Quotes for two stocks, out of 21 total, don't update.

Options
Bob Terrazas
Bob Terrazas Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Quicken Deluxe 2016, Release R12 (25.1.12.2)  Changed brokers on one portfolio with 4 securities. All are many years mine and on Quicken for over 15 years. Added one new security after the broker change. New security downloaded fine as did 3 or the 4 old securities. The old security initially downloaded all past activity, which has now disappeared. The new security downloaded the acquistion. Other securities in this group are fine, no problems. I've updated the program, downloaded and installed the Mondo patch, closed and rebooted it, updated everything and still nothing. I've checked the Online Center, compared to portfolios where I'm told Quicken and portfolio are in agreement. They're not. Market values and unit prices are different that what show in Investments but on the Online Center they're accurate, the others unchanged. I've tried update from the Security Detail, it does, but display doesn't change. Frozen in time. No problems with other portfolios and 19 other securities. ???????

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    It sounds like the problem securities in Quicken are no longer matched to the correct securities at the new brokerage. Perhaps the new brokerage is using a different variation on the security's name or something.

If you look at the Security list, do you see multiple securities with the same ticker?

If you do a One-Step update then scroll to the bottom of the Security Detail view for the affected securities, does it show the correct date and time for the update?

On the Security Detail view/Edit Security Details, is "Matched with online security" checked? If so, you might try un-checking this and repeating the one-step update. This should force it to re-match with the downloaded security info from the brokerage and may get things back in sync again.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Bob Terrazas
    Bob Terrazas Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Appreciate the suggestion. Tried it. No luck. You're close on your appraisal of the problem and I thought you had it. When I downloaded from the brokerage, the one old security had some garbage after the name. The ticker was the same. I deleted the tail end of the wording on the name of the company as it was NOT the real name. No other changes. I had never seen it before, something like (Reverse Split). It was after that it fouled up. On the other recently acquired security. I made no changes at all. It went into the program on the initial download, included the acquisition cost and I thought it was OK until I downloaded the following day. There is a small round icon appearing between the names and the number shares on those two securities. I've never seen that before. Putting the cursor on that gives date of the last update which always comes up with the date the day before even though it's been several days with no update activity. Attempting to update quotes from either the Security Update View or the Investing view both indicate "receiving" but nothing happens on the two involved securities. One other location, can't remember where, takes me to the Intuit web page where I'm asked for name and password. When I update there I get the message Intuit is aware of the problem and is working on it and it gives me varying ID numbers for the error. I do have Backup for the data from just before I set up the new broker. I've thought about backing up the current data file, deleting and trying the setup of the new brokerage again, but that doesn't answer the question of the initial download of the new security that immediately fouled up after it downloaded. Any other suggestions I can try?
  • Bob Terrazas
    Bob Terrazas Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I think I see the problem now. "Operator Error"! I had 4 securities in an account called "Reinvestments". They were dividend reinvestment plans with a transfer agent. I moved those securities to Vanguard. The easy way seemed to me to be to change the name of the account to 'Vanguard', set up the online downloads and just keep going. All the old transactions can be found in the 'Investing' page, Transactions. Three of those securities transferred over just fine when I did the first download, the fourth partially transferred over but not all the way. Not sure what happened when the new security was acquired and downloaded as I never fiddled with that. I have a Backup from just before I did this and a backup now while working with it and not knowing what I'm doing. Any advice or suggestion?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

I think I see the problem now. "Operator Error"! I had 4 securities in an account called "Reinvestments". They were dividend reinvestment plans with a transfer agent. I moved those securities to Vanguard. The easy way seemed to me to be to change the name of the account to 'Vanguard', set up the online downloads and just keep going. All the old transactions can be found in the 'Investing' page, Transactions. Three of those securities transferred over just fine when I did the first download, the fourth partially transferred over but not all the way. Not sure what happened when the new security was acquired and downloaded as I never fiddled with that. I have a Backup from just before I did this and a backup now while working with it and not knowing what I'm doing. Any advice or suggestion?

Why do you have an account named "Reinvestments" in the first place?

I have a Backup from just before I did this and a backup now while working with it and not knowing what I'm doing. Any advice or suggestion?

This statement makes zero sense.  
  • Bob Terrazas
    Bob Terrazas Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options

HAD!!! Handled those in hands of transfer agents for the companies. Not other way to handle and keep track. They did not download and were updated manually. Zero sense? Are you the guru? How would you do it? Need to do it right in the backup data to get things working again and still keep track of old transactions. I have the old transactions. Why doesn't that make sense?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options
    If you had transactions in and a security held in one Quicken account and in one real life DRP account, and you then moved that security into a real world Vanguard account that contains more than one security, IMO, in Quicken, you should create that Vanguard account and then use the Shares Transferred action (Enter Transactions button) to move the shares from the Quicken DRP account to the Quicken Vanguard account.  

The Shares Transferred action will move (Remove Shares and Add Shares transactions) each lot of the DRP security held in that DRP account to the Vanguard account.  The cost basis and acquisition dates of each lot will be maintained for future cap gains considerations.  There is no need to move all the individual transactions from DRP account to the Vanguard.  

You can separately Shares Transferred from each of the four DRP plan accounts to the now common Vanguard account.  

Once you have the security holdings in the Quicken Vanguard account, then you can match up those Quicken securities to the real world securities as Vanguard knows them.  You should make sure that the tickers you have identified in Quicken for the four securities are correct real world tickers.  
  • Bob Terrazas
    Bob Terrazas Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Thanks a bunch. I think I just straightened everything out. At least everything downloaded fine at this point.

What I did was to Restore a 7/3 Backup. It had the 4 old reinvested securities and had not downloaded anything into the renamed account.It had all the old transactions thru 7/3 except the newly acquired security. I Validated the file and it was clean. I had apparently already changed the name on the account and set up the Online account for downloads but hadn't downloaded anything. I guess I got 'smart' to Backup before I went too far. Don't recall what I did that screwed things up on the old data file when I came back after backing up. In any case, I did a complete update just now. The new security downloaded into the renamed Vanguard account as did the old security that had somehow gotten corrupted, and it too updated properly. I'm not going to blame the program but still can't figure what I did to cause such unusual behavior. In any case, I validated the date and the report is short and sweet. Clean with no problems. I hope it downloads and things go as normal in the morning.

Thanks for the efforts of all here. Appreciated. Still wish I knew what action by me caused the problem originally but all's well that ends well.
This discussion has been closed.