QWin 2016: Is there a workaround for Account Balances Report problems with investment accounts?

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I am using Quicken 2016 Deluxe for Windows version R10(25.1.10.1).

I have already determined that in investment accounts, the Deposit and WrtChk entries are not visible to the Account Balances Report.  This results in wrong balances in the report for investment accounts.

So, I want to know if there is a word-around for this that works on my version of Quicken?

Others have talked about Xin and Xout, but these actions are not available in this version of Quicken. All of my investment accounts are not connected for online transaction download.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The "Account Balances" report, as the name implies ONLY shows balances ... not transactions such as Deposit or WrtChk.

Try the "Transaction" report to see transactions.  REPORTS, Banking, Transaction
    Or try the Investing Activity report

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Fletcher, are you saying that the balances in the report are off by the totals of deposits and checks? I'm using the same version of Quicken that you are, and I'm not seeing this. My report balances agree with my register balances. Have you tried validating your file?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    Only in the Account Balances Report are the investment balances different from the Accounts Bar.  These investment balances are off by exactly the amount of Deposit and WrtChk type entries.  This has been the subject of of numerous entries in the forum.  What I need is a work around for this particular problem.  Other types of accounts do not have this problem.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited October 2018
    First I've heard of it. Again, have you run Validate & Repair on your data file?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    I spent some time doing everything that I could to isolate the problem.  This did include a validate and repair of my data file. This operation is clean, and the problem still persists.

The thing that pointed to the problem was to enable account details in the Account Balances Report.  This revealed the negative and positive values that were throwing off the balances.  These values exactly matched both Deposit and WrtChk operations in the investment accounts,

Please note that the Accounts Bar  and the Account Balances Report were only different for the investment accounts.  There is no similar problem in other accounts as there is no WrtChk or Deposit operations.  Other accounts use different acronyms for these operations, and as a result,
    these other balances are correct.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited October 2018
    I'll admit I'm going blind. Where do you see "enable account details" for the report?

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    In the Account Balances Report screen, open the Customize screen.  There on the the Display tab is a check box for "Account Detail".
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited October 2018
    Right in front of my eyes, thanks. Sorry, I don't think I can help you because I can't reproduce it. My balances agree to the penny. One perhaps salient difference is that I have write check transactions but no deposit transactions.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    edited October 2018
    Cash in & out should be reflected in the -Cash- lines of the report. Mine match perfectly. I don't know what to tell you.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I do not believe there is a generic issue with cash transactions for investment accounts and the Account Balances report.  There may be some issue with you specific file.  In locating a few cases of your type of report, corrections, changes, tweaks, to the file seemed to have corrected an issue.  
    XIn and XOut transactions are the Action tags for transactions that move cash in or out of an account from a different account.  They should be available to your version either throguh direct line entry (Action = XIn or XOut) or through the Enter Transactions button and the Cash Transferred ... selections.

In your other post, you indicated the problem accounts may have been through several Quicken renewals.  That could well be a significant factor.  One poster apparently dealing with the same type of issue indicated he accomplished a 'fix' by simply editing some transactions (I believe he cited XIns and XOuts) without actually making a change to the transactions.  I would also consider making a small change such as adding a period to the memo field.  

Not elegant and not particularly attractive, but it may be what you need to do.  Hopefully fixing one or two might eliminate the need to "edit" all of them.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    In the -Cash- line of one of the reported accounts amount reads -52,084.00.  There is a corresponding WriteChk with this same exact same amount.  There were stocks sold to cover this check. There is only one WriteChk in the whole account.  You tell me what I should conclude.

If I look at the Account Overview for this account, I see a -Cash- value of zero.  The Account Overview and the Account Detail in the report should be the same, including the total.  Instead, the Account Balances report shows that the account in question is short by $52,084.00.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    In reply to q.lurker, I tried making the small change you suggested.  It didn't fix the problem.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    Just out of plain curiosity, I note that this is the only transaction with a split category in the whole account.  I'm going to try making two separate entries to remove the split and see what happens.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Halleluja!.  Removing the split from the transaction by making two entries, apparently did the trick.  The account balance on the Account Balances Report is now correct!

Now, how do I close this thread?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited February 2017

Halleluja!.  Removing the split from the transaction by making two entries, apparently did the trick.  The account balance on the Account Balances Report is now correct!

You can't close the thread. Only a moderator can. But thanks for reporting back with the workaround.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017

I also just found that an old investment category _AccruedInt no longer
    exists.  I had to change the category of that entry in order to get
    things to balance for one bond in my investment account.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017

BTW thanks for the help.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Alumni
    edited February 2017

Fletcher, thanks for following up to let us know what resolved the problem for you. I'm closing this thread, as you have requested.
This discussion has been closed.