Manually add daily balance to my MMF

Options
Ken W.
Ken W. Member ✭✭✭
edited September 2018 in Investing (Mac)
I'm using QM2017 4.4.3 with OS 10.12.4. I want to track a Money Market Fund (MMF) value by manually entering its daily value that I read from the Fund's web site. This fund is not associated with my current brokerage account and I don't want to have to manually calculate the change in price from the previous day. Also, I want the value of the MMF to be included in my total net worth. Is there a way I can "trick" Quicken to treating the MMF as a security in a separate account and just put in the balance as the current price? I used to do this in QM2007.

Comments

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Options
    If the MM Fund is tied to a brokerage you can set it up that as a separate account or as a mutual fund. If you want to control the price action manually then locate the security under security details edit the security uncheck the download quotes options.
  • Lyn Buddenhagen
    Lyn Buddenhagen Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Am I missing something? Virtually all money market funds have a price of $1.00 per share every day. If you are wanting to include a separate MMF account in your portfolio, yes create a separate account for it - then either download (not working well in QM2017 for MMF's) or manually enter each buy, sell, addition, withdrawal, and income entry. 
  • Ken W.
    Ken W. Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Concordman: Must be me. I've tried as you've suggested setting up a brokerage account and as a mutual fund. The brokerage account does not work properly and the explanation is too complicated to address here. I'll take it up directly with Quicken on (Tuesday - Thursday - Monday and Friday are not good days to call them.) I had no success trying to set it up as a Mutual Fund either.

Lyn: You are, of course, correct. Trouble is that this is no really a MMF. It's much like a CD, where the value increases by a fixed percentage daily.

For what it's worth, this account is a sub account in a Variable Annuity Fund. The sub account behaves exactly like a CD, except for the annual maintenance fee.
  • Lyn Buddenhagen
    Lyn Buddenhagen Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Ken W. said:

Concordman: Must be me. I've tried as you've suggested setting up a brokerage account and as a mutual fund. The brokerage account does not work properly and the explanation is too complicated to address here. I'll take it up directly with Quicken on (Tuesday - Thursday - Monday and Friday are not good days to call them.) I had no success trying to set it up as a Mutual Fund either.

Lyn: You are, of course, correct. Trouble is that this is no really a MMF. It's much like a CD, where the value increases by a fixed percentage daily.

For what it's worth, this account is a sub account in a Variable Annuity Fund. The sub account behaves exactly like a CD, except for the annual maintenance fee.

Oh, yeah, the GIC fund in my 401k acts the same. For that 401k (at Merrill Lynch Retirement Services) I can't download prices and transactions, but I can export Quicken data then import it into QM2017. Sorry I can't help.
This discussion has been closed.