Problem with recording a stock gift to Charity in Quicken H&B 2017

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I have recorded a charitable stock gift as follows (all on the same date):
1- Removed 189 shares from brokerage account using stock lots for maximum gain
2- ADDED 189 shares to brokerage acct. at average selling price for that date
3- SOLD 189 shares from brokerage account at the exact same price as step 2
4- Recorded a cash transaction from linked brokerage account and allocated the expense to charity.
PROBLEM:  In step 3, when I tried to specify the lots to sell from, I was only able to see 91 shares from the added 189 shares in step 2.  What happened to the other 98 shares??

Please advise.  Thanks for your help.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Proper process is:
    1) Remove shares at their cost (not current value)
    2) ADD shares at current value.  This gets the CapGain out of the account, and sets the value of the donation
    3) Sell shares at current value (which results in no CapGain, since Buy Value = Sale Value)
    4) Remove the cash using the WITHDRAW action that's all the way at the bottom of the Action List.  Direct the cash to your Charitable Contrib account.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options
    PROBLEM:  In step 3, when I tried to specify the lots to sell from, I was only able to see 91 shares from the added 189 shares in step 2.  What happened to the other 98 shares??
    My experiences and readings of this type of problem would suggest that somewhere along the line a transaction has been mangled.  Thus you need to walk back through the various prior transaction to see when this behavior first develops, and then delete and re-enter the problematic transactions.  I do not know of a simple way to determine those problematic transactions other than trial and error -- seeing when you can properly sell all the shares and when you cannot.  

I have no issues with the process you outlined.  
    When you Remove Shares you remove the lots you choose.  You are not specifying a "current value".
    Your reference to "average selling price for that date" is an acceptable method for determining the "current value" of the security.  
This discussion has been closed.