Windows 10, Quicken 2015 Deluxe R13.

Bill41
Bill41 Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Windows 10, Quicken 2015 Deluxe R13. On 8/2/2017 SVU (SuperValu Inc.) did a reverse split 7:1. Although there is a downloaded transaction for the split on 8/2/2017, the Holdings page shows the quantity of the of the original shares (3200) and an entry for the new quantity (457.142857) on another line. The Market Value displayed is 8 times what it should be. I tried to do an update share balance on 8/1/2017 of zero, but it still shows as 3200 shares of holdings. How can I correct this skewed balance?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

It looks like you relied on downloading from the brokerage.
    This will get you a "Shares added / removed" for the additional new shares.
    This will also download a "Split" transaction with the (hopefully) correct ratio.

Delete the downloaded Shares added/removed transaction.
    Delete whatever adjustment you tried to make.
    All one usually needs is one Split transaction on the correct day.

Now go the Portfolio view, set As of Date to 8/3 (or today) and press Enter.
    This should show you the correct adjust-for-split number of shares.

If it doesn't, I'd need to see a filtered Investment Transaction report for this security, date range 2 weeks around the split effective date.

Can you please
    capture an image of the parts of your Quicken window showing the
    issue as well as a copy of this report preview, redacted as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe
    the situation, and attach the image(s) here?

The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to
    capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the
    image.

To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or BMP only.

To attach the image here, start composing your reply. At the bottom of the text
    entry window you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I U S

Click the camera icon (not the video camera icon). It will allow you to select
    and upload the captured image file from your computer. The captured image will
    be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

• Bill41
    Bill41 Member
    edited November 2018
    I deleted the 2 transactions as per your instructions.
    Before:
    After:
    :image
    There are 2 lines in Holdings. Should there only be one?
    There is only one transaction in the report.
  • Bill41
    Bill41 Member
    edited November 2018
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Delete the Placeholder Entry and replace it with a Stock Split transaction.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Bill41
    Bill41 Member
    edited November 2018
    Should I check OK on this, or should I enter the transaction manually?image 
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    If you go back to your first picture you can see exactly what went wrong and how to fix it.

Delete the two placeholder entries.

Do the StkSplit transaction on 3,200 shares.  3,200 / 7 = 457.1428571428571 shares.  Since Quicken only goes out to 6 places past the decimal point that will become 457.142857.

Keep the "Sold X" transaction to leave you with 457 shares. 

Check to make sure the quotes for the period a few days before and after the split are correct.

You should never allow AUTOMATIC ENTRY of downloads and you should NEVER ACCEPT PLACEHOLDERS; figure out why you're getting a placeholder and fix whatever needs fixing, which might simply be NOT ACCEPTING the placeholder.
  • Tom Young
    edited August 2017
    Bill said:

Should I check OK on this, or should I enter the transaction manually?image 

As I said right below, NEVER BLINDLY accept anything that Quicken (or the broker) throws at you.  In this case the question is: "have you entered the reverse split properly?"  If so, cancel that prompt.  If not, then cancel the prompt and enter the split properly in the investment Account.

(I've been using Quicken since the days of DOS.  I've had probably a hundred stock splits, all of which I've entered properly.  Even so, it's a very rare year when I don't get at least one of these "Stock Splits May be Missing" screens, frequently referring to splits that happened several years ago.)
  • Bill41
    Bill41 Member
    edited November 2018
    Thank You for your assistance. Would this be the correct entry?image
  • Tom Young
    edited August 2017
    Bill said:

That certainly looks like a 1 for 7 reverse split to me.
  • Bill41
    Bill41 Member
    edited August 2017
    Bill said:

My problem is that when I enter the split adjustment it doesn't change the total number of shares. The number of shares remains at 3200 with a market value of $79,744 instead of the correct 457.142857/$11,392 values. When entering an Update Share Balance, it adds the new balance to the old balance. The new Security Value is now $91,136.image
  • Bill41
    Bill41 Member
    edited August 2017
    Bill said:

I noticed a balance in More Accounts. Quicken had duplicated the Split Stock Transaction in an old 401K ING account. The account was transferred to the new 401K VOYA account on 12/31/2007. My plan now is to print the transactions, for my record, on the ING  account and delete it.
  • Tom Young
    edited August 2017
    Bill said:

My quick test in a test file worked fine:

I notice that you seem to be reverse splitting a different stock.  All the other entries refer to "Supervalu Inc" but the split is referring to "Supervalu Inc."  Maybe that's the issue?
  • Bill41
    Bill41 Member
    edited August 2017
    Bill said:

Thank you for noticing that period. I will pursue it. 
This discussion has been closed.