Quicken total value & cost basis do not match actual value & cost

peters4
peters4 Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Using Quicken Premier 2017 ver. R6 on Win10 (64) PC. In one Vanguard account, Quicken is:
  1. displaying different total value amounts for one mutual fund on the Security Detail View/Holdings and the main screen's left side "Accounts" list and
  2. neither of those amounts or the underlying cost basis for the fund agree with the actual total value & cost basis as reported by Vanguard.  The differences are very, very large.
Quicken downloads for several Vanguard funds but this error is occurring with only one of the funds.  All the others are correct.

I have re-downloaded the transaction history, repair/validated my qdata file twice (no errors were reported) and deleted the investing price history once.  None of these has corrected the problem.  I have also reviewed the investing history and found no errors.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Can you drill down to see the individual lots on the Portfolio page?  Are those correct?

Also, can you check the price history for each individual mutual fund in that account?  Sometimes that can get "mucked up".

Just grasping at straws right now.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Cost basis can vary from what Vanguard is reporting if you have previously sold any of the fund and didn't pick the same shares (same lots) for sale as Vanguard chose.

Unless you specify otherwise IN WRITING at the time of the sale, fund companies typically use FIFO as the selection method for which shares to sell.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• peters4
    peters4 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    No, I cannot see any individual lots on the Portfolio page but can on the Security Detail View page.

There are 3 funds in the account and all of their price histories look OK.
  • peters4
    peters4 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    To NotACPA: This is not the case here.  Quicken is reporting I have -500+ shares in the account: yes, that's minus 500-plus shares.  Since all the transactions in this account are straightforward buys & sells (no short sells or other exotic trades), it's impossible to have a negative share balance.  And, by the way, the last transaction was in mid-December.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    peters4 said:

No, I cannot see any individual lots on the Portfolio page but can on the Security Detail View page.

INVESTING tab > Portfolio.

Find the account in question.  Click on the triangle to the left of the account...that will display the individual funds.

Then click on the + sign next to each fund.  That will display the individual lots for that fund.  Make sure the shares are correct for each lot.

Also...in that Portfolio view, does the amount THERE equal the amount shown in the Account Bar?  If it does, that's the correct amount!
  • peters4
    peters4 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    peters4 said:

There are no individual lots (transactions) shown for the fund in question.

While the amounts shown in the Account Bar agree with those shown in the Portfolio view, those amounts are incorrect. They do not agree with what Vanguard is reporting and, as I've noted elsewhere, one of them (# of shares owned) is a negative number.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    peters4 said:

To NotACPA: This is not the case here.  Quicken is reporting I have -500+ shares in the account: yes, that's minus 500-plus shares.  Since all the transactions in this account are straightforward buys & sells (no short sells or other exotic trades), it's impossible to have a negative share balance.  And, by the way, the last transaction was in mid-December.

That -500+ would suggest that you've got a corrupted Q data file. SO,
    1) FILE, File Operations, Copy.  Then, using the copied file
    2) FILE, File Operations, Validate and Repair ... being SURE to check BOTH "Validate File" and "Rebuild Investing Lots" before you click OK.

If that doesn't fix things, there are a couple more options ... so please report back.

• peters4
    peters4 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    peters4 said:

That didn't work.  And there were no errors reported in the validation report.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    peters4 said:

Repeat the validation process.  BUT, this time, hold down the CTRL and SHIFT keys from the time you click "File Operations" until Q displays a "SuperValidate" message.

• peters4
    peters4 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    peters4 said:

Super Validating did not correct the error
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    peters4 said:

OK, there's 2 more things to try.
    1) Download and install the Q MONDO (not Manual) patch from here:  https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

2) if that doesn't address the issue, try using QCleanUI to uninstall Q and then re-install Q.  (A Win uninstall isn't sufficient).  QCleanUI won't touch your data, only the program files, but if you wish you can always run a backup prior to running QCleanUI. https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    In my opinion, having the -500 share count being displayed, I would adjust the as-of date back in time to determine on which date that count went awry. I would then delete and re-enter the applicable transaction on that date.
  • peters4
    peters4 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    This helped. I found the days during which the problem occurred (it was two years ago but Quicken didn't start screwing up until last week -- go figure) and then added shares to the account to get it to agree with the correct amount. 
This discussion has been closed.