Brokerage downloads causing uncategorized zero entries

Nancy Keith
Nancy Keith Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
When downloading brokerage transactions, the buy transactions download correctly with all purchase price data, yet each new buy adds a zero uncategorized entry viewable on transaction report. How do I fix and how is this caused? Using Quicken 2017 Windows

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Zero what - shares? Dollars? Both?

Have you selected "Show cash in a checking account" on the Account Details page? That will record Buys as BoughtX transactions and produce two lines in the transaction report as the money goes in and out of the linked checking account.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Nancy Keith
    Nancy Keith Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I have the cash balance displayed in the brokerage register; the cash stays in that account. This only started happening since my upgrade to 2017.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    There is nothing to fix, this is how it always works.  If you look at the entry for a buy (or sell) you will see that it is not possible to put in a category.

So on reports that show a category it is basically treated as "Not Categorized".

If you don't want them on a given report you can customize the report not to include "Not Categorized", but in general you should look at that so make sure that there aren't transactions that you really wanted categorized (this would be more for the reports on categories).
  • Jim_Harman
    edited November 2018
    What you describe doesn't appear to be happening on my system (QW 2017 R4). Some transactions have 2 lines in the Investment Transaction report but it is not the Buys. A Sell with capital gains has 1 line for the returned principal (no category) and 1 for the gain or loss. BoughtX's have 2 as I mentioned above. ReinvestDiv's have 2, 1 for the dividend received and one for the shares purchased.

The only odd thing I see is that Div's have 2 lines, one blank after the ticker and the second with the ticker, category, and amount
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017

What you describe doesn't appear to be happening on my system (QW 2017 R4). Some transactions have 2 lines in the Investment Transaction report but it is not the Buys. A Sell with capital gains has 1 line for the returned principal (no category) and 1 for the gain or loss. BoughtX's have 2 as I mentioned above. ReinvestDiv's have 2, 1 for the dividend received and one for the shares purchased.

The only odd thing I see is that Div's have 2 lines, one blank after the ticker and the second with the ticker, category, and amount

I believe Nancy Keith is referring to the banking transaction report.
    But you can also see this very clearly on a spending by category report.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited February 2017

Maybe so, but she is talking about brokerage transactions with purchase price data.

On my banking transaction report for an investment account without a linked checking account, it has the fund name and the number of shares in the Description column (as downloaded I think) but has zeros in the Amount for Buys and Sells, as you would probably expect, because the money is staying in the investment account. It has a second line for Sells with a gain or loss.
  • Nancy Keith
    Nancy Keith Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I've enclosed a copy of the report that shows the issue that I'm having. It also shows the related entry as it was entered by the downloaded transaction. Truly, I think that since this has only happened since the Qkn 2017 upgrade, it might be a bug.image
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017

I've enclosed a copy of the report that shows the issue that I'm having. It also shows the related entry as it was entered by the downloaded transaction. Truly, I think that since this has only happened since the Qkn 2017 upgrade, it might be a bug.image

OK that is the investment transaction report, but with it grouped by category.
    It is going to show the same thing I was talking about on the other reports that show the category.

As I said there are some action types where you can't give a category, and as such they are put under uncategorized.

In one way I guess this can be considered a bug, but if they didn't put these transactions under uncategorized they wouldn't show up in the report at all when grouped by category, and that would be much worse.

And this is nothing new.  Here are examples of Quicken 2016 vs Quicken 2017.
This discussion has been closed.