Validate and Repair or File Export QXF stuck on "checking stock splits"

I am trying to go to Quicken Mac 2017 from Quicken Windows 2015 (R11). When importing the Quicken 2015 Windows QDF the process hangs on "checking stock splits". If I try to Validate and Repair the file in Quicken 2015 Windows, that process hangs on "checking stock splits". If I try to export in Quicken 2015 Windows to QXF, same result, hangs on "checking stock splits". I have done a File Operation --> Copy and then run all of these on the copied file. Same result. I have deleted ALL investing accounts. Same result. I spent hours on the phone with support and they have no answer. No one even seems to know what the software does on "checking stock splits" to know where to even look. This can't be that hard!!! Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    You might try selecting delete price history as an option during the validate. Do this on a copy of the file so you can revert if it does not turn out well.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Not sure, but you might try under the Validate process, the delete price data option.  Stock splits are actually maintained in part within the price history data.  Depending on your real needs, I would do that rather than deleting the investment accounts.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    I actually tried that several times to check the delete price history and rebuild investing lots. Still just hangs. 
  • markus1957
    edited December 2016

I actually tried that several times to check the delete price history and rebuild investing lots. Still just hangs. 

Have you done the super-validate by holding Ctrl+Shift while clicking Validate?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016

Yes. Same result.
  • Quicken Tamara
    Quicken Tamara Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

@james owen -- I'll be reaching out to you through our Quicken Beta mailbox in order to get more information.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016

Any update on this?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

@james owen - did you ever get this resolved. I have the same issue
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

Nope. I had a case escalated and they have no solution. I got refunded. You would think someone at quicken would be able to figure out what's going on. Oh well. Wish I had better news. Please repost if you end up finding a solution. Thanks!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

I'm having the same problem. Also tried copying the file, then running validate on the new file, but no luck.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    I went through all the same stuff. I was basically told I an start over with a new quicken file. It is all about your file by the way. I have the same result with my file on Quicken 2015, 2016, and 2017 for Windows and the latest version for Mac. I do not understand why this is something they can't figure out. I'm thinking it's just something they didn't want to bother with for only a few users. I'm guessing there are many more users out there with this problem, but do not realize it because they haven't had to do an export.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Once again I have the same problem.  Had a call back days later scheduled with a higher level of support.  I also do not understand w
  • markus1957
    edited January 2017

I went through all the same stuff. I was basically told I an start over with a new quicken file. It is all about your file by the way. I have the same result with my file on Quicken 2015, 2016, and 2017 for Windows and the latest version for Mac. I do not understand why this is something they can't figure out. I'm thinking it's just something they didn't want to bother with for only a few users. I'm guessing there are many more users out there with this problem, but do not realize it because they haven't had to do an export.

One other suggestion to try on a copy of your file so you can revert. Run and customize an Investment Transactions report for Date Range, earliest to date and Action, StckSplt. See if you find a split that just doesn't look right and delete it. Otherwise as a test, delete all the Stock Split transactions and see if the validate will then run.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    I just bought Quicken for MAC and now have the same problem.
  • kevin Tinkelman
    kevin Tinkelman Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

having same problem 7/1/17 ,quicken 2017 home and business
  • kevin Tinkelman
    kevin Tinkelman Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

anyone have an idea what to do?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017

There is no solution. You can maintain 2 data bases(pre 2017 and 2017+) but can NEVER combine
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    I am having the exact same issue and I have no investment accounts in the file!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    After repeated import errors (all saying "Checking Stock Splits") I went back and deleted all investment accounts from our old Windows version of Quicken and tried to export again. Same error: "Checking stock splits"). Note I also download and installed the Quick converter; same result. If this error was first reported 9 months ago (apparently), why is it that it remains unresolved??  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017

I deleted ALL investment accounts -- this with stock splits and those without any -- and have the same #fail on import on the Mac. Why is this still outstanding and unresolved? 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    Yeh. I escalated and they wouldn't even try to fix it. Start over was the suggestion. It's great to not have any competition I suppose.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

David,
    Have you also deleted the Price History "file"?
    Click File / File Operations / Validate and Repair. Click "Delete Investing Price History".
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017

Not sure about him, but I certainly did.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    I finally reached telephone customer support (650-250-1900 < 5pm PT) and after walking through a validation process, they offered to have us upload the file, promising to rebuild it within 2 days and send it back to us in a format that the Mac can use. Fingers crossed this will be the solution.   
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    Good luck. I got a similar offer, I received nothing.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    Well, don't hold your breath. I got the same song and dance last April. I did get a refund.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

Have the same problem grrr...image
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I've has this problem for at least 3 versions of QW and I'm hoping I solved it permanently. Here are all the steps I took. I'm not sure if all are needed for everyone. I just know my set up. Also keep in mind I was on a new PC with QW2018 just installed. But I did validate immediately after install and had the error.

Notice I'm in Super Validate mode here (Ctrl-Shift while selecting File\File Operations\Validate File) . 

1. Moved file off NAS on to secondary drive on my desktop PC.
    2. Selected just Delete investment price history and pressed OK
    3. After that completed I selected just Rebuild investment lots and pressed OK
    4. After that completed I selected just Super validate file and pressed OK

Seems now I can do a normal Validate without it getting stuck on "Checking Slock splits"

For now doing the "Happy Dance!"

Hoping this help someone. Please let me know.

Tim
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

I've has this problem for at least 3 versions of QW and I'm hoping I solved it permanently. Here are all the steps I took. I'm not sure if all are needed for everyone. I just know my set up. Also keep in mind I was on a new PC with QW2018 just installed. But I did validate immediately after install and had the error.

Notice I'm in Super Validate mode here (Ctrl-Shift while selecting File\File Operations\Validate File) . 

Seems now I can do a normal Validate without it getting stuck on "Checking Slock splits"

Tim

Tim,
    have you figured out the underlying cause of your data file troubles?

Storing a "live" (or current) Quicken data file on any disk device other than an internal hard drive (e.g., USB device, network attached storage device, a "file in the cloud") is not supported. That's what caused your problems.

The recommended location for your data file is C:\Users\your_username_here\Documents\Quicken

If you have a small SSD as your C:-drive and a 2nd internal hard drive ... you can use either one.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

Tim

Well for now the plan is to just move it locally if I need to validate. Personally I feel it is very poor of Quicken to not support NAS devices since the push for NAS, online or cloud storage is so strong and has been that way for years.

I has the file on my NAS for years and have only a few issues. I've only found out the supported storage while researching this issue. Profile storage is also the most insecure and prone to corruption. Also Quicken could detect if the storage isn't local and refuse to open it or even just require it be local during the validation process. 

I know you're trying to help and thank you for the confirmation. I just have grown tired of the "oh that not supported" line from companies when it's convenient.
This discussion has been closed.