In portfolio performance NASDAQ appears as a flat line.

Michele
Michele Member ✭✭
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)
In portfolio performance NASDAQ shows as a flat line.  What is the fix?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Can you please
    capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the
    issue, redacted as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe
    the situation, and attach the image(s) here?

The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to
    capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the
    image.

To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or BMP only.

To attach the image here, start composing your reply. At the bottom of the text
    entry window you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I U S

Click the camera icon (not the video camera icon). It will allow you to select
    and upload the captured image file from your computer. The captured image will
    be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

• Michele
    Michele Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Just uploaded image.  NASDAQ is flat line on bottom
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Have you got the correct symbol for the Nasdaq, COMPX?  Because I'm sure not seeing a flat line.

Are you downloading the Quotes for COMPX?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Michele
    Michele Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
  • Michele
    Michele Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Problem solved.  I just adjusted my timeline from 7 years to 5 and it pullsup nasdaq.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Michele said:

Problem solved.  I just adjusted my timeline from 7 years to 5 and it pullsup nasdaq.

Actually, I think that you've found a legitimate bug.  On that screen (now that I know where you're looking) I get the same results ... but clicking on the first and last data points shows that they are VERY different values ... they're just not getting mapped properly.

[EDIT] I've got values for COMPX going back to 1998 ... but If I graph anything before about 18 months ago, I get a flat line.  DEFINITELY a bug. [/Edit]

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Michele said:

Check your price history for blanks or corrupt values. I'm not seeing it and if the OP resolved it, I suspect table corruption rather than a bug.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Michele said:

ALL of the indices that are options to use on that graph come out as flat lines.

SO, you're suggesting that all of the indices, and only the indices, have corruption ... and the actual accounts (8 of them) don't have corruption.

More than a little unlikely.

What it looks like to me that, rather than charting prices, they're charting "values held" ... and since you can't hold an Index, they're getting $0 values.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I see a reasonable error message if I try to graph an index beyond 5 years ago.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

See my comment of yesterday.  If I try to graph COMPX (for which I have almost 20 years of values) going back beyond about 18 months, I get a flat line.

But if I select that same graph with less than 18 (or so) months of data ... I get the expected graph.

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited October 2017

I have index data back to 2002 but account data only back to about 2006. If I choose dates before 2006 I get the flat lines for indexes and then my accounts pick up as the data arises.  But if I choose dates after 2006, I get the expected graph. So something odd is going on but it is not a time issue. I suspect something in your data is preventing Quicken from solving the baseline $10,000 calculation normalized across selected accounts and indexes at Time zero.

What we know (I think) is that selecting a Time zero prior to having account data causes the flat line for indexes. You obviously have data prior to 18 months so there is something else going on. I have 10 accounts selected and 3 of those 10 do not go back to 2006 so selecting only accounts with data throughout the entire time period is not the issue.
This discussion has been closed.