QWin: Can not add my 401k John Hancock Pensions account into Quicken Premier

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Can not add 401k account in Quicken Premier for John Hancock Pensions.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

To be able to give
    you a correct answer, we need to know what version, feature level and release
    of Quicken you are using.  An answer
    given for one product may not apply to the other.

Which version of
    Quicken do you have: Quicken Mac or Quicken for Windows?

If Quicken for
    Windows,

• Do you have the US or the
      Canadian version?
    • Which feature level do you
      have?

US: Starter Edition, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business, Rental
      Property Manager

Canadian: Cash Manager, Home & Business
    • What version (year 20xx) and
      release level do you have?
      Click Help / About
      Quicken (Mac: Quicken / About Quicken) to determine year/version and
      release.
    What version of Windows or Mac OS are you using?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Thanks for your response.  I am using US Quicken Premier for WIndows 7x64. 
    Quicken Premier Version 2018 R2.3 Build 27.1.2.20

When i try to add my 401k account (John Hancock Pensions), it only lists John Hancock Financial services and wants me to put in a ticker.  Please advise.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Darren said:

When i try to add my 401k account (John Hancock Pensions), it only lists John Hancock Financial services and wants me to put in a ticker.  Please advise.

Elaborate upon "wants me to put in a ticker".  

OR, have you gotten to the point where it's asking what you hold in the account.  What do you hold in the account, and does JH tell you the share balances?  Does JH tell you the ticker for the security(s) held?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Darren said:

It wants me to enter a ticker symbol for each security in my account.  Quicken states, "If your computer is connected to the Internet, Quicken uses the ticker symbol to download security details for you.  If you don't know the ticker symbol, click Ticker Symbol Lookup."
    I don't know if these are related to the security but I currently have for my investment options: 
    • Vanguard Mid-Cap Value ETF
    • Vanguard Growth Index Fund
    • Mid Cap Index Fund
    • Capital Appreciation Fund
    John Hancock does not tell me the ticker.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Darren said:

The first 2 MIGHT have ticker symbols that you could look up at Vanguard's website.  BUT, in doing so, check the last quote for those 2 funds against what JH is showing.

MANY insurance companies have "clone funds"  that have the same name as retail funds ... but COMPLETELY different prices.

The last 2 are probably proprietary JH funds.  It's unlikely that they'd have available quotes.

SO, on that "What securities are in this account" page, I'd just enter the fund names ... and no tickers ... and see what happens.  See the note at the bottom of the window.

Take a backup before proceeding any further with this ... just in case.  It's easier to restore from a backup than to unwind all of this.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I am able to find the ticker symbols but I am still unable to sync my account from John Hancock Pensions as the only option is John Hancock Financial Services and I do not have an account with them.  I still cannot add my 401k account from John Hancock Pensions (www.jhpensions.com).  Please advise.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options
    When you are adding an account, toward the bottom of the window, there is an "advanced setup" selection for you to click.  That will let you add the account without making the online connection to JH.  

Not all financial institutions support all account types.  I have no idea if JH supports the 401k account into Quicken or not.  You are saying no, based on what you have seen so far.  

Once you have established the Quicken account manually to represent your JH 401k account, you will (apparently) need to maintain that account by manually entering the transactions.  (Deposits to the account from your paycheck can still be "automatically" entered as part of your paycheck entry if that is what is happening.)  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Seems like I will have to go the advanced setup route and manually update the account. Thanks for all yalls help.  If anyone else has any suggestions, it is much appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.