Qwin 2013: Cash Balance in Investment Account/Holdings

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Question 1:  I am working in Quicken 2013 in Windows 8.  Is there a way in an investment account to show which cash items have been reconciled to statement; i.e., an R next to the item?

Question 2:  In an investment account, one stock that I sold continues to show on my list of holdings.  How do I get it out of there without deleting the history of owning then selling the stock?  Thank you.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Answer 1:  Pretty sure there is a Reconcile feature in Q2013 for investment accounts.  Either Account Actions or a gear in the upper right corner of the register should show that feature.

Answer 2:  Go to Investing > Portfolio and click on the account, then click on the + sign next to the stock in question.  That will give you the remaining "lot".

It's possible you have fractional shares you need to dispose of.  You can either go back to the final sale of that stock and adjust the shares, including the fractional shares, or you can go to that account register and select "Adjust share balance" from the Enter Transactions button.  
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    gmalis1 said:

Answer 1:  Pretty sure there is a Reconcile feature in Q2013 for investment accounts.  Either Account Actions or a gear in the upper right corner of the register should show that feature.

Answer 2:  Go to Investing > Portfolio and click on the account, then click on the + sign next to the stock in question.  That will give you the remaining "lot".

It's possible you have fractional shares you need to dispose of.  You can either go back to the final sale of that stock and adjust the shares, including the fractional shares, or you can go to that account register and select "Adjust share balance" from the Enter Transactions button.  

re: Answer 2.  It's my belief that the preferred method would be to adjust that last Sale transaction to a SELL ALL ... which would remove that small fraction of a share.

It's the date of the transaction, and the amount of the transaction that's significant ... not the teeny weeny fractions of a share.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    There is no Sell All option.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    marygme said:

What he means is:

1 Write down the date and total amount of the last transaction that was supposed to liquidate the account (presumably a SELL transaction).

2 Delete that transaction.

3 Create a new SELL transaction for that security for the date and total amount.  If you use the ENTER TRANSACTION button, when you select SELL you will have an opportunity to "Sell All Shares" rather than specify the exact number of shares.  

Check the "Sell All Shares" box and then enter the TOTAL AMOUNT of the sale.  Quicken will calculate the price, which is inconsequential and the outstanding number of shares will be filled in for you.  Only the total amount and the number of shares matters.  

That should work.

I still like my method better (Adjust share balance)...but either will get you to the same place.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    marygme said:

Oh...I forgot to post that this becomes more difficult if you have transferred the cash proceeds to another account using the SELLX transaction.

If you delete the SELLX transaction, you will break the transfer...so, I stand by my original post to use the Adjust Share Balance (to zero) transaction type. 
This discussion has been closed.