fix and a release of it's own. It could probably even be grouped with the request for specific lot selection for transfer and sales. Which is needed by me as the brokerage FIFO selection will match the order entry and not the order execution when multiple transaction are made with the same stock. At present an incorreect date may have to be used for a transaction to force the correct lot selection for tax reports.
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    cneal said:

While working with 4.4.3 this morning I noticed a problem that may have been in earlier versions.

In Portfolio view, Realized Gains. The lot basis is 'Add' even if there is only one lot and the total cost basis is displayed. The lot basis is 'Add' with many lots and the total basis is displayed. The individual lot basis is given in the Tax Schedule Report, so the information is in the database. This is a manual entry account. I have captured screen shots and the Tax Schedule report if needed.

No, this doesn't require a quick fix and a release of it's own. It could probably even be grouped with the request for specific lot selection for transfer and sales. Which is needed by me as the brokerage FIFO selection will match the order entry and not the order execution when multiple transaction are made with the same stock. At present an incorreect date may have to be used for a transaction to force the correct lot selection for tax reports.

Displaying "Add" for the cost basis in the "Realized Gain" page has been a problem since the release of QM2015.  What is particularly irritating about this problem is that the cost basis is displayed on the "Portfolio Value" page and that the total cost basis displayed for "Short Term" and "Long Term" holdings is the sum of the cost basis for the individual lots.

It should be noted that the "Total Gain/Loss" reported under "Realized Gain" and in the "Tax Schedule Report" will be wrong when dividends are reinvested and the dividends are a return of capital.

When calculating the per share adjustment to the cost basis Quicken includes the shares that were purchased with the return of capital.  The shares purchased with the return of capital should be excluded from the calculation.  Only the shares held prior to the dividend should be used in the calculation.

Due to the calculation error the "Tax Schedule Report" reports the wrong capital gains and losses.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2017
    cneal said:

Yes +1 MC.. I have noticed this for some time. When it comes to the bonds QM will always show an incorrect number for realized gains since it uses the total cost purchased + premium. Qm has no way of dealing with the  income the bonds throw off..Hence when a bond is called the realized g/l is always wrong I go to the Fi website to get the correct data.

As Richard counseled  yesterday here when discussing Turbotax & QM one is better served importing the investment income reports from the Fi into Turbotax.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited January 2017

Thank you! I was on the phone with one of your support agents for almost 2 hours earlier today regarding an issue I was having with bonds. Perhaps this update will solve at least part of the problem. I'll post back with an update if it helps.

Sorry, you were on the phone for so long.  Yes, please come back and update the community on your findings.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited January 2017
    Robert B said:

Jacobs is right on all points.  We've got a huge 4.5 planned with new features and most of our team are working hard on that release but when we find these bad bugs we try to fix them as soon as possible.  You may ask, why don't we fix all of the bugs that people run into immediately.  The reason is that every time we pull developers off of what they are working on to investigate and fix bugs we delay the release of the feature release.  Also, every release means we have to pull the entire test team off of working on new features and validating and verifying the upcoming release which also slows progress on the big release.  Every time we discover a bug we have to make a judgment call regarding how many people are affected and weigh whether a fix is required right away or not.  

Our next big milestone is to deliver 4.5 to our dedicated beta users, many of who are the people that answer a lot of these forum questions.  The plan is to ship that next week so be assured we're making progress.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited January 2017
    cneal said:

Yes, unfortunately, the Add button in realized gain has been in the product for awhile and it's annoying.  We have already fixed it internally and it will be part of v4.5.  I wasn't aware of the bond issue.  Let me look into that more.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited January 2017

There is also a problem with how Quicken deals with municipal bonds when they mature.  I have witnessed this problem in my Quicken account as well as in my partner's.  The number of bonds is scaled by a factor of 100 so the value of the account skyrockets when the bond proceeds are added to the core account in a brokerage account.  Took me a while to figure out this was the problem.

Is this in the realized gain view?  Is this the same issue concordman is reporting below?
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2017
    Robert B said:

Thanks Marcus! How about giving us a teaser about what's coming in 4.5?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2017

Marcus don't believe this is the same issue although the realized g/l would  demonstrate the same incorrect result, btw the realized G/l is not only shown incorrect in the Portfolio view but also in the Tax schedule under Schedule D.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2017
    Robert B said:

Yes!! my mouth is watering :)
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2017
    Robert B said:

I may get in trouble with the accountants but the main new feature has 5 letters, starts with L and ends with S looking something like:  L_ _ _ S.   Hopefully my spelling is correct :-).
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2017
    Robert B said:

:) Marcus, you and the team are going to make some folks very very happy with this one..
  • RickO
    edited January 2017
    Robert B said:

damn, I need another hint
  • jacobs
    edited January 2017
    Robert B said:

Rick, might be time to buy a vowel. I'd suggest "O" and "A".
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2017
    Robert B said:

one vowel to a customer:)
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Robert B said:

Yeah!  Alright, I'm a nerd, but I'm glad to hear that 4.5 will add more new features.  Marcus, thanks for your efforts.  I hope your accountants will just mind their beans :-)  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    I bought QM2017 earlier and have just downloaded the update (which seems like all the time). Why doesn't the update link directly to previous QM2017(or even QM2016) files?
  • jacobs
    edited January 2017

I bought QM2017 earlier and have just downloaded the update (which seems like all the time). Why doesn't the update link directly to previous QM2017(or even QM2016) files?

Peter, updates within the product year (e.g. version 4.2 to 4.3 to 4.4) don't disrupt you continuing to use the same data file; you get a notice there's an update available, you say yes, it downloads, you click install, and it installs and relaunches with your same data file. But when you purchase a new version (e.g. moving from Quicken 2016 to Quicken 2017), you do need a new data file, created from your previous one. In my opinion, this is a good thing; it allows you to go back to using the older Quicken and your data should you need to for any reason. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    FWIW, a problem & solution after upgrading from QM15 to QM17:

Problem: Before upgrading from QM2015 to QM17 v4.4.2,

I sold
    all shares of a bond mutual fund. After
    upgrading & importing the datafile to QM17, the pre-sale holding showed up in Portfolio view, making
    portfolio value incorrect. Although the transaction was correct in Transactions view, Portfolio view ignored it.

Solution: I changed the date of fund sale transaction to the settlement date, one day after sale. The fix did not immediately work in v4.4.2, the holding still appeared in Portfolio view. After installation of update to Q17 v4.4.3, the date-change fix solved the problem.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    I suddenly cannot open my files with 4.4.3. Quicken says upgrading your quicken data (backing up your data file), then fails. When I tried to restore from a back up I get "The file “data” couldn’t be opened because it isn’t in the correct format."
  • RickO
    edited January 2017
    guys said:

I suddenly cannot open my files with 4.4.3. Quicken says upgrading your quicken data (backing up your data file), then fails. When I tried to restore from a back up I get "The file “data” couldn’t be opened because it isn’t in the correct format."

Is your data file stored somewhere that is being synced to a cloud service such as Dropbox or iCloud Drive? Note that iCloud Drive can sync your Documents folder to the cloud.
  • NewMac2017
    NewMac2017 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    guys said:

My routine direct deposit paychecks do not hold the split categories such are taxes and have to be manually enter each time in receive a direct deposit download. The only work around is to duplicate the one I have manually enter and change the date. It seems to me when QM2017 sees the same employer it would enter the same split category information.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017

Thanks!

I'm still not able to download bank transactions from bank accounts that were previously working. I'm on the latest version on Quicken 2017 for Mac. I've sent several error reports to the Quicken team. I have multiple accounts at this banking institution and those linked to one password/username won't update.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    I have an issue within Account ledgers not being able to access the "Reference" field since updating to v4.4.3. The field does stays blue when I click on it and does not open to allow a reference number to be entered. All "Reference" Field entries before the update still show in the ledger in white but if when the transaction is selected it does not change to an editable field. I tried all the suggestions I find in other blogs, i.e., select and unselect "Reference" in the columns options but nothing changes. Any idea?
This discussion has been closed.