Two diff Quicken accts - at Vanguard (VAIPX) and Fidelity (VIPSX) update both with the VIPSX price

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
In Vanguard account have VAIPX (Vanguard Inflation-Protected Securities Fund Admiral Shares). In a Fidelity account have VIPSX (VANGUARD INFLATION PROTECTED SECS INV). Same focus but different securities, different names and different symbols. If I update the portfolios it places the same price in both. One is at $13 and the other at $25 so the value of the portfolio is off. Tried innumerable times to get it to work but it always puts the same price in both portfolios.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    In your Securities list, do you have one security or two, and are the tickers the same or different? I believe Quicken uses the ticker when updating prices with its own servers and 3 clues when matching downloaded transactions: Name, Ticker, and the "UniqueID" which is usually the CUSIP number. It may only use the first part (30 chars?) of the security name and not be case sensitive when matching - note that your names are the same at the beginning.

In Q 2017, the UniqueID is displayed if you click Edit Security Details from the Security Detail view, then click Other Info. In earlier versions I believe you must Ctrl-click on Other info to see the CUSIP.  

If there are actually two securities in your list, make sure the tickers are correct for each, and when you download transactions, make sure they are for the correct one.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    First it is important to recognize the two download sources for prices:  a) the brokerages (Fidelity and Vanguard) and b) Quicken's servers.  You can determine which which source is feeding bad data by selectively downloading rather than all inclusively downloading.  When (if) using a One Step Update, click the settings button after when entering your Pin vault password.  You can also use the straight Download Quotes selection to get only the Quicken server data.  

The brokerage data always matches their security information to your Quicken security through a CUSIP number.  The Quicken server data always matches based on the ticker.  

From your description that the two have different tickers, it would seem that there is a mismatch in the CUSIP connection.  To correct that matching, Edit both security details and uncheck the box for "Matched to Online security".  When you next initiate a download from the brokerages, you will get the option to re-match both securities to the two Quicken securities.  That should clear the issue.   
  • Jim_Harman
    edited January 2017
    q.lurker said:

First it is important to recognize the two download sources for prices:  a) the brokerages (Fidelity and Vanguard) and b) Quicken's servers.  You can determine which which source is feeding bad data by selectively downloading rather than all inclusively downloading.  When (if) using a One Step Update, click the settings button after when entering your Pin vault password.  You can also use the straight Download Quotes selection to get only the Quicken server data.  

The brokerage data always matches their security information to your Quicken security through a CUSIP number.  The Quicken server data always matches based on the ticker.  

From your description that the two have different tickers, it would seem that there is a mismatch in the CUSIP connection.  To correct that matching, Edit both security details and uncheck the box for "Matched to Online security".  When you next initiate a download from the brokerages, you will get the option to re-match both securities to the two Quicken securities.  That should clear the issue.   

Thanks for the clarification, Lurker. As I have posted elsewhere, I am having problems in this area with downloads for the settlement fund from Vanguard's "upgraded" brokerage accounts. 

I guess we should note that the Quicken 2017 Help for Match Securities is wrong when it says
    The Match Securities dialog appears only if you've downloaded a
    security that Quicken is unable to match to one of your existing Quicken
    securities. (Quicken automatically matches a downloaded security if it has the
    exact same name or ticker symbol as one of your Quicken
    securities.)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Jim - I have two ticker symbols. In Vanguard it is VAIPX. In Fidelity it is VIPSX. The Vanguard security is an Admiral Fund (cheaper rates). The Fidelity is the standard. They are both the same name for the first part of the name. The Admiral Fund is appended with that. As Lurker suggested, I had already unchecked the "Matched to Online Security". I have not tried updating only one account at a time - will try that . However, it seems crazy since they both have different symbols.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Jim & Lurker - tried your suggestions. Still not working. However it did make a change. Previously it was taking the price for VIPSX and putting it in both portfolio entries. Now it has reversed and is taking the VAIPX value and plugging that into both portfolios. Maddening ... Maybe I ought to just sell one of the holdings...??!!
  • Jim_Harman
    edited November 2018
    OK, for reference, what version of Quicken are you running?

In the Edit Security Details/Other information from the Security Detail page for each security, are the CUSIP numbers the same or different?

Are the tickers different?

Did you try just updating the prices, without doing a one step update (this uses Quicken's server to get the prices, apparently looking up using the ticker) To do this in Q 2107, go to Investing/Download activity/Quotes. What happens then?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    I would be inclined to look in the OFX log and see what the CUSIP the financial institutions are sending for both (Help -> Log Files... -> OFX Log)
    Here is a typical entry:
    <SECID><UNIQUEID>494368103<UNIQUEIDTYPE>CUSIP</SECID>

It might tell you if somehow (should never happen) they are using the same CUSIP.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Running Quicken 2014. Been a Quicken user for at least 20 years - started on a MAC SE. Have problems over time but usually able to figure it out. I've been fooling around wit this issue off and on for a year or two. No CUSIP number shows on Edit Security Details. The tickers are different - in Vanguard portfolio - VAIPX. In Fidelity portfolio - VIPSX. Don't understand you last para ...
  • Jim_Harman
    edited January 2017
    QPW said:

I would be inclined to look in the OFX log and see what the CUSIP the financial institutions are sending for both (Help -> Log Files... -> OFX Log)
    Here is a typical entry:

It might tell you if somehow (should never happen) they are using the same CUSIP.

Yup, that's the next step. That's the problem I am having with the Vanguard Brokerage settlement fund - they use one CUSIP for the holding and a different one for the transactions.

Is there a viewer for the OFX files, or do you use an XML editor?
  • Jim_Harman
    edited January 2017

Running Quicken 2014. Been a Quicken user for at least 20 years - started on a MAC SE. Have problems over time but usually able to figure it out. I've been fooling around wit this issue off and on for a year or two. No CUSIP number shows on Edit Security Details. The tickers are different - in Vanguard portfolio - VAIPX. In Fidelity portfolio - VIPSX. Don't understand you last para ...

Is this Windows or Mac?

As Lurker suggested, for older versions of Quicken Windows, hold down CTRL while clicking Other Info to see the CUSIP
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Never delved into logs. Seems like you guys are for more technical than me...
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

Nope - CUSIP still a no show on my variant of Quicken ...
  • Jim_Harman
    edited November 2018
    OK, then try just updating the prices, as described above. What happens then? To make sure you are seeing the latest prices from the Quicken server, delete yesterday's price for both securities before you do this then see what the prices and dates are after the update.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

Windows 10 - no CUSIP number following suggestions. I actually tried to upgrade a year or two ago and it would not update. Couldn't get a human to help. Also loaded Q2015 on a MAC. Awful piece of software. Went back to Windows.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    QPW said:

Here is a typical entry:

Jim, see if this link to formatter still works:

https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpre...

There is also a viewer but intuit appears to have made it hard to get as I couldn't find where I got it in the past.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    QPW said:

Here is a typical entry:

I tend to just use my normal text editor.  It doesn't do any fancy formatting as you can see above, but I'm pretty good at searching/reading through XML so it doesn't usually bother me.  I do have a program that Intuit use to make available to its financial institution customers for this purpose, but they have since made that link unavailable to people that don't have a login.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Nope. Loads the $13.01 price for both securities in each portfolio. The VIPSX in Fidelity is $13.01. The VAIPX in Vanguard is $25.61 from last night's close.

Thanks for all the help - I'm packing it in. Dumbass security in Fidelity has gone up 7% in 9 years. Should have sold it years ago. Part of a basket of diversified Vanguard funds. I'll buy a few equities with the $45k proceeds. Less aggravation.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    q.lurker said:

Since I am not using QW2017, I will hold off on declaring the Help statement wrong. The same statement appears for my QW2014 version.  While I have often had and do have securities where the brokerage security name is not the same as my Quicken security name, I have trouble recalling a specific instance where that auto-matching would have come into play.  I would say the first sentence is accurate.  
  • Jim_Harman
    edited November 2018
    Dumping the investment is certainly one solution, especially if you don't want it anyway.

I finally tried to get the prices myself. Quicken's server downloads quotes correctly for both of these securities as long as they are not hidden. So the incorrect price must be coming from the brokerage where you hold it, i.e. Fidelity. Are you sure you don't actually have Admiral shares at Fido? If you wanted to dig into the OFX file, you could probably see exactly what is going on.

Probably easier to buy something else!
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

See pics below from QW2014

If the "Matched with online security" (first pic) is not checked, the CUSIP will not appear as no CUSIP will be associated with the security.  

If you go to the Help / Log Files / OFX Log, you can save the presented OFX data to a text file for reviewing it.  In that data, you might find a series describing a position held like:

<POSSTOCK><INVPOS>
    <SECID>
    <UNIQUEID>G0408V102
    <UNIQUEIDTYPE>CUSIP
    </SECID>
    <HELDINACCT>CASH
    <POSTYPE>LONG
    <UNITS>125
    <UNITPRICE>98.93
    <MKTVAL>12366.25
    <DTPRICEASOF>20160304120000
    <MEMO>AON PLC CLASS A
    </INVPOS>
    </POSSTOCK>

The particular formatting and string information can vary between brokers, but as I have seen it, this is how the brokerage supplied prices <UNITPRICE> get to a Quicken security <UNIQUEID>G0408V102 <UNIQUEIDTYPE>CUSIP for a particular date <DTPRICEASOF>20160304120000, in this case March 4, 2016.  Another portion of the data can associate the CUSIP to a Security Name.  Note that the Memo field above does not establish that association.  .
This discussion has been closed.