QWin 2016: 401(k) Self Directed Account (SDA) (SDBA)

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
How can I track/setup a TDAmeritrade brokerage account that is part of my 401(K) as a self-directed option?  Quicken 2016 Premier

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    ... that is part of my 401(K) 
    Even though it is part of your 401k, I suspect you will need to set it up as a separate account, such that you may have two 401k accounts in your Quicken datafile.  That may then generate some companion challenges with respect to coordinating and reconciling to what may come across in paperwork as one account.  

Since you offered no elaboration on what difficulties you might have had trying to set up this TDAmeritrade account, that speculative answer is all I can offer at this time.  
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Why isn't this just a 401k Brokerage type account?  It looks like it would be all 1 account, to me ... pending further info from Jim.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

Why isn't this just a 401k Brokerage type account?  It looks like it would be all 1 account, to me ... pending further info from Jim.

My impression was that the OP had a 401k through his company, managed by whomever.  Part of his and the company's contributions are managed as a regular 401k -- limited fund selection.  Part is self-directed -- he can buy pretty much anything he chooses.  

I am suspecting without real knowledge that the 401k administrator takes a hands off attitude toward the self directed part and may (speculation again) only download info on the directly managed funds.  Heck, they may not even do that.  

But this self directed portion as I see it would be a 401k Brokerage type account, I agree.  Whether the two parts can be one Quicken account, that I do not know.  Insufficient information at this time. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Sorry for the lack of details.  My company has a 401(k) Plan administered by ABA Retirement.  They are the American Bar Association, which sponsors 401(k) plans for legal entities.  There are a series of investment options that are managed by Mercer/VOYA, which are not ticker symbol searchable.  They are baskets of fund grouped into various investment types (Large-Cap Equity, Small Cap-Equity, Global Bond, etc.).  Another investment option within the Plan is a TD America Brokerage Account known as the SDBA (Self-Directed Brokerage Account) option.  You can invest in anything available through TD America.  This SDBA is a part/portion of the total 401(K) Plan.

In Quicken, I was thinking maybe I could have a 401(k) Plan, and within the plan, have the basic investment funds as "securities", then add a "security" called TDAmerica Cash Account, then add each security that I purchase within the SDBA be listed within the Plan.  I know this will show a total amount in the Plan, which will be reported to me as two separate balances (The main Plan funds total, and the SDBA total).

I hope this makes sense?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Jim Chait said:

Sorry for the lack of details.  My company has a 401(k) Plan administered by ABA Retirement.  They are the American Bar Association, which sponsors 401(k) plans for legal entities.  There are a series of investment options that are managed by Mercer/VOYA, which are not ticker symbol searchable.  They are baskets of fund grouped into various investment types (Large-Cap Equity, Small Cap-Equity, Global Bond, etc.).  Another investment option within the Plan is a TD America Brokerage Account known as the SDBA (Self-Directed Brokerage Account) option.  You can invest in anything available through TD America.  This SDBA is a part/portion of the total 401(K) Plan.

In Quicken, I was thinking maybe I could have a 401(k) Plan, and within the plan, have the basic investment funds as "securities", then add a "security" called TDAmerica Cash Account, then add each security that I purchase within the SDBA be listed within the Plan.  I know this will show a total amount in the Plan, which will be reported to me as two separate balances (The main Plan funds total, and the SDBA total).

I hope this makes sense?

Your Quicken setup is really going to revolve around a couple of points based on downloading data and your preferences.  You are going to end up in Quicken with either one account covering the whole 401k or two accounts separately covering the VOYA/Mercer portion and the SDBA portion.  

If one or both portions does not download data or you choose not to download data, you can keep all the recording in one Quicken account.  If under that setup you are downloading data from one of the portions and not the other, you will get messages from Quicken that your data is out of sync because the download data is only one portion of the picture.  

If both portions offer download data that you want to take advantage of, or only one does but you want the in-sync messages managed better (sort of like a self-reconcile feature), then you will want two Quicken accounts covering the two portions separately.

Off the top with the info at hand, I would lean to the second direction.  Quicken will still give you readily accessible means to see the combined picture.  There are no provisions for "sub-accounts".  

I could have a 401(k) Plan, and within the plan, have the basic investment funds as "securities",
    Fine.  You'll have monthly cash contributions and Buy Shares of VOYA Lg Cap, VOYA Sml Cap, VOYA Global Bonds, etc.  
    then add a "security" called TDAmerica Cash Account,
    Not really necessary.  You'll have a 'cash' balance in the account from the monthly contributions.  What is not spent on VOYA plan funds remains available for the SDBA.  
    then add each security that I purchase within the SDBA be listed within the Plan.  
    You'd continue this for the SDBA portion as Buy Shares of IBM, Apple, Tesla, Fidelity Magellan, etc.  for which you would later be receiving dividends, selling shares, buying other shares, etc.
    I know this will show a total amount in the Plan, which will be reported to me as two separate balances (The main Plan funds total, and the SDBA total).  
    In Quicken, this type of one-account setup will most commonly show as one balance; there are ways to get a breakout into two.  I think you are saying your plan administrator will be reporting this as two balances. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017
    Jim Chait said:

I hope this makes sense?

Thank you.  I think you covered my options.  I think I am leaning towards the one Quicken account.  That way I believe I can do price updates which will update the listed securities prices/values, and then just update the Voya/Mercer Funds periodically manually, either from Statements or online lookup.  The downloading of data is not as important a feature to me, as I don't mind entering the buy/sell activities myself. 

Thanks very much for your informative reply.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017
    Jim Chait said:

I hope this makes sense?

If you have a self-directed account, enter the type as "IRA", not 401k. That's all there is to it. No need to have a linked cash account.

the type "401k" is just not suitable for your purposes.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    It seems to this ignorant observer that all the answers assume the self-directed accounts are either part of a traditional IRA or 401k plan. They are self-directed only to the extent you get to chose which fund you want to put your money in. You are talking about tradeable securities and the typical institutions that manage such programs. On the other hand, I have a self-directed IRA, both traditional and Roth, where I invest in real estate. For example assume right now I have Greenfield and Baxter. I can see Greenfield in the account but don't see how to enter Baxter unless I create an entirely different account, call it Baxter. In that both are held by Equity Trust, why can I not put both under my Equity Trust account. I don't need the non-existent download to Quicken feature as there are so few entries to make. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Bill said:

It seems to this ignorant observer that all the answers assume the self-directed accounts are either part of a traditional IRA or 401k plan. They are self-directed only to the extent you get to chose which fund you want to put your money in. You are talking about tradeable securities and the typical institutions that manage such programs. On the other hand, I have a self-directed IRA, both traditional and Roth, where I invest in real estate. For example assume right now I have Greenfield and Baxter. I can see Greenfield in the account but don't see how to enter Baxter unless I create an entirely different account, call it Baxter. In that both are held by Equity Trust, why can I not put both under my Equity Trust account. I don't need the non-existent download to Quicken feature as there are so few entries to make. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

It seems to this ignorant observer that all the answers assume the self-directed accounts are either part of a traditional IRA or 401k plan. 
    Because that is what the scope of the question was - a TDAmeritrade brokerage account self-directed IRA.  You have a different self directed IRA question for which you should start your own new discussion (assuming there is not a relevant discussion around already).
This discussion has been closed.