Add true multi-currency conversion support in Quicken for Mac (317 Legacy/Merged Votes)

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

I agree with smayer97 that the few votes for multi-currency support may not reflect actual demand. Americans overseas who can't use the Mac version seem much less likely to vote than current users considering additional features.

I'd like multi-currency to work the same way it does in QWin (where I can maintain multiple bank accounts in different currencies). I also don't understand why you'd do the necessary programming just for a new Canadian version, rather than the U.S. version. As I mentioned earlier, you have a large, untapped market of millions of American ex-pats who can't use the Mac version without this feature. Seems to me that from a business standpoint, you'd want both Canadians and Americans to purchase the program.

Quicken Marcus:  Quicken for Mac doesn ́t have the minimal foreign currency support that Quicken for Windows has.  For example, it does not support transfers between accounts in different currencies, doing the adequate currency conversion.  That is an example of a basic, critical feature for a minimally usable currency support function which the Quicken Mac product doesn ́t have.  I had to return the Mac product mainly for its lack of a usable foreign currency capability.  Also for the very bad and full of errors import function of the Windows QDF file, which produced surprising and crippling errors on balances and stock totals.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

I agree with smayer97 that the few votes for multi-currency support may not reflect actual demand. Americans overseas who can't use the Mac version seem much less likely to vote than current users considering additional features.

I'd like multi-currency to work the same way it does in QWin (where I can maintain multiple bank accounts in different currencies). I also don't understand why you'd do the necessary programming just for a new Canadian version, rather than the U.S. version. As I mentioned earlier, you have a large, untapped market of millions of American ex-pats who can't use the Mac version without this feature. Seems to me that from a business standpoint, you'd want both Canadians and Americans to purchase the program.

I did ́t make the 2017 upgrade for this issue.
  • JM112
    JM112 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017

P.S. I think the fact that Banktivity has a whole section on multi-currency support on its features list (https://www.iggsoftware.com/banktivity/features.php) suggests there is demand for this from Mac users.

Quicken 2000 for PCs was last Quicken I could use as this was the only true flexible for transfers and reporting  multi currency program had - it was abandoned as of 2001 in the PC model + a sad loss + and I need it in a MAC version.... this is why I still use Mac 2000 PC HELP please....
  • JM112
    JM112 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017

P.S. I think the fact that Banktivity has a whole section on multi-currency support on its features list (https://www.iggsoftware.com/banktivity/features.php) suggests there is demand for this from Mac users.

Unfortunately I still am having to use QUicken 2000 for PC because the Intuit company is simply out of touch with the market.... I wanted to switch to Mac as all my computers in our officies are MAC now, but am having to use a 16 year old program that thankfully still works on an old PC... I have given up hope that Quicken will come around... Tried Money Dance for Mac but it was way more complicated than Quicken 2000 for PCs ...
  • JM112
    JM112 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

So I have given up on Quicken... they just do not get it.... as someone pointed out... they would have millions of more customers if they would just make the easy and necessary adjustments to bring back the 2000 multi-currency capacity that 2000 had.... on the look out for a company that wants to keep up with the times.... JM
  • Steve97@
    Steve97@ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I'd like to see support for foreign security conversions.  I have some Canadian stocks that I would like to see converted to USD.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Also include the ability to add custom currencies....like in QWin, I had custom currencies of Pt (Points) and Mi (Miles)....
  • Gabor Gresz
    Gabor Gresz Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2017
    It's pitiful that such a basic function like multiple currency conversion in such a sophisticated financial software like QM2017 is even a question. I just bought QM. It was a mistake. I go back to either moneywizz or moneydance or ibank5. Without having multiple currency support you can't even get a realistic total worth value if you have assets in other currencies. I'll use the 60 day money-back guarantee Q offers. How can any financial software doing worldwide business not assuming that it's very common to have assets in multiple currencies? After so many years using different financial softwares there is just not one out there that would meet all basic requirements. If someone out there would finally build a good one, I'll buy. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017

I'm a Canadian+Mac user... think about THAT for a second! ie I need to use the US-Mac version and I miss out on the currency benefits of the Canadian Windows version!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017

it is unconscionable that Intuit would have the gull to sell this product outside the US.
    The ability to move funds between two accounts in two different currencies is paramount.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    I would buy quicken for Mac if it supported multi currency like the quicken 2006 New Zealand version does. I am running windows xp via parallels on my Mac to run quicken 2006. It's getting hair raising doing this but that program still works. There are issues with my file because the back ups when restored don't bring over the share prices and currency. However I will continue to use that 2006 program until I figure out an alternative. Like many others I have spent weeks trying to find an alternative and revisited it every couple of years.

At present I'm trialling using quickbooks online plus plan which supports multi currency as my cashbook side of things and tracking my investments on sharesight cloud based portfolio tracking. There are quite a few work arounds to get this to work and it's a lot dearer than a desk top application.

I might also try quicken for windows though as I've found a way to import files that my bank exports.

Btw just an aside I tried moneydance. Didn't like it at all, far too many mouse clicks just to enter one transaction. I would develop rsi using that programme and got a refund.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018

Agree..that's why I still retain a PC.

After so many years they finally made a decent Quicken for Mac. But this time the use of multiple currency is missing. Why Quicken never does the same it does for Windows? Why Mac is always a stepson. Eric you here me... I send 100 $ to a Euro account it goes as 100 €... I wish it was true but unfortunately it is not true... Please make it happen in fall 2017 version...
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017

For the time being the most useful finance psoftware for MAC is SEE Finance and to my taste it has no real competition. I hope Eric does something about it...
  • Gabor Gresz
    edited August 2018
    Quicken has no idea about the magnitude of business they miss out by just those two simple facts that 1. more and more people are using mac computers, 2. millions of potential (and current) customers lives outside of the US or have multiple currency accounts within or outside of the U.S. Not having multiple currency support in the mac version ignores these customers and leaves a huge portion of potential market uncovered. It's only a matter of time for competitors to break in and they already are doing that: moneywizzapp, moneydance, ibank, etc.. Multiple currency feature is so simple that even google sheets can do it very easily or an excel file and both automatically downloads and updates the newest exchange rates. It took 10 years for Q to come up with a usable mac version (that it self is outrageous) and than they leave out such a basic feature that was even part of their earlier (otherwise very poor) QM. Their business-model will be taught in schools on how to live below your maximum potential.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017
    Quicken did a great job in multi-currency support for their Windows version (more than 10 years at least). Just wonder why they cannot do the same in Mac version. I bought the previous Mac version Quicken without knowing it cannot support multi-currency and ended up never open it again and continue my Window version during parallel desktop. Is it the Quicken company wants to see how their software in Mac will end up like this.....
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017

I'm waiting too for the fall 2017 version. I'm a user since 1995 and change to Mac version last year. Very disappointed with the multi-currency conversion (not in windows version). Eric, don`t loose a customer...
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

Quicken has no idea about the magnitude of business they miss out by just those two simple facts that 1. more and more people are using mac computers, 2. millions of potential (and current) customers lives outside of the US or have multiple currency accounts within or outside of the U.S. Not having multiple currency support in the mac version ignores these customers and leaves a huge portion of potential market uncovered. It's only a matter of time for competitors to break in and they already are doing that: moneywizzapp, moneydance, ibank, etc.. Multiple currency feature is so simple that even google sheets can do it very easily or an excel file and both automatically downloads and updates the newest exchange rates. It took 10 years for Q to come up with a usable mac version (that it self is outrageous) and than they leave out such a basic feature that was even part of their earlier (otherwise very poor) QM. Their business-model will be taught in schools on how to live below your maximum potential.

BTW, QMac never had multi-currency support. And of course current implementation only allows recording the currency of an account register but no conversion handling.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Gabor Gresz
    edited October 2017

According to Q's own record here: https://www.quicken.com/mac/compare they had multiple currency support in 2007 Mac version. That's why I thought that if they had that a decade ago, they should have it now
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    I did find a work-around for transferring funds from one currency to another.  Just create a dummy cash account (named mine foreign currency throwaway).  Split the transaction and enter the actual cash amount for the receiving currency and post the remainder (or excess) to the throwaway account.  Mark this account as hidden so it won't affect your sidebar balance.  Just something to use until they improve the Mac version to behave more like the Windows version.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Marcoman said:

Just saw where you can vote on Quicken's website for Multiple Currency Support to be added to Quicken for Mac 2017.  The link is: https://www.quicken.com/mac/compare
    A screen shot of the voting section is showing below.
    Please vote if this feature is important to you.

I use QKN for records and will never download from a bank. You create a path directly from your system to each bank account. Might want to rethink this option.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    2017 is a subscription annual payment required for continued use. I was taken for $43.20 to find this out. Talked to support signup was $299. I said no way. Stick with version 2016 and don't connect directly to a bank and use on your system only ad be fine.  Imo, we are likely to see more software take this path. I pray not.
    MissyB
  • Quicken Colin
    Quicken Colin Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Leo Lady said:

2017 is a subscription annual payment required for continued use. I was taken for $43.20 to find this out. Talked to support signup was $299. I said no way. Stick with version 2016 and don't connect directly to a bank and use on your system only ad be fine.  Imo, we are likely to see more software take this path. I pray not.
    MissyB

Creating a separate conversation

Please reference the new conversation here: Issue contacting support about my version of Quicken.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    Yes I need Quicken able to post IDR with 12 digits numeric. Thanks
  • Stewart Baillie
    Stewart Baillie Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I too have a work a around, but thats not the point,  I have been a Quicken user since Quicken for DOS 3.0 in 1990.  I have always used multi currency transactions.

One can only hope that the design team has got the message.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017

I too have a work a around, but thats not the point,  I have been a Quicken user since Quicken for DOS 3.0 in 1990.  I have always used multi currency transactions.

One can only hope that the design team has got the message.

I agree, the point and the need is a standard way of viewing all accounts including investments and posting transactions in currencies other than USD on the go.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Because it is a related idea, you may want to add your VOTE to Add Support for Foreign Currency in Quicken Mobile.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

This IDEA will eventually be added to the List of Requests for Quicken Mobile FeaturesWhile you are at it, click on the underlined link, then click FOLLOW on that page to be notified when more new related ideas are added so you can add your vote to them. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017

For the record, although Quicken for Mac 2018 allegedly supports foreign currency transaction support among its "new" features, it doesn't.  Just read comments from 2018 users about this problem on another thread.  Very disappointing.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    And, please, in addition to implementing true support for foreign currency transactions, it is imperative that the migration utility for moving Quicken for Windows data to Quicken for Mac works flawlessly in the handling and migration of foreign currency account transfers.  Migration is a critical an integral part of the implementation of this feature.  I -like many more users- have hundreds, or thousands, of QW transactions that cannot be migrated because of the flawed migration function.   Even on Quicken for Mac 2018, reports are that neither one nor the other function work.  Very disappointing.
  • Rich Cook
    Rich Cook Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

I haven't seen the other comments, but I am a 2018 user with an account in Thai Baht and while it's not perfect, at least it truly supports the account in Thai Baht and properly does transfers between it and other currencies in a way I find acceptable.  And it counts it correctly.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    I'd like to be sure that Quicken for Mac 2018 supports foreign currency transaction before upgrading to the new version. I work in US$ and euros, and need to make transfer between accounts as I did when I was a windows user (till 2015).