QWindows Sub accounts (16 Merged Votes)

greg.ziolkowski
greg.ziolkowski Member ✭✭✭
Quicken has sub accounts for income & expense categories. Why can't there be sub accounts for assets and liabilities? It would make for neater and more condensed reports.
5 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Greg,
    can you give us a sample of what you would like to see in, for example, a sub account of an asset account? How should this be structured?
  • greg.ziolkowski
    edited March 2017
    I am using Quicken 2016 for Windows.

A couple of examples would be:

Investments - Tax Free - which may include a number of sub a/cs e.g. IRA - me; IRA - spouse; 401k - me; 401k - spouse; .different advisers ..etc

Investments - Taxable - may have many brokerage a/cs, other investments

Home - Purchase price; major repairs; improvement; Zillow - est mkt value; Est. sales commission
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Investments - Tax Free - which may include a number of sub a/cs e.g. IRA - me; IRA - spouse; 401k - me; 401k - spouse; .different advisers ..etc

Home - Purchase price; major repairs; improvement; Zillow - est mkt value; Est. sales commission

What makes you think those categories don't already exist?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

I think he wants sub-accounts not sub-categories.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• mshiggins
    edited November 2019

I'm not sure if matters. You can have an IRA spouse and an IRA me in Quicken. You can have house purchase and home major improvements and home major repairs. These capabilities already exist.

• greg.ziolkowski
    edited February 2017
    The categories are available and I use them. But unlike income and expense categories that provide for sub categories. That allows for more concise reporting. Currently if you prepare a report, if you want all assets or liabilities to be included, the report will show all of them. E.g. you have multiple checking and savings accounts, It would make for a better report to have those type of assets appear as two line items rather than showing each individual account. Same for liabilities, e.g. credit cards - one line item rather than each one shown.
  • greg.ziolkowski
    edited February 2017
    When you use Tool,Category list - or Ctrl, Shft, C, it includes all. In other words, Quicken uses categories and accounts interchangeably. What is different is that non income/expense categories/accounts do not provide for sub-categories/accounts.
  • mshiggins
    edited March 2017
    It sounds like what you are looking for is Report subtotals. Many reports can be subtotaled. I recommend you explore report customizing.

• greg.ziolkowski
    edited March 2017
    Thanks. I will look into it. I still would like the subaccount option for assets & liabilities.
  • mshiggins
    edited November 2019

Thanks. I will look into it. I still would like the subaccount option for assets & liabilities.

You can subtotal reports by accounts or categories or tags, just to name a few of the possibilities. I am confident you can report for investments, assets, and liabilities.

• greg.ziolkowski
    edited October 2018
    I'll look into it. But what you are describing seems to indicate that ALL the A/Cs would still be listed. What I'm looking for is the ability have the report just show the subtotal. The easiest way in my mind would be having the ability to have sub-accounts of asset and liability categories. What the report would look like is what an income and expense report looks like. e.g. Auto Exp. I have about 12 sub-accounts of Auto. When the report comes up, the total Auto Exp shows preceded by + which indicates that there are additional categories. Clicking on the + then shows all the categories within.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

I'll look into it. But what you are describing seems to indicate that ALL the A/Cs would still be listed. What I'm looking for is the ability have the report just show the subtotal. The easiest way in my mind would be having the ability to have sub-accounts of asset and liability categories. What the report would look like is what an income and expense report looks like. e.g. Auto Exp. I have about 12 sub-accounts of Auto. When the report comes up, the total Auto Exp shows preceded by + which indicates that there are additional categories. Clicking on the + then shows all the categories within.

" indicate that ALL the A/Cs would still be listed. "  NO.  Any Q report can be customized to include, or exclude, ANY account, any category, any tag, etc.
    It can then be memorized so that you don't have to do that exclusion again.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I would like to be able to show sub accounts below an account ie: Credit Union Savings account with a sub account for Savings-Fuel, Savings-Housing expenses, Savings-groceries, Savings-vacation, etc... I would like the main account to show the total balance of the sub accounts. Is that possible? That way I'd be able to see exactly how much is earmarked for each item. I tried using Tags, but can't get the reports to show it properly.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

I would like to be able to show sub accounts below an account ie: Credit Union Savings account with a sub account for Savings-Fuel, Savings-Housing expenses, Savings-groceries, Savings-vacation, etc... I would like the main account to show the total balance of the sub accounts. Is that possible? That way I'd be able to see exactly how much is earmarked for each item. I tried using Tags, but can't get the reports to show it properly.

What you're NOW talking about is handled in Q by "Savings Goals".  Take a look, in Q Help, for that topic.

• greg.ziolkowski
    edited October 2018
    I still have not been shown a way to group like ACCOUNTS (not categories) . Ex. I have a number of credit card accounts. Rather than have them ALL LISTED in a report, I would like to just have a single line that contains the sum of the credit card balances. i.e. if I'm running a Net Worth report, I would only see the total rather than each credit card account.

This would be helpful for any for a number of Asset & Liability ACCOUNTS.
  • greg.ziolkowski
    edited November 2019

I still have not been shown a way to group like ACCOUNTS (not categories) . Ex. I have a number of credit card accounts. Rather than have them ALL LISTED in a report, I would like to just have a single line that contains the sum of the credit card balances. i.e. if I'm running a Net Worth report, I would only see the total rather than each credit card account.

I should have said "the option" to just have a single line.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

And, it would be almost meaningless.  You owe each card some amount.  On the Net Worth report they're all individual liabilities.

If you want a sum of JUST your card balances, run a report filtered to those accounts only.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

The example is I have funds coming into a checking account earmarked for specific activities:  Scholarships; Donations; Building fund.  I have not been able to find a way to show money in the checking account as segregated for a specific purpose.  
  • greg.ziolkowski
    edited November 2019

you don't get it.
  • mshiggins
    edited November 2019

Reid, this is what the Savings Goal feature is intended for.

• mshiggins
    edited November 2019

Greg, why don't you post an example of what you're envisioning the report to look like.

• greg.ziolkowski
    edited November 2019

Good Idea.

I saved a Net Worth Report to an Excel file showing how a report would depict one's Assets and Liabilities to arrive at Net Worth (Overall Total).

The Report in this example would show 30 asset and 6 liability accounts. With like items grouped only 9 asset and 3 liability lines would convey the same Net Worth. That is to show 1 total each for checking,savings,cash, house, f&f,vehicles, his investments, her investments, joint investments, credit cards, mortgage and car loan.

Net Worth - As of 1/28/2017

(Includes unrealized gains)

Account 1/28/2017 Balance

ASSETS LIABILITIES

Cash and Bank Accounts Credit Cards

checking 1 $1.00 credit card 1 $1.00

checking 2 $2.00 credit card 2 $2.00

checking 3 $3.00 credit card 3 $3.00

checking 4 $4.00 credit card 4 $4.00

checking 5 $5.00 TOTAL Credit Cards $10.00

checking 6 $6.00

Saving 1 $7.00 Other Liabilities

Saving 2 $8.00 home mgt $5.00

Saving 3 $9.00 car loan $6.00

Saving 4 $10.00 TOTAL Other Liabilities $11.00

Saving 5 $11.00

cash 1 $12.00 TOTAL LIABILITIES $21.00

cash 2 $13.00

TOTAL Cash and Bank Accounts $91.00 OVERALL TOTAL $429.00

Overall Total s/b Net Worth

Other Assets

House $14.00

Home improvements $15.00

Mkt Appreciation $16.00

Est Comm. on sale of house $(1.00)

Household assets - f&f $17.00

Vehicle 1 $18.00

Vehicle 2 $19.00

Vehicle 3 $20.00

Vehicle 4 $21.00

TOTAL Other Assets $125.00

Investments

his invest 1 $22.00

his invest 2 $23.00

his invest 3 $24.00

his invest 4 $25.00

his invest 5 $26.00

her invest 1 $27.00

her invest 2 $28.00

her invest 3 $29.00

joint invest $30.00

TOTAL Investments $234.00

TOTAL ASSETS $450.00 TOTAL LIABILITIES & NET WORTH $450.00
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    So, was this  feature ever considered in a new  version of  Q?  It would be very helpful for the church accounting I do. Keeping three different (sub-)accounts in our main operating account and trying to do this with categories is not the most elegant solution... ;)  (Presently we're on Q 2013, but we would upgrade if this feature were available.)
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

So, was this  feature ever considered in a new  version of  Q?  It would be very helpful for the church accounting I do. Keeping three different (sub-)accounts in our main operating account and trying to do this with categories is not the most elegant solution...  (Presently we're on Q 2013, but we would upgrade if this feature were available.)

Robert, if you elaborate upon those 3 sub-accounts someone might have another method that could work for you.
    Include the purpose of the sub-accounts ... and why they can't be 3 separate accounts (the sum of which could be totaled in a Q report).

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

So, was this  feature ever considered in a new  version of  Q?  It would be very helpful for the church accounting I do. Keeping three different (sub-)accounts in our main operating account and trying to do this with categories is not the most elegant solution...  (Presently we're on Q 2013, but we would upgrade if this feature were available.)

Thanks, NotACPA.  Our operating account is used for most everyday church business, PLUS we keep missions income and expenditures and a savings category for our pastor's annual SS payment.  By using categories we can keep these I/E transactions separate, but it's difficult to show balances as we would if these were considered "sub" accounts from the main operating account.  If there's a technique we could use, (not savings goals), I'd be glad to try it. 
    OH...they can't be separate accounts because the balances are too small to avoid service charges, and our accountant audits our operating account only.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Why not savings goals?  Presumably your governing board sets an annual budget for Missions.  That amount would be the Savings Goal.  Then you would record contributions towards the savings goal, and deductions from it.

The same would also work for the SocSec payment (which you should be able to estimate fairly well for the year ... since your board sets the salary upon which the SocSec payment is calculated).

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    First off, this is all very confusing, because Quicken has ZERO support for "sub-accounts".

If what you're really describing is sub categories, fine, I'm all in.  But there are no capabilities for sub-accounts in Quicken.  
  • greg.ziolkowski
    edited May 2018
    Like Mr. Weber asked, is there and consideration being given to providing for subACCOUNTS?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

First off, this is all very confusing, because Quicken has ZERO support for "sub-accounts".

If what you're really describing is sub categories, fine, I'm all in.  But there are no capabilities for sub-accounts in Quicken.  

Due to lack of demand and other factors (mainly other more pressing issues to work on), this is probably something they won't be doing.

Remember, this is PERSONAL finance software.  You're using it in a not for profit environment, which Quicken isn't designed to do.  You can make it work, but not by creating sub accounts...since there are NONE in Quicken.

Perhaps you would be better off looking at QuickBooks, which presumably, as business software, would be able to accommodate your needs better. 

As to your unique situation, why not just create accounts instead of having them as sub accounts?

You can have:

A A checking account for your everyday church expenditures and deposits

B Another physical account for your missions income and expenditures, thus another account in Quicken

C An escrow type of liability account where you can transfer funds from the general fund for the pastor's social security payments...because if the church is holding that money, then the amount of that social security withheld should be in a Quicken account.  If you are making weekly, biweekly or monthly social security deposits to FICA then the funds come from that account when you make the actual payment.  So, the payment comes from the general fund checking account and the payment is a transfer to the liability account...which in essence should zero the amount in the liability account for whatever period you are actually paying for.

It's no different than setting up tax liability accounts if you have employees and you "escrow" their federal withholding, state withholding, FICA and state unemployment compensation.  And then you pay those liabilities from the general checking account with transfers to the individual liability accounts.

I think you are overthinking what you need to do.  First off, I would think it would be bad accounting from a church audit practice to comingle the church general fund with the mission fund...so I would have two separate bank accounts for that...and two Quicken accounts.  

I'm hoping this is clear.  It's not a difficult solution.  If you need more guidance, let me know.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2019

It's completely clear, gmalis. thank you for your thoughts.

[edited[