Is it OK/safe to "sync" desktop and laptop by saving "Backup file" to one, then restoring to the oth

Options
Using Quicken for Mac 2015 on two computers with OS Sierra:  Want to "sync" Q files between 27" iMac and 12" MacBook Retina.  Am saving "Backup file" to iMac desktop then restoring from same Q file on laptop via iCloud.  (Method is suggested by Q, but between computer and "Device" not necessarily between 2 computers.). Seems to work OK

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Why not just use a USB/Thumb drive?  MUCH easier ... only a 1 time charge at most.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Why not just use a USB/Thumb drive?  MUCH easier ... only a 1 time charge at most.

That same Q backup file appears automatically on both desktops via iCloud.  Pretty easy to just select >file>restore from backup.  My concern:  The file is getting there via the cloud which seems to be not recommended.  Thx for the reply.
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2017
    Options

You can safely move files between machines via iCloud in the manner you describe. I personally use this method as I find it easier than keeping a flash drive around in my travels.

You might read some references about saving to iCloud not being a good idea; that is in regards to storing your working file (i.e. not a backup) on iCloud.) Backups on iCloud are fine.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Thank you John.  Your remarks make perfect sense and are what I had hoped to have confirmed.  What do you do with the new backup file once it serves its purpose? 
  • John_in_NC
    edited August 2017
    Options

Tip: a backup file is nothing more than a copy of your file that has been compressed ("zipped") by the MacOS.

When you move your backup file to the destination machine, you can change the file extension from .quickenbackup to .zip, and opening that will result in an uncompressed original file.

Basically, backups are the same as the original files; the file extensions are what triggers Quicken to do different things like restore, etc. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

So, can I merely trash these backup files once they've served their purpose?  Ie, once I've restored to the new computer from the common backup file?
  • John_in_NC
    edited August 2017
    Options

If you restore the files, then yes, you can trash the backups.
This discussion has been closed.