How to merge one-fund-per-account accounts into a single account?

Andy Howell
Andy Howell Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I added a 529 plan with American Funds. Quicken adds each fund as an individual account. I want to see a simple summary of all the funds in the 529 plan.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

To be able to give
    you a correct answer, we need to know what version, feature level and release
    of Quicken you are using.  An answer
    given for one product may not apply to the other.

Which version of
    Quicken do you have: Quicken Mac or Quicken for Windows?

If Quicken for
    Windows,

• Do you have the US or the
      Canadian version?
    • Which feature level do you
      have?

US: Starter Edition, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business, Rental
      Property Manager

Canadian: Cash Manager, Home & Business
    • What version (year 20xx) do
      you have?

Click Help / About
    Quicken (Mac: Quicken / About Quicken) to determine year/version and
    release.

What version of Windows or Mac OS are you using?

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    IF American Funds requires Single Mutual Fund accounts ... then there's no way to do what you request and continue to download from them.  I have no idea (I'm not their customer) if they require SMF or not.

If they don't require SMF, then pick one of your existing fund accounts in Q as the eventual successor of all (there's no need to open yet another account).  Do, TOOLS, Account List and click EDIT across from that successor account.  Click NO adjacent to "Single Mutual Fund Account".

Then, in each of the non-Successor accounts, use the "Shares Moved Between Accounts" action to move your positions to the Successor. 

You MIGHT need to make the same "move" action at AF themselves ... depending upon they have your account(s) set-up.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Andy Howell
    Andy Howell Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I'm using quicken US version on windows: 2017 Premier R6 Build 21.1.6.1

Thanks
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

IF American Funds requires Single Mutual Fund accounts ... then there's no way to do what you request and continue to download from them.  I have no idea (I'm not their customer) if they require SMF or not.

If they don't require SMF, then pick one of your existing fund accounts in Q as the eventual successor of all (there's no need to open yet another account).  Do, TOOLS, Account List and click EDIT across from that successor account.  Click NO adjacent to "Single Mutual Fund Account".

Then, in each of the non-Successor accounts, use the "Shares Moved Between Accounts" action to move your positions to the Successor. 

You MIGHT need to make the same "move" action at AF themselves ... depending upon they have your account(s) set-up.

If I recall correctly, American Funds does require one account per fund.  

(At least that is what I said two years ago.)
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

ANDY, given this comment, it's probably appropriate for you to contact AF and inquire about the matter.
    I have no doubt that q.lurker was correct 2 years ago ... but who knows if that's still true?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.