QWin 2017 Deluxe: Placeholders:

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I am running Quicken 2017 Deluxe on Windows 10. I received a stock dividend/stock split of 1.49333333:1. All activity was manually entered. Quicken set up a place holder showing 0 shares and showing the entire history. of the stock essentially reconciling the balance. I followed instructions and tried to stop the placeholder and nothing happened. In addition Quicken accepted subsequent dividends (Divx transactions), posted them but didn't send them to the cash account as anticipated. I have been using Quicken for about 20 years and this is the first time this feature has appeared. How do I really get rid of placeholders and get my program to work like it should?????

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Please see the FAQ post on this topic:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Good article but it doesn't help. I do not use automatic downloads. i manually enter all investment activity. The only exception is when updating price history, if Quicken finds a stock split mentioned it alerts me and posts it if I allow it. That was not the case here (Quicken price download never identified the split) and that approach has never resulted in a placeholder. Based on logic discussed, I should never see a placeholder since all the placeholder activity centers around downloading brokerage activity.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Good article but it doesn't help. I do not use automatic downloads. i manually enter all investment activity. The only exception is when updating price history, if Quicken finds a stock split mentioned it alerts me and posts it if I allow it. That was not the case here (Quicken price download never identified the split) and that approach has never resulted in a placeholder. Based on logic discussed, I should never see a placeholder since all the placeholder activity centers around downloading brokerage activity.

That isn't completely correct you can certainly get placeholders in a manual entry account.  In fact one way is at the time you create it.

For instance if you were to enter a security in this dialog:
    And then in this one:
    After selecting Next you now have a Placeholder.
    Why?

Because you have told Quicken to put some shares of a security in Quicken, but there is no where you told it when they were bought or at what price.

You are getting a placeholder because some shares have magically appeared out of nowhere.

So now that we know other things like a split transaction can trigger Quicken putting in placeholders the first thing is to make them visible so that you can deal with it.
    It should actually be visible in the Placeholder Entry tab at the bottom of the register(expand the tab).

Edit -> Preferences -> Investment transactions -> Show hidden transactions (this will show the placeholders in the register)
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options

@QPW

Your example showed how a placeholder could be created by an incomplete set up of a new Account in Quicken, but I'm not sure how you get from there to the statement "So now that we know other things like a split transaction can trigger Quicken putting in placeholders."

Over the years I've had Quicken suggest several times that I'm missing a stock split - even though I'm not - but I always dismiss these suggestions and have never had a placeholder in my investment Accounts.  How can Quicken enter a placeholder for a "missing" split unless I allow it?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Well that was my long winded way of saying this "Based on logic discussed, I should never see a placeholder since all the
    placeholder activity centers around downloading brokerage activity." isn't correct.  Placeholders can be created for other reasons. I'm not sure why they were triggered in this case.

But in fact it isn't the point.  The point is Tom Lieven shouldn't dismiss the advice in the FAQ just because he isn't using automatic downloading.

He does have placeholders, and he does need to deal with them.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options

Amen!

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.