QWin 2017 (R6): Was the security renamed? Pop-up when updating Quicken brokerage accounts

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited May 2018 in Investing (Windows)

I have Quicken Premier 2017 for Windows, R6, 26.1.6.1

Every time I update our brokerage accounts, Quicken shows a pop-up window that asks, "Was the security renamed?" and down below it says, "It looks like a security you hold may have been renamed."  Then it lists two securities that are not even remotely similar.  One example is that it asks if Harley Davidson (HOG) has been renamed Intel (INTL).  I always check "This is not a rename / these are not the same securities" and then OK.  The Quicken asks me about two more totally dissimilar securities and I go through the same process.  It asks me the same silly question for EVERY security in every portfolio, and after going through all of that, it will not download the new reports.  I spent over two hours today with on-line chat, and they couldn't fix this.  This has been happening for about a week.  I've been using Quicken for almost 25 years, and I've never seen this before.  I have tried Validate and Repair (about half a dozen times) and have uninstalled and reinstalled Quicken.  The problem still happens.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    I don't have an immediate answer because I need to ask a question of the experts watching this.

Q: Does Quicken store other metadata to identify or resolve potential security matches, something like a CUSIP number?  

The answer may provide insight into your problem of errant matches, Stan, because something is cueing Quicken to think there's a match to resolve.

Have you tried deleting both of the "matching" securities and letting the system redownload them?  That may not be possible, I know, if you have a large number of transactions against them.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    My first step would be to restore a backup taken before the problem occurred.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Jim Butt said:

I don't have an immediate answer because I need to ask a question of the experts watching this.

Q: Does Quicken store other metadata to identify or resolve potential security matches, something like a CUSIP number?  

The answer may provide insight into your problem of errant matches, Stan, because something is cueing Quicken to think there's a match to resolve.

Have you tried deleting both of the "matching" securities and letting the system redownload them?  That may not be possible, I know, if you have a large number of transactions against them.

Thank you!  Unfortunately I do have a very large number of securities -- we've been using Quicken to track our investments for over 20 years, so there is a lot of history there, and a lot of securities.  I don't know about whether Quicken stores CUSIP numbers or not, but it would seem to make sense.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    mshiggins said:

I've tried that several times.  The problem has been occurring for about a week and a half, so today I found a three week old backup, and the problem still occurred.  I then dug out an old hard drive with a backup from about 9 months ago.  The problem still occurred, after updating the file.  I'm going to talk with Quicken support by phone tomorrow (the web chat couldn't solve the problem) and if they can't help me fix this, then my fallback position will be to use Quicken just for my checking and credit card accounts, and forget about using it to track investments.

I appreciate your suggestion however, thanks!

• mshiggins
    edited June 2017
    mshiggins said:

I don't recall reading about this issue before and I've been reading this and other Quicken forums for a long time. My guess would be data corruption or something really odd with the particular financial institution's transaction download data.

Have you done any security renaming? Any account transfers or corporate actions recently?

Which financial institution? I've downloaded from Fidelity, eTrade, Ameritrade, and LPL recently and have encountered no issues.

My next troubleshooting step would be to look through the OFX logs. You can access that under Help | Logs. It's easier to save the log as a text file and open with a text editor like notepad. For one of the problem securities, I'd look for info from the last good download and the current bad download and see what, if anything, is different.

• mshiggins
    edited June 2017
    Tom Young said:
    Well apparently I have seen this before :-/. Since the OP never responded on the older post, I'm not sure the suggested solution actually fixed the issue.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    mshiggins said:

No I haven't done any security renaming.  My financial institution is D. A. Davidson, and I've been downloading my data from them for nearly 10 years with no problems.  I've sent their IT people some recent OFX logs but haven't heard back yet.  I'm going to talk with Quicken phone support tomorrow (the chat support couldn't figure it out after 2 hours) and if they can't solve it I'll probably go back to paper statements and use Quicken just for my checking and credit card accounts. Thanks for your thoughts.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Jim Butt said:

@Jim Butt:  Yes, Quicken does store CUSIP numbers and that is the primary method of matching online (brokerage reported) securities to securities in the Quicken data file.  The CUSIP only comes from the brokerage download; there is no way to manually enter the data in your Quicken file.  The data is visible from the Edit Security details window - Ctrl-click on the "Other Info" button for a security that is matched with online security.  The CUSIP number will show in the lower left corner of the Other info frame.  If you examine an OFX/QFX file download (Help -- OFX logs) you should be able to find CUSIP references in the brokerage data.

But I do not know that such info is relevant to the OP's question.  I would be suspicious of data corruption which would likely require restoring a backup from before this issue first arose.  Beyond that, my speculative comments in the thread linked below in Tom Young's post would be my best guess.  Whether that applies in this case, I can't say.  And another two years after that post, I still have never seen this pop up.   
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Jim Butt said:

Quicken is totally stumped also.  I've spent several hours either in chat support or phone support, and they are out of ideas.  I've restored several times from older QDATA files from before the problem began, but it recurs anyway.  The last thing Quicken told me was that they would continue to research the issue and let me know if they come up with anything.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Jim Butt said:

Here is an idea that may or may not work...but at this point, why not try?

Backup your data file first, of course.

Go to your securities and uncheck them for downloads.  I know you have a lot of securities and it will take some time.

Exit Quicken, then restart Quicken.

Then check the securities for downloads again.

Then update historical prices (only)...don't do a complete download. 

This might be a complete waste of time, but to me, it might be worth a try at least.

Then download again and see what happens.  

Also, I'm surprised that no one mentioned validating your data file and rebuilding your security lots.  Maybe that will re-link your securities to the correct names.

I don't know...but since you've gotten no answers with this, I guess at this point I'd try anything.  

Anyone else want to chime in on this before he tries what may be a very long procedure to try?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Jim Butt said:

I actually have performed Validate & Repair numerous times, to no avail.  I may try the suggestion from gmalis1 a little later and see if that works.  Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Jim Butt said:

I have no clue whether it will work or not.

Besides, you say you have validated your data file.  Have you super-validated the file?

And...have you used the "Rebuild security lots" option under the Validate and Repair?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Jim Butt said:

I've restored several times from older QDATA files from before the problem began, but it recurs anyway.  
    It recurs when?  First time you download new transactions from one specific brokerage?  If so, which brokerage?  How are you executing that download?  One-step update?  Is it a direct connect download or a web connect download?  

Presumably Quicken is performing a Compare Holdings check for you at that time.  True?  A compare holdings looks at what your Quicken data has for your current holdings in that account and compares it against what your brokerage is showing for that account.  After you have answered all the "not a rename, not the same" questions, do your holdings match up correctly all across the board?  

From there we may need to head into the OFX logs to see if the brokerage is really sending the right info.  That'll be a later check and posting.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Jim Butt said:

It recurs the first time I update and have new transactions to accept.  My brokerage id D. A. Davidson -- I've been downloading from them for over 10 years.  It's a one-step update and it is direct-connect.  Answering "not a rename..." takes care of everything for that particular download, but then it's off to the races again with the next download.  I've sent the OFX logs to the brokerage, and I'll follow up with them to see if they found anything.  When I did the Validate and Repair option I always checked the "rebuild security lots" option and today while talking with the Quicken support person (very nice by the way -- she was really trying to help) we did a super-validate.  I'll find out tomorrow if that worked, when I do an update.  I want to thank everyone for their comments.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Jim Butt said:

I've sent the OFX logs to the brokerage, and I'll follow up with them to see if they found anything.  
    I would be doing some of my own investigation rather than relying on the brokerage to tell you something.  For one of my brokerages, the relevant section comes in like below beginning with an Investment position list (INVPOSLIST).  From there for each holding there is CUSIP data, Units, prices, dates, etc.  This example is for what the broker considered to be a debt-type position, but you'll also find them for stocks, MF, etc.  Another portion of the log would associate CUSIP to SECNAME.    

<INVPOSLIST>
    <POSDEBT>
    <INVPOS>
    <SECID>
    <UNIQUEID>464288687
    <UNIQUEIDTYPE>CUSIP
    </SECID>
    <HELDINACCT>OTHER
    <POSTYPE>LONG
    <UNITS>20000
    <UNITPRICE>38.79
    <MKTVAL>7758
    <DTPRICEASOF>20170609060000.000[-6:CST]
    </INVPOS>
    </POSDEBT>

I'd be checking a few in the OFX file to make sure they really match up correctly -- Name to CUSIP to shares and prices.

You may find that your data is more strung together.  Copy the data to a text file reparse some of the info, insert line breaks for readability.  You can also then use find functions.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Jim Butt said:

thank you!  I never would have thought of that.  I'll try it today and see what I find.
  • mshiggins
    edited June 2017
    Jim Butt said:

It was suggested a couple days ago in my comment:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...

This discussion has been closed.