QWin 2015 (R15): I would like to be able to correct an absurd cost basis apparently generated by Qui

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I too would like to be able to correct an absurd cost basis apparently generated by Quicken in 2014.  Qucken is calculating the cost basis as around $92 quadrillion.  Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: How do I change the cost basis of a security..

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I recommend you start a new discussion for your issue.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Hi Bracketman,

I'm sorry for any confusion or inconvenience this has caused. To help us provide the most appropriate response, please let us know which Quicken 2014 product (QWin or QMac). Also, are you using the US version of Quicken or Quicken Canada?

Thanks,
    Dave
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

There's been a whole bunch of posts with the same kind of error description posted here over the years.

This appears to be some kind of data file damage that Quicken is unable to detect and repair.

In a nutshell, you need to
    either find the damaged transaction record and delete, then reenter it
    or restore your data file from a backup taken prior to the time you first detected this problem.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    I'm using Quicken 2015 R15 build 24.1.15.1.
    Here's the cost basis for a particular holding - don't know how to correct the cost basis other than going back to a prior backup before the problem occurred (I just noticed it recently) would hate to have to reenter my spending transactions back to an unknown date.  
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Have you had short sales with this security? In addition to the cost basis problem, it looks weird that you have negative shares.

In any event, try this:

-- Back up you data file so you can revert if something goes wrong
    -- Go to an Investment/Portfolio view that shows the Cost basis for your problem security. Group by Accounts if you hold the security in more than one account
    -- Set the As of: date at the top of the Portfolio view back until the cost basis is no longer crazy.
    -- Now go forward, zeroing in on the date where it goes wrong.
    -- Go to the investment register for the account and look carefully at the problem transaction, correcting any obvious errors.
    -- If the transaction looks OK but the cost basis is still wrong, write down the date and values, delete the transaction, and re-enter it.

Repeat until any other problems are fixed.

Hopefully that will fix the problem. Good luck!
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.