QWin 2017 Premier: Purge investment transactions with history that are over 10 yrs old and have been

Options
larschnur
larschnur Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I have investment transactions dating back to 1983. The file is now very large and new transactions are slow to add. If there a way to purge closed bought and sold transactions along with the dividends for stocks and bonds no longer owned. I would like to purge all closed items that are over 10 years old.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Alumni
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hi Larschnur,

I'm sorry for any confusion or inconvenience this has caused. To help us provide the most appropriate response, please let us know which Quicken product (QWin or QMac) and what version (2016, 2017, etc.) you are using. Also, are you using the US version of Quicken or Quicken Canada?

Thanks,
    Dave
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    There is no process in any version of Quicken which will do what your are asking. 

The Year End Copy process does not work against investment accounts.

Probably your best course of action would be to create a new account in your existing file and doing a Quicken "move" of just the active positions (you have to decide which are active) to the new account.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• larschnur
    larschnur Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hi Larschnur,

I'm sorry for any confusion or inconvenience this has caused. To help us provide the most appropriate response, please let us know which Quicken product (QWin or QMac) and what version (2016, 2017, etc.) you are using. Also, are you using the US version of Quicken or Quicken Canada?

Thanks,
    Dave

Using US Version Quicken Windows Premier 2017.  What I am asking has never been in Quicken.  There are a number of suggestions that I have to improve Investments but over the many years I have used Quicken, they have been ignored.
  • larschnur
    larschnur Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    No I disagree. There are many active positions in multiple accounts in my Quicken file.  Also to note,  the QDF file grows and grows with investments.  My file is now 70,000 KB so no wonder it is slow when adding transactions. The best course of action would be a new process added by Quicken to incorporate a purge process.  This would not be difficult, just the criteria for deletion would be critical!
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    larschnur said:

No I disagree. There are many active positions in multiple accounts in my Quicken file.  Also to note,  the QDF file grows and grows with investments.  My file is now 70,000 KB so no wonder it is slow when adding transactions. The best course of action would be a new process added by Quicken to incorporate a purge process.  This would not be difficult, just the criteria for deletion would be critical!

Welcome to the club, I've been asking for some bugs to be fixed for years and they still exist and imo, fixing bugs are more important than new features.

If you want to suggest a new feature, start a new post and select "Idea", it will go into that hopper and if you get enough users to vote it up, maybe it will be acted on.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    larschnur said:

I can only imagine the mess the Quicken programmers would make of having a purge feature available.

I have ZERO faith in the Quicken programming staff being able to fix anything...let alone adding anything new that actually works.

I've been a user since the mid 1980's and this software is a complete mess.  
  • larschnur
    larschnur Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    larschnur said:

Unfortunately, a complete re-design is required.  The flat files used are dated.  A real database is necessary for investment transactions.  The only reason to not move forward is a rather large upfront cost.  I designed my own investment tracking system back in the 80s.  Quicken came along and it was easier to migrate back then rather than continually keep up with programming.
         BTW, it is not the programmers but the design of a system where the failures originate and a lack of quality control testing.  I have demonstrated faulty addition on the bond entry and was told I was wrong. I even sent the screens.  It was obvious to me at least where the error was.  The variables in the code for the screen entry equations were wrong and I believe still have may be incorrect.  Downloads of bought and sold bonds work correctly.  Just a little detail here to show why you have a lack of faith in the programming staff.
  • larschnur
    larschnur Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hi Larschnur,

Thanks,
    Dave

Dave,
    Quicken premier 2017 US windows version running on Windows 10.  Do you want to know the processor also, Intel I7 broadwell, I think. I am not confused but living with a tired old flat file product that needs a complete re-design to handle stocks, bonds, money market securities, and mortgage backed securities and whatever else I can think of.  Real Estate would be a very different product.  A properly designed would have a market.  You should really think database!
This discussion has been closed.